4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

On 4/9/2022 at 1:59 PM, riggerrob said:

Spread rumors about Ukrainian women having a wide variety of doubly nasty sexually transmitted diseases.

Any Russian soldier suspected of rape will have difficulty getting laid after he returns home!

Cue evil laughter!

You think an 18 year old dude will be stopped by fear of getting the clap? Maybe in Canada.

(edited)
On 3/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, Phil1111 said:

I'm surprised that anyone could say that as the response seems to be. Buy more weapons and increase defense spending.

I've been offline for a while, but I still would like to answer (sarcasm or no) :-)

There is a lot of chest beating (echoed in this thread) about all the aid going to Ukraine, monetary and otherwise. Last week it became apparant that though the EU donated approximately a billion of aid (monetary and otherwise), they also bought for 35 billion of energy from Russia. Mind you, that is since the war started.

Also, buying more weapons (for Ukraine) is pretty useless without Ukranian fingers to pull the trigger. Putin can win by sheer numbers.

Edited by Baksteen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Baksteen said:

...Also, buying more weapons (for Ukraine) is pretty useless without Ukranian fingers to pull the trigger. Putin can win by sheer numbers.

Well not really. Ukraine's population is 44 million. The current decree/order is for all males between 18 and 60 to report for service/enlistment. Draft dodgers excepted.

So I'd guess the armed forces/reserves could be 18 million perhaps. All they need is 18 million AK-47s. Probably the amount that Texas has now. But i digress. Body armor, grenades, mortars, RPGs and Russia would have NO CHANCE of success

Let alone if Ukrainian women started to join the fight. The deciding factors are Ukrainian morale. The bite of sanctions on Russia which will really need a year to take serious effect. Given that Ukraine has been fighting for four years now. I'd say that Putin may pull away from the table due to indigestion. Recognizing that the meal he ordered was bigger than his eyes.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Well not really. Ukraine's population is 44 million. The current decree/order is for all males between 18 and 60 to report for service/enlistment. Draft dodgers excepted.

So I'd guess the armed forces/reserves could be 18 million perhaps. All they need is 18 million AK-47s. Probably the amount that Texas has now. But i digress. Body armor, grenades, mortars, RPGs and Russia would have NO CHANCE of success

Let alone if Ukrainian women started to join the fight. The deciding factors are Ukrainian morale. The bite of sanctions on Russia which will really need a year to take serious effect. Given that Ukraine has been fighting for four years now. I'd say that Putin may pull away from the table due to indigestion. Recognizing that the meal he ordered was bigger than his eyes.

Might be. These guy's are said to be three lieutenants who were commanding a BMP. None are from combat arms and one is a meteorologist, so we are told. Apparently none of the conscripts in the back survived, either.  The argument, if true, is that the Russians are running out of contract soldiers qualified to operate even a BMP so they're feeding in whatever they have. That might have worked at Stalingrad but in Ukraine where they seem unable to field more than one or two BTG's at a time, can not defend supply lines, and conscripts, apparently, are able to decline deployment to Ukraine they might be in a bit of a borscht pickle. On top of that, yesterday came the spring rains. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 11.36.35 AM.png

Edited by JoeWeber

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Might be. These guy's are said to be three lieutenants who were commanding a BMP. None are from combat arms and one is a meteorologist, so we are told. Apparently none of the conscripts in the back survived, either.  The argument, if true, is that the Russians are running out of contract soldiers qualified to operate even a BMP so they're feeding in whatever they have. That might have worked at Stalingrad but in Ukraine where they seem unable to field more than one or two BTG's at a time, can not defend supply lines, and conscripts, apparently, are able to decline deployment to Ukraine they might be in a bit of a borscht pickle. On top of that, yesterday came the spring rains. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 11.36.35 AM.png

Hi Joe,

For thus of us who did not know:

BMP-1 - Wikipedia

Battalion tactical group - Wikipedia

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

For thus of us who did not know:

BMP-1 - Wikipedia

Battalion tactical group - Wikipedia

Jerry Baumchen

I should have said so. Apparently, Russian Regiments are supposed to have 3-4 BTG's but really don't owing to corruption etc. 

