4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

35 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You're right, as always. Let us know if you need three more sniper rifles or have you yet sorted out how to make those? Fun fact, the Canadian CA15C2 Sniper rifle is made by Christensen Arms. Guess where they are located.

You mean the CA15 LRSW that is built by McMillan Firearms located in Phoenix?

(CA is in Utah)

You might be fun, but not factual.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You mean the CA15 LRSW that is built by McMillan Firearms located in Phoenix?

(CA is in Utah)

You might be fun, but not factual.

Can you for a single post not be a caricature? You know, that someone who defensibly will google until they believe they have an edge? Canadians are not awful they are just weak defense partners. For you to pop your chest out claiming Canadian fidelity because three guys kicked ass using American made rifles does, in the context of this thread, sort of label you as a .........

Edited by JoeWeber

(edited)
8 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Can you for a single post not be a caricature? You know, that someone who defensibly will google until they believe they have an edge? Canadians are not awful they are just weak defense partners. For you to pop your chest out claiming Canadian fidelity because three guys kicked ass using American made rifles does, in the context of this thread, sort of label you as a .........

Meh, when I am wrong I like to learn. Harder to do when you have already decided you are smarter than the other person I guess.

We are indeed a weak defence partner on spending and total capability. We have some strengths. I would be all in favour for Canada spending much more, much much more. I also don't think we should see the US as a defence partner and more as a threat. Your democracy is seriously in decline.

As a side note there is a Ukrainian made rifle in the top 6.

Edited by SkyDekker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

Meh, when I am wrong I like to learn. Harder to do when you have already decided you are smarter than the other person I guess.

We are indeed a weak defence partner on spending and total capability. We have some strengths. I would be all in favour for Canada spending much more, much much more.

As a side note there is a Ukrainian made rifle in the top 6.

We are brother nations. Our fates are inextricably entwined and that's a good thing. The world we live in now is not the previous world. (being selfish, and a touch maudlin, I am adding a picture of my fathers B-24 on a bombing run. (He was a tail gunner, highly medaled including a purple heart and PUC). The US can afford to bear the burden for now but that will change if our brother nations don't step up. We have public opinion, too.

757th.png

(edited)
30 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

We are brother nations. Our fates are inextricably entwined and that's a good thing. The world we live in now is not the previous world. (being selfish, and a touch maudlin, I am adding a picture of my fathers B-24 on a bombing run. (He was a tail gunner, highly medaled including a purple heart and PUC). The US can afford to bear the burden for now but that will change if our brother nations don't step up. We have public opinion, too.

757th.png

Great picture! Let me add my grandfathers:

No photo description available.

My Grandfather was a captain on the B25 Mitchell during WWII. After getting his license at Jackson, MS where the Royal Military Flying School was located at the time, he was part of a group who ferried B-25s to Batchelor, Australia from which he flew missions with the 18sq. NEI aka The Forgotten Squadron.

He had to crash land one of his planes, The Mississippi Dream. That plane has fairly recently been recovered by Reevers Warbirds in Australia and they are using parts to try and make another B-25 airworthy again. I am very happy I have been able to get various parts of that plane from them for myself and for my children.

You can read about the recovery efforts here:

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/reevers-rescues-a-combat-veteran-b-25d-downunder.html

One of the pictures on that link shows the radio call placard, which Reevers kindly donated to my father.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I joined Joe in his nostalgia, though not as alcohol induced.

Edited by SkyDekker

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

And yet in the list of top 6 longest confirmed sniper kills are 3 Canadians and no Americans.

Truth. https://globalnews.ca/news/3552281/snipers-canadian-military/

Maybe you can send some of your military up for some training

We do. Just as Canada sends theirs down to Benning for training also. Our two countries probably train together more than most. Most American Airborne cherish their Canadian Jump wings and vice versa. When Canada comes down to Bragg to train - there's gonna be some inter-rivalry shenanigans. 

Digging the history lesson of both your ancestors. Wonder if Kallend fought along side of them. Course, he mighta been busy on the Manhattan Project. :)

• Like 1

Well the house just passed a $858 billion defense bill. $45 billion more than Biden requested. An 8% increase.

In other news The annual military budget could hit $1 trillion by 2027 "CBO budget-scoring rules don’t typically account for the political reality behind defense budgets of the past few years — namely, bipartisan support for plussing up the defense budget by tens of billions of dollars per year."

Thanks Joe.

5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Well the house just passed a $858 billion defense bill. $45 billion more than Biden requested. An 8% increase.

In other news The annual military budget could hit $1 trillion by 2027 "CBO budget-scoring rules don’t typically account for the political reality behind defense budgets of the past few years — namely, bipartisan support for plussing up the defense budget by tens of billions of dollars per year."

Thanks Joe.

Yeah-yeah, some folks inherit star-spangled eyes
Hoo, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?"
Hoo, they only answer, "More, more, more, more"

• Like 2

Great picture! Let me add my grandfathers:

No photo description available.

My Grandfather was a captain on the B25 Mitchell during WWII. After getting his license at Jackson, MS where the Royal Military Flying School was located at the time, he was part of a group who ferried B-25s to Batchelor, Australia from which he flew missions with the 18sq. NEI aka The Forgotten Squadron.

