LBobRife

Skydiving in Australia (USPA transfer to APF)

Hi Guys,

I'll be living in Australia for a few months this fall (spring?) and haven't been able to find much information online about what I need to do regarding my license in order to make sure I'm ready to jump. I hold a USPA B license; is there a process I need to complete to receive an APF license, or will I be able to jump under that USPA certification? Does anyone have any experience with this? Figured I'd ask here before calling the DZ I plan on jumping at (still not sure on that; thinking Byron Bay)

Thanks!

The dropzone will manage that for you; even as only a visiting jumper, I still had to purchase a membership for APF. It was no big deal.

Byron Bay is a gorgeous DZ with a terrific staff. Ask for Jose, he'll get you sorted. He's also a USPA licensed jumper in addition to being an APF instructor.

Awesome, thanks DSE.

Any other DZs in the area you recommend checking out while I'm there? Anything within a few hours' drive from Gold Coast is fair game.

The dropzone will manage that for you; even as only a visiting jumper, I still had to purchase a membership for APF. It was no big deal.

Byron Bay is a gorgeous DZ with a terrific staff. Ask for Jose, he'll get you sorted. He's also a USPA licensed jumper in addition to being an APF instructor.

LBobRife

Hi Guys,

I'll be living in Australia for a few months this fall (spring?) and haven't been able to find much information online about what I need to do regarding my license in order to make sure I'm ready to jump. I hold a USPA B license; is there a process I need to complete to receive an APF license, or will I be able to jump under that USPA certification? Does anyone have any experience with this? Figured I'd ask here before calling the DZ I plan on jumping at (still not sure on that; thinking Byron Bay)

Thanks!

You may need to complete the B-rel training table before you can transfer to an APF B license.

Have a look at this document: http://www.apf.asn.au/ArticleDocuments/45/Certificate%20Class%20B%20Training%20Guide%20201401.pdf.aspx

Have a chat to the instructors once you get there.

Byron has a pretty heavy focus on tandems at the moment with the exception of the Wicked Wednesdays they run from time to time.

LBobRife

Hi Guys,

I'll be living in Australia for a few months this fall (spring?) and haven't been able to find much information online ..

Odd that you couldn't find anything?> I went to the APF website, looked at the various options and clicked the one that said 'overseas visitors and non APF members'.

ouch

***Hi Guys,

I'll be living in Australia for a few months this fall (spring?) and haven't been able to find much information online ..

Odd that you couldn't find anything?> I went to the APF website, looked at the various options and clicked the one that said 'overseas visitors and non APF members'.

http://www.apf.asn.au/Members/Overseas-Visitors-and-Non-APF-Members/default.aspx

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You will need to join the Australian Parachute Federation. There are options for short term and full year. When you rock up to a DZ you're current qualifications will be assessed and you will be able to apply for the equivalent APF Certificate, if you wish. This can all be found in the APF Operational Regulations, which are on the APF web site.
http://www.apf.asn.au/ArticleDocuments/468/APF%20Operational%20Regulations%2020140501.pdf.aspx
See Part 4 - Visitors from Overseas or Outside the APF System.
Bring your current licence/qualifications and log book.
Hope you have a beaut time downunder.

Kim Hardwick
Technical Officer
Australian Parachute Federation