4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

12 hours ago, billeisele said:

Richard Childress and AMMO Inc have sent 1 million AK-47 rounds, it's in route. Suspect hat more will be sent. They have individuals and corporations offering to donate.

1 million rounds?  That means RC and company will have to cut “range day” short next weekend xD

54 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

1 million rounds?  That means RC and company will have to cut “range day” short next weekend xD

Its a good story "With many motorsport authorities like the FIA implementing sanctions on Russia and ally Belarus for their invasion of Ukraine, NASCAR Hall of Fame team owner Richard Childress will aid Ukraine through more direct means. On Tuesday, AMMO, Inc. announced it will donate one million rounds of ammunition to the Armed Forces of Ukraine. The company has also “formally offer[ed] to manufacture ammunition to donate to the Ukraine Armed Forces as they fight for their country’s continued independence.”

In a Wednesday interview with Fox & Friends, Childress explained AMMO, Inc. will be focusing on 7.62 mm caliber ammunition as it is Ukraine’s primary need. While the company is working with government agencies, the transport will be primarily through a private firm."

1 hour ago, kallend said:

..It was cloth covered biplanes that crippled the Italian fleet at Taranto.  The cloth covered biplane Fairey Swordfish sank a greater tonnage of Axis shipping than any other Allied aircraft during  WW2...

I'd have to take exception with that professor. IMO the Dauntless dive bomber,or the Avenger torpedo A/C. Took out more Japanese shipping. Two Yamato class battleships at 70,000 tons each, 1/2 dozen Japanese a/c carriers. Many cruisers, etc.

47 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I'd have to take exception with that professor. IMO the Dauntless dive bomber,or the Avenger torpedo A/C. Took out more Japanese shipping. Two Yamato class battleships at 70,000 tons each, 1/2 dozen Japanese a/c carriers. Many cruisers, etc.

Given the performance of GB in the Pacific theater his omission is understandable.

(edited)
38 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Given the performance of GB in the Pacific theater his omission is understandable.

Kinda cheap shot isn't it? I'd raise you one Churchill, GB was the first country to tackle Hitler after the Czechoslovak invasion.. First western country to engage in hostilities. GB beat France in declaration by over five hours.

The US, ...mmmm....we are "America First". "Hitler he's not so bad"

Edited by Phil1111

(edited)

Some good news from Ukraine, finally.

DPR leader says one of military commanders killed in Volnovakha Warning the link below is from TASS the official Russian news agency.

The DPR leader said he had signed a decree to posthumously award Zhoga the title of the hero of DPR

Link to Daily Mail in UK: Russian separatist warlord who led Neo-Nazi 'Sparta' mob is shot dead during battle in eastern Ukraine town in fresh blow to Putin's floundering invasion

"Zhoga became the group's leader in 2016 after his predecessor Arsen Pavlov died following an IED explosion in the lift of his apartment.

Pavlov was accused of several war crimes, and in 2015 the Kyiv Post shared audio of him, in a phone call with the news outlet, saying he shot '15 prisoners dead'. 

'I don't give a f**** about what I am accused of, believe it or not,' he added.

'I shot 15 prisoners dead. I don't give a f****. No comment. I kill if I want to. I don't if I don't.'"

Edited by Phil1111

3 hours ago, kallend said:

And if the Merlin engine in Spitfires and Hurricanes were so poor . . .

Uh - where did I say that?  In fact I said the opposite.  Things like the Merlin engine - AND THE ABILITY TO PRODUCE THEM QUICKLY (key point) - was one of the things that turned the course of the war.  

If a tactician looked at the relative state of the two air forces in 1939, the only objective conclusion would be that the Germans would quickly wipe out the Allied air defenses.  In 1939 and 1940, German bombers regularly pounded London and other British population centers, and the RAF had a great deal of trouble fighting them off in their own airspace - even during the day.  At night the Germans were effectively unopposed.  The bravery of the RAF slowed the Germans just enough to be able to keep them from wiping out their industrial sites, while the Brits (supported by the US) started churning out aircraft, pilots and ancillary equipment.  As aircraft and weapons were both built and ferried over, British and US aircrews started pounding Germany's industrial base so Germany could not do the same.  That 'secondary' war - the logistics war - is the primary reason the Allies won World War II.