He had to crash land one of his planes, The Mississippi Dream. That plane has fairly recently been recovered by Reevers Warbirds in Australia and they are using parts to try and make another B-25 airworthy again. I am very happy I have been able to get various parts of that plane from them for myself and for my children.

You can read about the recovery efforts here:

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/reevers-rescues-a-combat-veteran-b-25d-downunder.html

One of the pictures on that link shows the radio call placard, which Reevers kindly donated to my father.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I joined Joe in his nostalgia, though not as alcohol induced.

Absolutely cool story. As a guy who’s worked with metal most of his life and also been to A&P school I definitely appreciate the 50 cal belly gun mod on that bird. The restoration plan looks challenging but well thought out. Looks like they’ll get the cockpit section set up as a static display until more restoration is completed.

Canadian military expertise has never been in doubt in my mind after learning about the avro arrow program. Sorry we screwed you guys over on that one. 

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Can you for a single post not be a caricature?

You mean like a guy so outraged at the idea that US defence spending is mostly useless to Ukraine that he spits out a whole hissy tantrum before explaining that the US can’t send more weapons to Ukraine because they’re useless?

Ok Team America.

3 hours ago, jakee said:

You mean like a guy so outraged at the idea that US defence spending is mostly useless to Ukraine that he spits out a whole hissy tantrum before explaining that the US can’t send more weapons to Ukraine because they’re useless?

Ok Team America.

No, I mean a caricature like a hypothetical humorless brit whose petty agenda overwhelms his intelligence. I have no doubt that we'd send a wing of F-16's to Ukraine if they could fly and maintain them. Same with M1A1 tanks which run on Jet fuel not the diesel their supply chain can provide. Same with Bradley Fighting Vehicles etc. etc. 

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The turbine engine in the Abrams tank is 'multi-fuel'. 

It will run on anything that burns.

So will the PT6 you sit behind when jumping but service life is seriously degraded and maintenance costs, including time down, increases a lot.

• Like 1

All the old Soviet tanks in western countries are being sent to Ukraine. Many are being upgraded with reactive armor and new thermal sights. Poland aims to eventually have 1,000 K2 tanks and 672 K9 howitzers, including “polonised” versions produced in Poland, reports Business Insider Polska. In total, Poland’s arms purchases from South Korea this year have reached $12.3 billion.

If the US and NATO were smart they would find a western buyer for U.S. Navy officials explained that “USS Nimitz (CVN 68) is planned to be removed from the battle force in fiscal year (FY) 2025, when the ship's Terminal Off-load Program begins, with inactivation scheduled to begin in 2027.” Japan would be the ideal candidate, or possibly Australia. Australia is in the process of developing a nuclear submarine fleet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I have no doubt that we'd send a wing of F-16's to Ukraine if they could fly and maintain them. Same with M1A1 tanks which run on Jet fuel not the diesel their supply chain can provide. Same with Bradley Fighting Vehicles etc. etc. 

Lol what? Sorry dude, but this just shows how little you have been paying attention for the past year. You are fundamentally clueless about the policy governing what we supply to Ukraine if you think this is the case. The US (just like everyone else) has refused to directly facilitate supply of old Mig 29s they can fly, let alone modern(ish) western warplanes. Even longer range missile systems than Himars are being held back over fears about supplying ‘offensive’ weaponry.

On 12/5/2022 at 9:18 PM, JoeWeber said:

Bullshit. M777 artillery firing regular and Excaliber guided rounds changed things on the ground. HIMARS changed things on the ground. Javelin Anti Armour systems changed things on the ground. The intel we give them changed things on the ground. Really, you could hardly have been more silly than to ask how many Aircraft Carrier Battle Groups we've given them when we cannot even give them M1A1 Tanks, Bradley fighting vehicles or a single F-16 because of fuel type and maintenance issues that would render them useless. Yes, we waste untold billions on our Military but that doesn't mean that our R&D spending isn't helping.

Now tell me what was supposed to be humorous about this post?

How petty and points obsessed do you have to be to write this post out of pure personal spite, despite the fact that you fundamentally agree with the statement you were addressing?

Never mind that your entire line of argument here is purely about point scoring. You’re pissed that the US spends so much more than anyone else. You know that the Us spends that much purely because your government wants to, with no regard for anyone else. But your solution is to bitch and moan about everyone else because you’re jealous of them rather than ask your own country to get its shit together.

(edited)
2 hours ago, jakee said:

Lol what? Sorry dude, but this just shows how little you have been paying attention for the past year. You are fundamentally clueless about the policy governing what we supply to Ukraine if you think this is the case. The US (just like everyone else) has refused to directly facilitate supply of old Mig 29s they can fly, let alone modern(ish) western warplanes. Even longer range missile systems than Himars are being held back over fears about supplying ‘offensive’ weaponry.

Ukraine was supplied with 20 Mig-29s with US assistance. The deal included US used F-16 aircraft U.S. Approves Sale Of Fighter Jets To Bulgaria Amid Speculation About Supply Of MiGs To Ukraine Other agreements with other governments to receive newer US aircraft in exchange for Mig parts and airframes. Have not been made public. But recent deals for newer US aircraft and arms. Together with the sudden transfers of "spare parts" to third parties, suggest this.

Edited by Phil1111