This is an interesting analysis of Russian strategy thus far: https://www.benning.army.mil/armor/earmor/content/issues/2017/spring/2Fiore17.pdf

Here's a neat place to follow Russian Battle formations: https://uawardata.com/

and https://github.com/simonhuwiler/uawardata

Unverified reports are that the Russian Guided Missile Cruiser Moskva (the one that was told, Russia, Go Fuck Yourself) has been hit by two Ukrainian Anti-ship missiles, is on fire, and is possibly sinking. 500 sailors aboard. Even if it's B.S. it was fun to type.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Unverified reports are that the Russian Guided Missile Cruiser Moskva (the one that was told, Russia, Go Fuck Yourself) has been hit by two Ukrainian Anti-ship missiles, is on fire, and is possibly sinking. 500 sailors aboard. Even if it's B.S. it was fun to type.

I was just checking out the same story. The Russian MOD has also reported a fire onboard which set off some ammunition(accident). This is the flagship of the Russian Black sea fleet. A guided missile destroyer with a full complement of the most advanced Russian defense systems including three defensive radars. The UK recently agreed to send harpoon anti-ship missiles to Ukraine. Its about 160 nm from Snake Island to the Sevastopol port. Its 12,500 tons so more cruiser class.

"The flagship of Russia's Black Sea fleet, the Moskva missile cruiser, was badly damaged when ammunition on board blew up, Interfax news agency quoted the defence ministry as saying on Thursday.

Interfax said the crew had been evacuated. It blamed the blast on a fire and said the cause was being investigated.

A Ukrainian official earlier said the Moskva had been hit by two missiles but did not give any evidence."

Edited by Phil1111

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I was just checking out the same story. The Russian MOD has also reported a fire onboard which set off some ammunition(accident). This is the flagship of the Russian Black sea fleet. A guided missile destroyer with a full complement of the most advanced Russian defense systems including three defensive radars. The UK recently agreed to send harpoon anti-ship missiles to Ukraine. Its about 160 nm from Snake Island to the Sevastopol port. Its 12,500 tons so more cruiser class.

"The flagship of Russia's Black Sea fleet, the Moskva missile cruiser, was badly damaged when ammunition on board blew up, Interfax news agency quoted the defence ministry as saying on Thursday.

Interfax said the crew had been evacuated. It blamed the blast on a fire and said the cause was being investigated.

A Ukrainian official earlier said the Moskva had been hit by two missiles but did not give any evidence."

Well, that's a Russian bummer. Now the Russians are conceding a problem with their Black Sea Flag Ship. Next they'll be explaining it was a scheduled dive team training exercise. Good on the Ukrainians.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Well, that's a Russian bummer. Now the Russians are conceding a problem with their Black Sea Flag Ship. Next they'll be explaining it was a scheduled dive team training exercise. Good on the Ukrainians.

Ukraine update: Stunning news as Ukraine reportedly sinks Russia's Black Sea Fleet flagship

Doesn't Putin have a summer home near there? Now he'll have some wreck diving to keep him occupied.

spacer.png

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Ukraine update: Stunning news as Ukraine reportedly sinks Russia's Black Sea Fleet flagship

Doesn't Putin have a summer home near there? Now he'll have some wreck diving to keep him occupied.

I don't doubt this was an amazing coup by the Ukrainians. Now, they'll be able to have beers with our special forces who on a lucky day might have been able to offer advice.

8 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't doubt this was an amazing coup by the Ukrainians. Now, they'll be able to have beers with our special forces who on a lucky day might have been able to offer advice.

It's way better than that. Ukraine postal service issues 'Russian warship, f***k you!' stamp

I have from well informed Ukrainian sources that President Zelensky has now ordered a new F**K Putin stamp into immediate production.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Moskva cruiser sank while being towed in a storm - Russian Defense Ministry

From Tass Moskva cruiser sank while being towed in a storm - Russian Defense Ministry.

Excellent. A new artificial reef for marine life. 

• Like 1

(edited)
21 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Excellent. A new artificial reef for marine life. 

Unfortunately the black sea has poor oxygen levels and as a consequence less marine life. The depths where it sank are in the 500m range. It will likely have little marine life but will be well preserved for millenia to come. there have been some WW 2 aircraft retrieved from the Black sea which have been very well preserved.

Black Sea Wrecks for the divers here.

Edited by Phil1111

53 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

In the 'sort of silly, rather pointless, but still pretty cool' department...

Someone is projecting an image of the Ukrainian flag on the Russian Embassy in DC.

The Russians try to wash it out with a spot light, but the projecters keep moving it.

Not pointless, it's wonderful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxasBNMMoc