2 2
swoopfly

USPA deemed FAA medical invalid

hello

The topic of discussion, USPA has acted to what seems to many examiners and members as an inappropriate disciplinary action against a member. They have made a judgement that the members Class 3 medical is invalid based solely on the compliance groups investigation. Disregarding the FAA website clearly showing the Instructor has a current Class 3 medical and even had verification from the FAA that the medical is still in date and valid. The USPA has looked behind the members valid FAA medical and deemed it not acceptable for USPA tandem instructor rating. Therefore "claiming" the instructor violated USPA BSR's "conducting tandem jumps without a Class 3 medical Certificate" . Im reaching out as a topic to discuss, what right do you think USPA has to Judge a medical certificate? They do not issues medicals, they have no person on staff that even has a medical license and further and foremost they are not appointed by the FAA to make such an arbitrary decision against the member.        

The compliance group accused the member of being on a prescription medication that the member was not on. They concluded that they have credible proof that it’s true. After the member provided documentation from a doctor that they were not on said medication , the CG said that was not proof enough that the member should get in writing from an FAA AME the same documentation ...,that the member was not taking said medication. After the member once again provided the same letter from an FAA AME concluding the same story that said member was not on the medication the CG said that was not proof enough and then took disciplinary action against the member suspending the members tandem rating , claiming they do not have a class 3 medical and it violates their BSR. While never expressing to the member why or how the “credible proof” they have would deem a class 3 medical invalid . 

I am confused. Why would the USPA have any awareness of the medications that a Class 3 medical holder is taking, allowed prohibited or otherwise?

When you say Compliance Group, you are referring to a USPA governance group, and not an FAA medical review board?

Forget the USPA, I am curious how did the FAA get on the scent of a prohibited medication in the first place that was actually not prescribed or used? If you didn't take it you wouldn't disclose it during your medical, and if it wasn't prescribed it shouldn't have been in your medical records.

7 hours ago, DougH said:

I am confused. Why would the USPA have any awareness of the medications that a Class 3 medical holder is taking, allowed prohibited or otherwise?

When you say Compliance Group, you are referring to a USPA governance group, and not an FAA medical review board?

Forget the USPA, I am curious how did the FAA get on the scent of a prohibited medication in the first place that was actually not prescribed or used? If you didn't take it you wouldn't disclose it during your medical, and if it wasn't prescribed it shouldn't have been in your medical records.

It was a medication that was prescribed but stopped after one time use due to adverse side effects. The FAA is aware the medication was prescribed . The FAA medical is still valid . The concern here is that USPA believes they have the authority to say the medical was invalid based solely on a picture of a prescription from 2 years ago ..... USPA website claims that the instructor is responsible for their medical .USPA in this case decided to take matters into their own hands and just outright suspend the members rating . First claiming the instructor terroristicly threatened their tandem students , then mid investigation , dropping that and claiming their medical was no good. While failing to give information as to WHY they believed that !

A simple review of medical records (family doctor and pharmacist) should confirm whether or not the TI is still taking that medication.

For example, I only took Gravol for one week (circa 1984) but hated the side effects (e.g. copper taste in my mouth) and quit taking Gravol. I have not touched the drug since.

I suspect that there is a lot more to this story than USPA have published.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, BIGUN said:

Speculation: Wouldn't be the first time one TI screwed another one to get their rotation. 

Not the first time this has happened.

Back during the late 1990s, I remember one know drug dealer accusing a TI of selling drugs. Yes, the accusee had done prison time for drug-related crimes, but that was years earlier and I had not seen him do any recreational drugs (stronger than alcohol) during the 2 or 3 years that I knew him.

"Mr. Kettle, may I introduce you to Mr. Pot?"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, riggerrob said:

A simple review of medical records (family doctor and pharmacist) should confirm whether or not the TI is still taking that medication.

For example, I only took Gravol for one week (circa 1984) but hated the side effects (e.g. copper taste in my mouth) and quit taking Gravol. I have not touched the drug since.

I suspect that there is a lot more to this story than USPA have published.

So to keep the discussion back on topic , who do you report medications too at USPA? Which doctor is the one they have on staff that determines your Medical validity ?  Can this same USPA doctor you report to issues the medical as well ? If so why does USPA not issue the medical ?