CarlosDanger

How I became a vertical elite. My road to the 170 way record.

It would be my dream to be invited on a vertical world record. Unfortunately, I don't live in socal, eloy, or deland so even if I built the skills, how do you build a reputation to be invited?

Anyways, I thought if any of the record guys still read this forum, it would be awesome to hear how you got the invite.

I know some of teh French and Swiss dudes and dudettes on the record. They certainly live farther away than you from these places.

How to get invited ? jump, jump around, move, get coaching, get social... and get good enough :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Exactly what skydivecat said, go to the tryout camps. Bear in mind that if you're not good enough you'll get cut. This can happen on jump number one and that means you lose your registration fee and all the money it's cost you to get there.

The same goes for the actual record, getting an invite doesn't mean you won't get cut. There are plenty of people that went to tryouts, earned an invite and have now been cut while in Chicago due to not performing well enough.

CarlosDanger

It would be my dream to be invited on a vertical world record. Unfortunately, I don't live in socal, eloy, or deland so even if I built the skills, how do you build a reputation to be invited?

Anyways, I thought if any of the record guys still read this forum, it would be awesome to hear how you got the invite.

It's not about where you live. It's about investing the time and resources to be selected. Case in point - Ben Nelson. He jumps in Houston but has been very committed to doing the right things. He's only been jumping for 4 years but has amassed 5,000 jumps and has become an influential player in the freefly world.

Only you limit you.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

My dz was 4 hrs away from Deland, I only had 2,500 jumps but travelled the country, went to camps and earned my slot on the 400 way.

It was a great advent for me and I bet it would be for you.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

skydivecat

They did multiple skills and tryout camps all over the country in the months leading up to the record. If you want to be on one, show up, jump, and earn you spot.

ALL OVER THE WORLD.

I know loads of people on the record, more from NON USA countries than USA.
Get good, REALLY GOOD. got to boogies, go to training camps, network and get to know people. Go to selection try outs.
Oh and GET REALLY GOOD.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

CarlosDanger

It would be my dream to be invited on a major Hollywood production. Unfortunately, I don't live in L.A., New York, or London so even if I built the skills, how do you build a reputation to be invited?

Anyways, I thought if any of the Hollywood guys still read this forum, it would be awesome to hear how you got the invite.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

It's doable, but you'll need $$ and commitment. I too live in a place where you can't jump year round (as much as you'd like) and the skill level around to jump with constantly just isn't abundant either. But I did get the invite on the previous record and was a part of it. I went to a TON of camps ($$) and jumped my ass off (commitment).
my pics & stuff!