srikanth_1980m

AFF Course Advise

I booked 10 min Wind Tunnel time..is this enough.

For last 6 Months, I am building my stamina.
I jog 30 KM/week, 1 HR Weights Workout.
Changed my eating habits especially White Rice to Brown Rice, now to Corn flakes...
I don't eat for dinner on Tuesday...
All this reduced my weight from 74 Kg to 69 Kg...May be 1 kg more by 21 SEP.
These are things I did in past:
1) World Height Bungy Jump (Macau Towers)
2) Tandem Skydive
3) World Highest via Ferrata activity on Mt Kota Kinabalu
4) World Dangerous Plank Walk in Xian
5) Water Rafting
6) Light weight aircraft experience
7) Scuba Diving
8) Paragliding/Parasailing
9) Hug some tigers/Crocodiles/Snakes/Bat/Monkey/orangutan/Birds etc.
10)Boat Race,Ice Skating ,Mega Zip,Roller costars etc etc

In spite of all these, I dono why, I am a bit afraid..it’s like in night I get dreams like "I am unable to do it", while I am awake,watch some video's , I want to do it.

In one word I dono if I can control the nerves this time.

Was it same with anybody else? Please advise.

srikanth_1980m

I booked 10 min Wind Tunnel time..is this enough.

For last 6 Months, I am building my stamina.
I jog 30 KM/week, 1 HR Weights Workout.
Changed my eating habits especially White Rice to Brown Rice, now to Corn flakes...
I don't eat for dinner on Tuesday...
All this reduced my weight from 74 Kg to 69 Kg...May be 1 kg more by 21 SEP.
These are things I did in past:
1) World Height Bungy Jump (Macau Towers)
2) Tandem Skydive
3) World Highest via Ferrata activity on Mt Kota Kinabalu
4) World Dangerous Plank Walk in Xian
5) Water Rafting
6) Light weight aircraft experience
7) Scuba Diving
8) Paragliding/Parasailing
9) Hug some tigers/Crocodiles/Snakes/Bat/Monkey/orangutan/Birds etc.
10)Boat Race,Ice Skating ,Mega Zip,Roller costars etc etc

In spite of all these, I dono why, I am a bit afraid..it’s like in night I get dreams like "I am unable to do it", while I am awake,watch some video's , I want to do it.

In one word I dono if I can control the nerves this time.

Was it same with anybody else? Please advise.

Stop bragging and start jumping ;).

Srikanth,

From what I am reading, you have a bulk deficit of "follow through". Your online persona and list of activities indicate that you are long on anticipation and short on action. You have a tendency to do a lot of things but never take the time to master any skill (Except Oracle programming).
There is a high probability that you will do the AFF course, get some pictures and videos to post online and when confronted by the long road to acquiring a skill set - you will be off to the next adventure etc etc.
Your achievements are cool. Really! They are superficial and indicative of a lack of dedication to a single craft. You have done many amazing things as a novice. Every activity has the initial phase where you have an improvement from zero skills to being a n00b. That improvement happens very fast because when you are starting from zero, any improvement looks like a lot. And then the adrenaline/newness/novelty wears off and you are required to make an investment in gear, time and attention. It is hard to see incremental improvement after the initial rapid progression.
The learning curve in skydiving can be a double-edged sword: It is possible to take it slow by performing tandem and static line jumps with tunnel time to de-couple the freefall and canopy portion of the jumps and putting them together later. You can also start AFF and in 7 jumps be a solo jumper. Both methods work. Some people like the slower path and others find it boring. Some people like the fast path and others find it overwhelming or get the bowling speech.
I am guessing that someone like you will have no problems getting through AFF (with one caveat that I will get to later). Ultimately, "getting through" the AFF or AFP course is like removing the training wheels on a bicycle and it is a far cry from mountain biking, BMX-ing or Tour-de-France.
Your largest obstacle in this endeavor is yourself. And this is where the caveat from above comes in to play. You are your own worst enemy, more precisely: your ego. I found it very difficult to jump with my ego on the back. It increased my wing loading, takes too much room in the plane, it is a bitch to get in the bag, it interferes in the dirt dive and generally makes me look like an a$$hole (ask anyone who knows me, they all hate my ego). My hardest skill to acquire was to stop farting in the plane but second that was to murder my ego. Thankfully, I had many willing accomplices! The ground hit me a few times, the S&TA took me aside, the door scraped my hand, load organizers showed me more patience than I deserved, I got "Burked". My ego still props up once in a while but mostly after a few drinks and it slinks away once I put my rig on.
If you are not a bit afraid: you don't understand the seriousness of the situation and should not do this activity. Confidence is quiet, insecurities are loud.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

philipturneraa

You win the prize for active procrastination! ; )

In my view, having no fear while getting ready to jump out of an aeroplane for the first time would be cause for concern.

In other words, just get on with it - sounds to me like you'll love it!!! : )))

Thats the problem here..I dono if I love it or not...my fear is coming in between...

