jheadley

Pilot chute uncocked, repack it in the plane?

I've seen a couple main pins that popped in the plane on the ride up or near jump run. One person (a student), lied on his back while the instructors closed the container and repacked the P/C. Another person took the rig off and closed the container and repacked the P/C himself. I would think that'd be better than opening the door with an open container and having people jump out or making the whole plane ride down.

In your case, I guess it's your decision to repack it or ride the plane down since the others can do what they want without danger to anyone.

I had my main pin pulled and have seen other skydivers main pin get pulled just before the door was called, both times caused a go around. I have not been on a load where the PC was found un-cocked. I agree with Bill that an un-cocked PC should be caught on the ground before the rig was even put on.

Its kind of spooky skydiving knowing your main was freshly closed moments before you jumped, and you had no chance to check it your self.
Memento Mori

Another one from dublin, in the CASA, guy next to me was noticed to have a PC that was hanging a good ways out of his rig, so he asked me to stuff it back in there... Not seeing any big deal with that, I did. As he stood up getting ready to run out the door it was noticed that not only had his PC come out but now the bridal was hanging almost completely out, he had been sitting on it or something and I didnt notice it, the plane was pretty packed.

1: Make sure your gear is good before you get in the plane!
2: Make sure you dont snag your gear on anything in the plane to cause your handles to get pulled etc.
3: If someone needs a PC pushed back in, check the bridal too (doh!) :S

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Depending upon what type of gear one has. Cocking a PC after the canopy is in the bag can cause damage to the parachute upon opening. If your on the ground, You might be able to put your hand inside the bag and prevent the Kill line and the metal attachment ring from snagging fabric while a buddy cocks the PC. I know jumpers who standard pack job is to bag the canopy and then cock the PC. Oh well, just don't do it to mine. Thanks;)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan