jackwallace

oshkosh 15

I've heard rumors of a 5 point 100 at Oshkosh. Not even a mention of jumpers on the performer list or daily schedule. Hasn't changed much since I was there 40 years ago.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

EAA press release from January:

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/2015-eaa-airventure-oshkosh/01-22-2015-airventure-to-host-world-record-sky-diving-attempts
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

mirage62

Yeah, the 100 way was so super secret they would have probably have killed them if they published anything.

Sure hope the weather is good.

Keep in mind it's an Experimental Aircraft Association 'Air Show' - not a boogie or skydiving meet.

99% of the attendees couldn't care less about the sport of Skydiving or the skill involved with what's going on in respect to it.

I've been part of the parachute demonstration opening act there for 30 years...trust me, there is little concern or regard for anything Skydiving at that event.

It primarily attracts the hardcore aviation enthusiast...it was made blatantly clear from the first performance there, that the event is ALL about airplanes.

It's arguably the largest Air Show in the world - a highly technical and choreographed production that is a full 12 months in the planning.

You are given a set of 'performance parameters' that include things like absolute time specific demands for start and duration, presentation and conduct just to name a few - safety & entertainment value are paramount concerns of the EAA.

To the convention management & faithfuls alike...the airplane is the star of the show ~ that kinda puts 'us' at a distinct disadvantage.

That being said however ~ this IS an absolutely fantastic opportunity to showcase OUR sport at a venue & on a scope very rarely afforded us as a group.

I wish the greatest success to all of those involved ~ I hope 'we' do everything possible to capitalize on the exposure!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I (for one) certainly understand that. As a pilot I really don't care a bunch about the skydiving but it was a fun way to get to see a little of it.

Sure will be interesting if they (organizers of the big way) can keep on the time schedule.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

I (for one) certainly understand that. As a pilot I really don't care a bunch about the skydiving but it was a fun way to get to see a little of it.

Sure will be interesting if they (organizers of the big way) can keep on the time schedule.

I could be wrong...but as I understand it, the attempt will be an 'attraction' somewhat separate of the show itself.

There are always things going on for several hours prior to the 'official' start of the scheduled show...gives some leeway with the clock.

We usually do a VIP tandem or two during that warm up time...EAA understands this attempt isn't a 'demo jump' but a shot at a record.

I should probably hook BJ up with the announcers now (if he isn't already) so we can get lots of and the right kind of publicity

Still to drop 108 people over the field.....well there doesn't need to be ANY PLANES in the air - below us. :)
Can't see how the exposure to large formation skydiving can be anything but positive provided we avoid some of the "normal" big way shenanigans.

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

Still to drop 108 people over the field.....well there doesn't need to be ANY PLANES in the air - below us. :)
Can't see how the exposure to large formation skydiving can be anything but positive provided we avoid some of the "normal" big way shenanigans.

I'm sure there won't be any conflicts regarding aircraft...that week is usually seeded with top-notch ATC.

Trust me, won't even be any props turning on the ground during that thing.

As far as good 'exposure' ~ 'lets' just keep everybody East of the runway! ;)

Landing among the spectators or dinging up some hardware would certainly be frowned upon.

Might wanna keep in mind - because of the type of event it is...the place is crawling with feds who actually know the book chapter & verse.

It's a badge of honor so to speak 'earning' a gubment paid spot in Wisconsin for a week - those involved should anticipate possible scrutiny.

*story time! :ph34r:

Sometimes I've gotten a nod and a "nice job"...and sometimes I've had to show in date licenses, ratings & packing data cards.

Once had a guy inspect my rig & tell me I had to keep the 'conforms to AD' card on the rig itself, in with the packing data card - how that wuffo even knew there was once an AD on that model container - well it's telling.

A few years back a popular sponsored energy drink team did a short stint during the show...wing suit guys pulled ummm...LOW & and a world class swooper did his thing what is 'officially' considered WAY too close to the spectators.

The fed standing on the central platform next to the air-boss made some comments (or so I was told) and 'different arrangements' were made. That's 'No Bull' :)

OTOH ~ what a fantastic opportunity to show case something most would only see in a ten second blurb (maybe) on late night news...

If I've learned nothing else in the 38 years I've been doing Air Shows - it's 'the sizzle that sells the steak'.

In other words ~ the hype is what makes the real lasting impression. The back 'Story' to start, the rudimentary explanation in layman's terms of what the crowd is about to see...in depth explanation regarding the skill and the thrill.

Then build the anticipation ~ "Best men & women in the country gathered together...highly advanced skills & training put to the ultimate test....dedication and teamwork on a scale never before seen...timing & precision with no margin for error in the MOST adrenaline fueled dynamic environment..."