Logistics is often overlooked by armchair strategists.  They often prefer to consider available materiel and forces, relative skill of the troops and will to succeed both by the invading forces and the resistance.  But even back in Napoleon's time, good strategists understood the importance of logistics - Napoleon himself was reputed to have coined the term "an army marches on its stomach."  Today you need much more than food and swords to equip miilitary forces, and the side that can do that most effectively has a huge advantage.  That was true during World War II, and it is true in Ukraine as well.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Uh - where did I say that?  In fact I said the opposite.  Things like the Merlin engine - AND THE ABILITY TO PRODUCE THEM QUICKLY (key point) - was one of the things that turned the course of the war.  

If a tactician looked at the relative state of the two air forces in 1939, the only objective conclusion would be that the Germans would quickly wipe out the Allied air defenses.  In 1939 and 1940, German bombers regularly pounded London and other British population centers, and the RAF had a great deal of trouble fighting them off in their own airspace - even during the day.  At night the Germans were effectively unopposed.  The bravery of the RAF slowed the Germans just enough to be able to keep them from wiping out their industrial sites, while the Brits (supported by the US) started churning out aircraft, pilots and ancillary equipment.  As aircraft and weapons were both built and ferried over, British and US aircrews started pounding Germany's industrial base so Germany could not do the same.  That 'secondary' war - the logistics war - is the primary reason the Allies won World War II.

Logistics is often overlooked by armchair strategists.  They often prefer to consider available materiel and forces, relative skill of the troops and will to succeed both by the invading forces and the resistance.  But even back in Napoleon's time, good strategists understood the importance of logistics - Napoleon himself was reputed to have coined the term "an army marches on its stomach."  Today you need much more than food and swords to equip miilitary forces, and the side that can do that most effectively has a huge advantage.  That was true during World War II, and it is true in Ukraine as well.

The vaunted Field Marshal Erwin Rommel had a Major in charge of logistics for a Corps, IIRC.

A Major may say "I really need you to get these supplies through immediately."

"We'll see what we can do."

A Generaloberst is more likely to take the stance "If these supplies are not delivered by tomorrow, you will be shot.  Do you understand?"

"Jawohl Herr General!"

In the same sense that an industrial operation may be evaluated by inspection of its utilities, a military operation may be gauged by its logistic capabilities.

It was said by Wehrmacht Panzer forces that "One of our tanks is the equal of 10 Shermans.  Unfortunately, they brought 11."  All too often quantity trumps quality.

BSBD,

Winsor

On 3/6/2022 at 4:56 AM, JoeWeber said:

He's so naive! 

"The U.S. government is looking for ways to replenish Poland’s arsenal should the country agree to provide some of its Soviet-era combat jets to Ukraine, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said." 

Who could have thought of that?

Because it won't be a no-fly zone. It will be a good second choice though.

You know how it isn't a no-fly zone? Cause even Zelenskyy said it and he is on the ground in Ukraine trying to fight for his country and its population. He said, if you cannot institute a no-fly zone, then at least get me planes.

https://www.axios.com/zelensky-ukraine-no-fly-zone-planes-7eb2e6f8-d488-4444-bc70-889141b34dcf.html

On 3/6/2022 at 7:48 AM, jakee said:

Right, but what’s the timescale on that? You think their refineries will be inoperable by June?

You think they are going to pay their troops and suppliers in US dollars, cause the Ruble is worthless and they are unable to prop it up due to sanctions on their national bank.

