SkydiverTilt

Turn an old rig into a working backpack

Hey Group...I can't believe it but I saw my old skydiving rig (Jav J1) pop up for sale on a site. It's now beat to ever livin shit and being sold pretty cheap.

I was thinking about buying it and turning it into a very cool looking backpack. Does anyone have any experience doing this? (and I'm not talking about experience with those cheap backpacks made to look like rig backs).

I think it would be cool to pin the legs up somehow to reinforce the bottom, put a camelback compartment in...etc...

anyway, any ideas would be appreciated. thanks!
When you are at a party stop asking people "What do you do?" ask them..."What do you do for fun?"

What if you sewed a zipper along the edge of a riser cover, from the shoulder yoke down to the main pin cover?
If you wanted to get really fancy, you could continue the zipper all the way back up to the other shoulder. Mind you, that configuration would not keep the rain out.
As for the harness .... I would cut off 90 percent to reduce weight and install conventional, 1 inch wide, plastic buckles on the new shoulder straps.

How often do people pick up rigs that don't belong to them and jump them without a pin check at your dropzone? :$

However, I do agree it would make me nervous seeing someone walk around the DZ with some frankenstein bastardized rig pulling dirty socks or bologna sandwiches out of it.

Get a new back pack...[:/] +1

For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

jumpwally

What if you left it laying around and some idiot didn't know what it was but then jumped it ? Get a new back pack...[:/]

Seriously? He said he was planning on removing / permanently fastening up the leg straps. How could anyone put a rig on that was not theirs, without leg straps, without risers, without handles, and without feeling like a 20lb brick?

Far more likely to get on a plane without a rig at all than a backpack that looked like a rig.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

uer16

Did it once, would not recommend. The flap geometry was awkward to sew zippers on, looked like crap afterwards.

Who needs zippers? Just sew the side and bottom flaps together and rig some kind of attachment/latch for the top flap, like where you push a button to release...

Now that reminds me (was a while ago). I didn't actually sew any zippers, but was planning originally. I sewed the side and bottom flaps together on both reserve and main (was awkward due to stiffeners). Put 3 fastex clips on top main flap, and one clip on the top reserve flap. Then cut off the legstraps without replacing the heavy webbing. Basically exactly like you're describing.

It can probably be done to look nice, if one has skill/talent (I don't).

Also, not sure how one would put a rig on with no legstraps, but then again, people jumped after forgetting to put a rig on at all :S..

DiverMike

However, I do agree it would make me nervous seeing someone walk around the DZ with some frankenstein bastardized rig pulling dirty socks or bologna sandwiches out of it.

This was the funniest thing I read all day!!
When you are at a party stop asking people "What do you do?" ask them..."What do you do for fun?"

DiverMike

How often do people pick up rigs that don't belong to them and jump them without a pin check at your dropzone? :$

I've seen it done twice.

One guy with about 100 jumps ended up on a sub-100 Velocity. :D

He was smart enough to cutaway and land the 120 reserve.

yoink

***How often do people pick up rigs that don't belong to them and jump them without a pin check at your dropzone? :$

I've seen it done twice.

One guy with about 100 jumps ended up on a sub-100 Velocity. :D

He was smart enough to cutaway and land the 120 reserve.

If that was my rig and the landing didn't break him I sure as hell would.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging