4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

Otherwise known as the Three Stooges.

Jerry Baumchen

Or a mix of Tokyo Rose, Donald trump and Neville Chamberlain. Its astonishing that their is a TV network willing to air Tucker Carlson. But Murdoch is as close a Putin ally as is trump.

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Too late, Putin has already threatened nuclear devastation to any country intervening. There is no doubt in my mind this isn't "just" a Russia-Ukraine conflict, but the first part of a much larger conflict.

Winds are light and variable to southerly the next few days at Kiev, then back to Nor'Westerly, then back to Sou'Easterly next Thursday for a bit. Might be a good day for the Ukrainians to blow the Chernobyl sarcophagus if they're running out of options.

48 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Winds are light and variable to southerly the next few days at Kiev, then back to Nor'Westerly, then back to Sou'Easterly next Thursday for a bit. Might be a good day for the Ukrainians to blow the Chernobyl sarcophagus if they're running out of options.

CNN: Russian forces seize control of Chernobyl nuclear plant, Ukrainian official says

We will now have a chance to see how Biden deals with a real problem.  So far he has had to deal with imaginary issues, climate change, widespread police brutality, income inequality, systematic racism, white supremacy…. Now we get to see if he has the competence to run with the big dogs.  Godspeed Brandon.

20 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Much ado but do nothing.  We'll sabre rattle a bit but with China in Russia's corner there's not much we can do.  Sanctions didn't work in 2013 either.

Putin controls enough nukes to make challenging him a wild gamble. He is gnashing his teeth and growling like a mad dog. Maybe it's too keep the west off balance or maybe he is off balanced. Hard to know. The only people who can do anything about it and make Russia pay the price are the Ukrainians themselves. Time will tell, but in a modern surveillance society run by former KGB/GRU security operatives it will be very hard to run a guerilla war. But you are wrong about how serious this is. Putin's goal is much larger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

We will now have a chance to see how Biden deals with a real problem.  So far he has had to deal with imaginary issues, climate change, widespread police brutality, income inequality, systematic racism, white supremacy…. Now we get to see if he has the competence to run with the big dogs.  Godspeed Brandon.

How would you play this hand? You're superb at bloviating, denigrating, and Monday morning Quarterbacking but be brave and tell us just what you would do. 

Edited by JoeWeber
Forgot to include denigrating
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

How would you play this hand? You're superb at bloviating, denigrating, and Monday morning Quarterbacking but be brave and tell us just what you would do. 

The cards have been dealt at this stage but if I had to go back to the beginning of his administration, I would have not sabotaged our fossil fuel industry and listened to the commanders on the ground in Afghanistan.  Tight oil and gas supply has strengthened Putin’s hand and the debacle in Afghanistan was Biden’s Bay Of Pigs. Which showed weakness and incompetence.  (Along with just about everything this administration has done).  Make your enemies strong + demonstrate your own weaknesses and incompetence = trouble 

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The cards have been dealt at this stage but if I had to go back to the beginning of his administration, I would have not sabotaged our fossil fuel industry and listened to the commanders on the ground in Afghanistan.  Tight oil and gas supply has strengthened Putin’s hand and the debacle in Afghanistan was Biden’s Bay Of Pigs. Which showed weakness and incompetence.  (Along with just about everything this administration has done).  Make your enemies strong + demonstrate your own weaknesses and incompetence = trouble 

More Monday Morning QB'ing. He didn't ask for a review of the situation. He asked what you would do. 

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

More Monday Morning QB'ing. He didn't ask for a review of the situation. He asked what you would do. 

That is a bit like asking me what would I do if I jumped out of a plane without a parachute, but let me give it a go.

Fully exploit our domestic fossil fuel resources, return us to a net exporter of oil and gas, tap the strategic reserve to ease the transition.   Target Russia’s oil and gas sectors, cutting them off from western markets (Europe can just put up a few more windmills and solar panels).  Perhaps give Iran a temporary time-out from its sanctions to fill the gap.

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

tell us just what you would do. 

President Zelenskyy, I just got off the phone with Chancellor Scholz and we have full logistic and operational mass person support for the use of Ramstein Air Base. With that, I have just mobilized the:

82nd Airborne Division.

10th Mountain Division.

1st Cavalry Division.

2rd Marine Division

1st Fighter Wing. 

2nd Bomb Wing. 

The 3rd Ranger Battalion, 10th & 19th Special Forces Group.

We will be there in 72 hours and ask for your representative to meet with us and the other 29 NATO members. If Russia has not withdrawn by that time, we will begin forward operations 72 hours after our arrival to Ramstein. President Putin: we have no desire to go to war with Russia, but if you do not leave the Ukraine in the next 72 hours; we will.     

13 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

President Zelenskyy, I just got off the phone with Chancellor Scholz and we have full logistic and operational mass person support for the use of Ramstein Air Base. With that, I have just mobilized the:

82nd Airborne Division.

10th Mountain Division.

1st Cavalry Division.

2rd Marine Division

1st Fighter Wing. 

2nd Bomb Wing. 

We will be there in 72 hours and ask for your representative to meet with us and the other 29 NATO members. If Russia has not withdrawn by that time, we will begin forward operations 72 hours after our arrival to Ramstein. President Putin: we have no desire to go to war with Russia, but if you do not leave the Ukraine in the next 72 hours; we will.     

That would feel good. Until the reality set in. Where would you land your troops? You are the first person I have seen make this call. I assume you are kidding.

And unfortunately for just about everyone in the world, Putin seems to be kind of a “hold my beer and watch this” guy when it comes to showdowns. And every country has a large contingent of people who see a display of aggression as being positive strength. Just look at how many Americans were fine with our going into Iraq and toppling their regime.

I have no idea what I’d do; I have a very poor sense of brinksmanship. But it would start with “we as a country are supporting Ukraine” and “here’s how you, personally, can help — and why it helps.” There’s also a contingent of people who want to know what they can do. If we can export power to Europe, and quantify how much by how much we’ve saved, that’s a start. And a promise to help Ukraine rebuild agriculture on their own terms.

I actually like the “starve the Russian pipeline”’idea; it’s not a long-term plan, though. And right now we should be working to identify the next likely target, and massing NATO troops there. Regardless of whether they’re a member.

Wendy P. 

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

And unfortunately for just about everyone in the world, Putin seems to be kind of a “hold my beer and watch this” guy when it comes to showdowns.

He is the only leader willing to risk a third world war over Ukraine. Thankfully. There is a reason why Ukraine was never really seriously considered for NATO membership. And the possibility of this event is that reason.

20 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

82nd Airborne Division.

10th Mountain Division.

1st Cavalry Division.

2rd Marine Division

1st Fighter Wing. 

2nd Bomb Wing. 

I'm surprised at this idea. It sounds a bit reactionary from you.

Whatever Putin is he is a master of brinkmanship. Of the carrot and the stick diplomacy. He specifically and deliberately "tested" his nuclear forces in Belarus barely a week ago for a reason. NATO is an alliance and in that alliance is Germany and France. The EU is dependent upon Russian gas for about 50% of its needs.

IMO The western alliance should immediately begin construction of three natural gas (LNG) terminals to supply the EU and other western allies. With the energy independence from Russia within a year.

Institute laws to seize the monies from oligarchs and other Russians that have plundered Russia. Then moved those ill gotten gains to the west. Use those monies to fund reparations for Ukraine.

Russia announced today that its ready to "hold talks" about a peace. Thats typical Russian/Putin conduct to wiggle a carrot to distract and divide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

IMO The western alliance should immediately begin construction of three natural gas (LNG) terminals to supply the EU and other western allies. With the energy independence from Russia within a year.

Yes. The only effective response that the west can mount at this time is a long term disciplined approach to containing Russia. But the west is not disciplined at all and rarely considers the longer term. 

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

He is the only leader willing to risk a third world war over Ukraine. Thankfully. There is a reason why Ukraine was never really seriously considered for NATO membership. And the possibility of this event is that reason.

No he is not. He is willing to threaten major war. But he knows NATO, the west and how to play democracies. He got away with invading smaller countries before. With invading Ukraine and playing the game of division.

What about Turkey? It was allowed NATO membership and then blackmailed the EU re. Syrian refugees."While its NATO allies impose sanctions on Russia, analysts say Turkey is not expected to follow suit, similar to the situation in 2014 when it did not sanction Moscow over its annexation of Crimea even though it condemned the seizure of the peninsula, which is internationally recognised as Ukrainian soil."

All NATO members have to approve new members and Germany has always been the objector. All well it increased its dependence on Russian gas. While the UK has freely allowed rich Russians to pour money into UK assets. Feigning ignorance as to where that money came from.i.e. Russian/Putin corruption.

Putin is a master of brinkmanship diplomacy. He has never in his life received real push-back. Perhaps thats changed.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Yes. The only effective response that the west can mount at this time is a long term disciplined approach to containing Russia. But the west is not disciplined at all and rarely considers the longer term. 

Well yes and no. After a bit consumers start to complain because it costs a bit more for a liter of gas. Then politicians start to waiver and say "its a Ukrainian problem". Issues like this require leadership and the only country that has the political power. Not specifically military power. Is the US.

With leadership not a drop of "western" blood need be shed. But it will cost consumers in the pocket book. For some thats more painful, more horrific.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I'm surprised at this idea. It sounds a bit reactionary from you.

I understand. In this case, I have lived it and seen it for too long. People are getting killed while we shake our finger. The only way to deal with a charging bear is with a large caliber weapon. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

82nd Airborne Division.

10th Mountain Division.

1st Cavalry Division.

2rd Marine Division

1st Fighter Wing. 

2nd Bomb Wing. 

It will be a fait accompli in 72 hours.  The winner of a battle is the one who “gets there the firstest with the mostest”.  And that, my friend, is the Russians.

I won’t even address the folly of attacking mechanized divisions with outnumbered light infantry without logistical support. 9_9

3 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Putin is a master of brinkmanship diplomacy. He has never in his life received real push-back. Perhaps thats changed.

Putin has received push-back. He pulled every string he could to get out of the last round of sanctions, but Trump could not get it done for him. He will feel the pain and he will feel real pressure from those he must please to remain in power. His mastery of the west is nothing compared to what he must do to stay alive in the Kremlin. But apparently it is worth it to him to be remembered in history as Vlad The Great.

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I understand. In this case, I have lived it and seen it for too long. People are getting killed while we shake our finger.

It will be a small fraction of the number that were killed in Iraq. Some lives matter more though.

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I won’t even address the folly of attacking mechanized divisions with outnumbered light infantry without logistical support. 

OK, Slick what's your fucking plan other than throwing "follies" around? Wait you just want to throw rocks at everyone else's shit. Go play with the other kids - the adults want to have a conversation.   

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 8