13 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Russian conscripts:

spacer.png

Conscripts receive a stipend of 2,000 rubles (US$17.77) compared to the basic 62,000 (US$551) salary of regular or contract soldiers

So much money for the glory of fighting for Putin. Is it any wonder that they punch holes in the fuel tanks of their vehicles to escape the war!

Which believe it or not for quite some time was more than Ukraine paid its soldiers. MY assistant is Ukrainian and her parents and one brother live in Crimea, with the rest of her family around Ukraine. When Russia annexed Crimea her brother (who was in the Ukrainian forces) was given the option to move to Ukraine or join the Russian army in Crimea. They paid better, so he stayed in Crimea.

Her family now has family members fighting on both sides of the conflict, while the entire family is solidly anti-Putin.

All that to say that never mind the low pay, I think a large part of the Russian forces are simply not motivated or willing to die, specially not in Ukraine.

6 hours ago, olofscience said:

With Russia closing down western news, independent news, Facebook and Twitter, they won't see any signs of losing for a while. (militarily, at least)

And now Russian police stopping people on the streets and demanding to see the content on their phone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-police-are-demanding-to-read-peoples-text-messages-reporter-2022-3

19 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You know how it isn't a no-fly zone? Cause even Zelenskyy said it and he is on the ground in Ukraine trying to fight for his country and its population. He said, if you cannot institute a no-fly zone, then at least get me planes.

https://www.axios.com/zelensky-ukraine-no-fly-zone-planes-7eb2e6f8-d488-4444-bc70-889141b34dcf.html

And unfortunately, a complication in the US backfilling the Polish AF with F-16's is that Taiwan has a pre-existing order for new F-16's, and was already trying to find a way to accelerate the delivery.

US seeks to speed up delivery of new F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

And unfortunately, a complication in the US backfilling the Polish AF with F-16's is that Taiwan has a pre-existing order for new F-16's, and was already trying to find a way to accelerate the delivery.

US seeks to speed up delivery of new F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan

And Ukraine likely needs planes in the next 24 to 48 hours to really make a difference.

37 minutes ago, winsor said:

It was said by Wehrmacht Panzer forces that "One of our tanks is the equal of 10 Shermans.  Unfortunately, they brought 11."  All too often quantity trumps quality.

BSBD,

Winsor

“Quantity has a quality all its own.”

Joseph Stalin

39 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Because??? Because what? Of course it won't be a "no-fly zone". It also won't be a pickle barrel, a '59 Edsel or a pepperoni pizza. 

58 minutes ago, billvon said:

Hi Bill,

Re:  Logistics is often overlooked by armchair strategists.

So true.  Eisenhower was a master of logistics; not so much a strategic war planner.

Some of Hitler's generals, who had visited the US in the 30's, told Hitler to not declare war on the US because of our massive production capability.  Hitler did not believe them, he could not conceive of what they told him.

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Because??? Because what? Of course it won't be a "no-fly zone". It also won't be a pickle barrel, a '59 Edsel or a pepperoni pizza. 

Interesting way of conceding that it would indeed be naïve to believe you could institute a no-fly zone without escalating the war.

4 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Re:  Logistics is often overlooked by armchair strategists.

So true.  Eisenhower was a master of logistics; not so much a strategic war planner.

Some of Hitler's generals, who had visited the US in the 30's, told Hitler to not declare war on the US because of our massive production capability.  Hitler did not believe them, he could not conceive of what they told him.

C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

I once read an article by a historian who was arguing that instead of taking on the German army head-to-head, the Allies could have dramatically shortened the war by focusing on just one thing: Depriving Germany of petroleum.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Even if it was possible to enforce a no fly zone it would hardly matter. Russia is not bombarding from aircraft. This is a ground war with missiles and artillery.

Traditionally a no-fly zone includes keeping missiles from the sky...artillery obviously a different subject.

11 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I once read an article by a historian who was arguing that instead of taking on the German army head-to-head, the Allies could have dramatically shortened the war by focusing on just one thing: Depriving Germany of petroleum.

That was quite a part of the Allied effort though.