The 'play by play' ~ "As we see the critical all important base build, those closing in MUST be aware of absolutely everyone's position in the sky around this ultimate WORLD RECORD...unbelievably challenging in that three dimensional SKYDIVING dance floor..."

The yahoo they did it - or the oh so close..."Lets all show our appreciation as these seekers of perfection - these artists of the sky - land softly back with us on mother earth..."

Yadda yadda yadda...:$

~ ~ Having a pre-written script for the show announcers that's in their grubby little hands, DAYS prior to the attempt / performance is how it's done these days.

I email a copy of our narration to each announcer a week in advance of the show (any show) - followed up a few days later with a phone call to confirm they received it, answer any questions & make any necessary changes.

Baseball is fun to play but pretty damn boring to watch unless there is a talented 'color man' talking up what's happening on the field...this is the same thing -

Welcome to the big leagues fellas - It ain't Skydivin' ~ it's SHOW BUSINESS!

B|

kallend

Air to ground video stream would help. Do you know if they're planning that? Otherwise the only thing spectators will see is the break-off at around 6 - 7k

Good point Doc, I don't know it that's planned...logistical nightmare though.

That would be a lotta jumbo-trons in a lotta places to be effective.

That's the reason we exit @ 5k

Air to ground video steam would NOT help. People would be looking at the screen or their cell phones instead of the skydivers. its the last part of the dive that is impressive for the spectator, and that's also when the formation, if successful, will complete. At that point it is easy to see; and hear. Live video feed would only be a distraction. Saw a video'd one (single demo jumper in a stadium) and instead of looking at the skydiver, they were looking at the pathetic screen - even though the skydiver was right in front of them! Bad idea.

As Twardo said, it will be the announcer that will make it an exciting show. Or a "ho hum". The excitement will not be created by the record being broken, nor the complex interweaving of the skydivers, nor the formation. The skill of the announcer will make or break this event as "spectacular" or just "kinda unique".

The "Show Business" part/skill is the part of demo jumping least understood by most.

The guy that did the announcing at the Wis Dells back in the 70's was the best ever. He went by Colonel something. I had a couple thousand jumps and went up to visit the guys for the weekend. I watched the show and I thought for sure they were going to die or worse the way he announced it. Then the nest day one of the guys had a spinning mal on a Delta II and took it in the lake. The Colonel made it sound like it was a normal part of the act. Show biz!!
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

There are a number of 'professional' announcers that travel the country doing air shows for a living.

Most have been doing it so long that they can 'fill' time with all kinds of interesting stuff about Skydiving...the history, the gear. the formations etc.

In today's 'politically correct' entertainment environment it's taboo to make anything sound Dangerous ~ instead it's Thrilling ~ just don't try it at home!
:ph34r:

Tommy wasn't the announcer. I think the guy's name was Colonel Tom Parker, but it was the 70's so who knows. Rollard or Jimmy D should.
scr 316

airtwardo

***Yeah, the 100 way was so super secret they would have probably have killed them if they published anything.

Sure hope the weather is good.

Keep in mind it's an Experimental Aircraft Association 'Air Show' - not a boogie or skydiving meet.

99% of the attendees couldn't care less about the sport of Skydiving or the skill involved with what's going on in respect to it.

I've been part of the parachute demonstration opening act there for 30 years...trust me, there is little concern or regard for anything Skydiving at that event.

It primarily attracts the hardcore aviation enthusiast...it was made blatantly clear from the first performance there, that the event is ALL about airplanes.

It's arguably the largest Air Show in the world - a highly technical and choreographed production that is a full 12 months in the planning.

You are given a set of 'performance parameters' that include things like absolute time specific demands for start and duration, presentation and conduct just to name a few - safety & entertainment value are paramount concerns of the EAA.

To the convention management & faithfuls alike...the airplane is the star of the show ~ that kinda puts 'us' at a distinct disadvantage.

That being said however ~ this IS an absolutely fantastic opportunity to showcase OUR sport at a venue & on a scope very rarely afforded us as a group.

I wish the greatest success to all of those involved ~ I hope 'we' do everything possible to capitalize on the exposure!
Hi Jim,
Best wises for you,Yours and "Your Team!!!!!" Go Buddy!!!" Do It!, Fly The Flag and have a "BLAST" Doing It!!!
Yer' ol' Cal. Sky Buddy!!,
Blue skies,
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Seems like almost complete silence about this on the EAA side of the equation (I don't see word one on any of the AirVenture sites). Are KOSH jumps still planned for Wednesday and Friday (per the original HoF announcement), or what? Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any mention at all on the EAA schedule of events.