I know if I cross 2 or 3 levels of AFF course..I will be fine..

decompresion

Srikanth,

From what I am reading, you have a bulk deficit of "follow through". Your online persona and list of activities indicate that you are long on anticipation and short on action. You have a tendency to do a lot of things but never take the time to master any skill (Except Oracle programming).
There is a high probability that you will do the AFF course, get some pictures and videos to post online and when confronted by the long road to acquiring a skill set - you will be off to the next adventure etc etc.
Your achievements are cool. Really! They are superficial and indicative of a lack of dedication to a single craft. You have done many amazing things as a novice. Every activity has the initial phase where you have an improvement from zero skills to being a n00b. That improvement happens very fast because when you are starting from zero, any improvement looks like a lot. And then the adrenaline/newness/novelty wears off and you are required to make an investment in gear, time and attention. It is hard to see incremental improvement after the initial rapid progression.
The learning curve in skydiving can be a double-edged sword: It is possible to take it slow by performing tandem and static line jumps with tunnel time to de-couple the freefall and canopy portion of the jumps and putting them together later. You can also start AFF and in 7 jumps be a solo jumper. Both methods work. Some people like the slower path and others find it boring. Some people like the fast path and others find it overwhelming or get the bowling speech.
I am guessing that someone like you will have no problems getting through AFF (with one caveat that I will get to later). Ultimately, "getting through" the AFF or AFP course is like removing the training wheels on a bicycle and it is a far cry from mountain biking, BMX-ing or Tour-de-France.
Your largest obstacle in this endeavor is yourself. And this is where the caveat from above comes in to play. You are your own worst enemy, more precisely: your ego. I found it very difficult to jump with my ego on the back. It increased my wing loading, takes too much room in the plane, it is a bitch to get in the bag, it interferes in the dirt dive and generally makes me look like an a$$hole (ask anyone who knows me, they all hate my ego). My hardest skill to acquire was to stop farting in the plane but second that was to murder my ego. Thankfully, I had many willing accomplices! The ground hit me a few times, the S&TA took me aside, the door scraped my hand, load organizers showed me more patience than I deserved, I got "Burked". My ego still props up once in a while but mostly after a few drinks and it slinks away once I put my rig on.
If you are not a bit afraid: you don't understand the seriousness of the situation and should not do this activity. Confidence is quiet, insecurities are loud.

I wonder how you know that I am working on Oracle..

Any way thanks for your advise.

As you said I never tried perfection at anything, this is my journey to know what I really love.

Out of many activities in past the most I remember and like was Tandem Skydiving.

So by doing AFF course I want to clarify myself if I really like it or not.

In all the activities, I had this gut feeling that "I will be fine"...but somehow I am not getting this for AFF Course (Starting 21st SEP with SkydiveOZ in Mourya)

I am sure I have dedication to do this activity; this must be evident from my daily routine like jogging or weights workout …I never did anything like this for other activities.

srikanth_1980m

***You win the prize for active procrastination! ; )

In my view, having no fear while getting ready to jump out of an aeroplane for the first time would be cause for concern.

In other words, just get on with it - sounds to me like you'll love it!!! : )))

Thats the problem here..I dono if I love it or not...my fear is coming in between...

I know if I cross 2 or 3 levels of AFF course..I will be fine..

Actually it is pretty common for some people to do well for the first few jumps and then fear starts bothering them as they learn what all can go wrong and that it is not just a fun ride over and over.

To jump you really have to trust in the gear, yourself, and the instruction. Be if you do trust, then fear should not be in the picture. Cautious concern, yes, lots of that.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I wonder how you know that I am working on Oracle.

Google and linkedin
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/srikanth-punagasela/24/b19/984
DOB: 26 December 1980
Address: 11-185, 11th floor, 520 Block, Jurong West Street 52, Singapore-640520

I am sure I have dedication to do this activity; this must be evident from my daily routine like jogging or weights workout …I never did anything like this for other activities.

Your online persona and list of activities indicate that you are long on anticipation and short on action.

I never did anything like this for other activities

Maybe you can try going to http://www.iflysingapore.com/ instead of lifting weights and jogging. It might create a much more relevant skill-set for skydiving.
I am sorry if this is coming out as a bit of a bashing. I get carried away.
Only dangerous divers

decompresion

I wonder how you know that I am working on Oracle.

Google and linkedin
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/srikanth-punagasela/24/b19/984
DOB: 26 December 1980
Address: 11-185, 11th floor, 520 Block, Jurong West Street 52, Singapore-640520

***I am sure I have dedication to do this activity; this must be evident from my daily routine like jogging or weights workout …I never did anything like this for other activities.

Your online persona and list of activities indicate that you are long on anticipation and short on action.

I never did anything like this for other activities

Maybe you can try going to http://www.iflysingapore.com/ instead of lifting weights and jogging. It might create a much more relevant skill-set for skydiving.
I am sorry if this is coming out as a bit of a bashing. I get carried away.

Booked 10 dives with iflydown under in Sydney on 20th SEP,while I start course on 21st SEP..and jump from 22nd SEP...10 dives=11 mins..is this enough or should I go for more..pls advise.

srikanth_1980m

Booked 10 dives with iflydown under in Sydney on 20th SEP,while I start course on 21st SEP..and jump from 22nd SEP...10 dives=11 mins..is this enough or should I go for more..pls advise.

For someone who is supposed to be computer savvy, you are behaving like a dial-up user. There is a "search" function in the top right corner of the page.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=AFF%20tunnel&sb=score&mh=25
Read my post in this one:
http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/General_Skydiving_Discussions_F18/Is_a_windtunnel_worth_it_for_AFF_P4378808/
And this one:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4373312#4373312
In other words: How should I (someone you have never met) should know if you (someone I have never met) will benefit from tunnel time before AFF. I am not an AFF instructor. I am not a tunnel instructor. I am not even a competent skydiver. I might be a teenager troll without a clue (but I do know how to use the search function).
Only dangerous divers