4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

11 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

That was a conscious, Canadian self-correction.

A few years back I got upset about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I also noticed that a Ukrainian-born, Vancouver-area skydiver-actor-stuntman resembled the head of Mr. Poutine's pet motorcycle gang: the Night Wolves. A bit more research revealed how authentic the Night Wolves really were.

So I started writing a tongue-in-cheek, action-adventure script about a bungling bunch of Russian "patriots" whose mistakes land them in need doo-doo and help explain how an airliner got shot down. My Ukrainian-born buddy could do all kinds of fight scenes, BASE jumps, wing-suit fly-bys, etc. to maintain the fast pace of the story. One ficticious character was bald, always well-dressed and only seen in silhouette. I called him "Mr. Poutine" in the first draft.

Upon reflection, I realized that the character looked too much like a certain Eastern European politician. Political rivals, journalists and critics who made unflattering remarks about him tended to die from mysterious poisins.

So I handed a rough draft of the script to my Ukrainian-born friend and dropped the project.

As I age, I fear death less and less, so maybe it is time to revive that satirical script.

What do you think?

I think you should continue to fear death, maybe a little more. It's working, right?

On 2/27/2022 at 7:59 AM, JoeWeber said:

56 Tanks is a lot in one action, no? Outside of Kursk or somewhere on the Eastern Front has anyone lost 56 tanks in a single action?

The Syrian Army lost 250 tanks, during 4 days of fighting when they tried to penetrate the Quneitra Gap in the Golan Heights, during the Kom Kippur War of 1973. Most of those Syrian tanks were killed by Israeli Centurion tanks. Israeli tankers also suffered heavy losses, but prevented Syria from regaining ground lost during 1967's Six Day War. Israel needed to deny Syria access to the Golan Heights because Syrian artillery had an annoying habit of shelling Israeli civilians living in the North End of the Jordan River Valley.

Edited by riggerrob
spelling

1 minute ago, riggerrob said:

The Syrian Army lost 250 tanks, during 4 days of fighting when they tried to penetrate the Quneitra Gap in the Golan Heights, during the Kom Kippur War of 1973. Most of those Syrian tanks were killed by Israeli Centurion tanks. Israeli tankers also suffered heavy losses, but prevented Syria from regaining ground lost during 1967's Six Day War. Israel needed to deny Syria access to the Golan Heights because Syrian artillery had an annoying habit of shelling Israeli civilians living in the North End of the Jordanian River Valley.

Thanks Rob, that's closer to what I was wondering. 250 in 4 day's is big. 56 in a few hours with no Tanks lost by the attackers, if that's true, has to be huge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Good summary of the first 96 hours by an expert in Russian military operations, strategy and capabilities.

The worst is yet to come...

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1498381975022940167?s=20&t=WmZ90BLvlVqxi9DC6CCZgA

Agreed.  I think Putin thought he could tip toe.  The next 24 hours will bring the hammer.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Thanks Rob, that's closer to what I was wondering. 250 in 4 day's is big. 56 in a few hours with no Tanks lost by the attackers, if that's true, has to be huge.

But it’s relative to the overall capability,

250 tanks is a shitload if that’s all you have. Russia currently has a 17 mile long line of armor 3 abreast trying to get into Kiev.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60542877

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

6 October 1973 started with 3,000 Israeli soldiers in 180 tanks and manning 60 artillery guns facing a Syrian Army attacking with 28,000 soldiers, 800 tanks and 600 artillery pieces.

Both sides received reinforcements during the battle for the Golan Heights. Israel repulsed the attack and marched towards the Syrian capital of Damascas until halted by a cease-fire. We doubted if Israel wanted the headache of occupying Damascus, but they did want to push Syrian artillery farther from the Israeli border.

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

6 October 1973 started with 3,000 Israeli soldiers in 180 tanks and manning 60 artillery guns facing a Syrian Army attacking with 28,000 soldiers, 800 tanks and 600 artillery pieces.

Both sides received reinforcements during the battle for the Golan Heights. Israel repulsed the attack and marched towards the Syrian capital of Damascas until halted by a cease-fire. We doubted if Israel wanted the headache of occupying Damascus, but they did want to push Syrian artillery farther from the Israeli border.

And Brent was there waving them forward with his squirt gun?

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Time to loan Ukraine all the A-10's available. 

All that are Nato flagged, yes, we just send replacements. 

This: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60542877

Neighboring countries need to get their attack jets into Ukrainian pilot hands to hammer this now. If there isn't time then send their own pilots. Most are flying Mig-29's etc so it isn't a huge drama. 

They can do it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

All that are Nato flagged, yes, we just send replacements. 

When I worked at General Dynamics, I learned how F-16's were delivered to foreign buyers:

1. New F-16 is painted in markings of final the destination country.

2. Then USAF markings are applied over the original markings, using a different type paint. Now USAF ferry pilots can legally fly them.

3. After F-16 is delivered, the USAF markings are wiped off using a paint thinner that removes the USAF markings, but leaves the underlying paint unharmed.

Seems like an easy way to apply the Ukraine markings, and remove them after the mission.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

When I worked at General Dynamics, I learned how F-16's were delivered to foreign buyers:

1. New F-16 is painted in markings of final the destination country.

2. Then USAF markings are applied over the original markings, using a different type paint. Now USAF ferry pilots can legally fly them.

3. After F-16 is delivered, the USAF markings are wiped off using a paint thinner that removes the USAF markings, but leaves the underlying paint unharmed.

Seems like an easy way to apply the Ukraine markings, and remove them after the mission.

That's hilarious. In 2001 I sneaked a sweet Twin Otter out of Medellin, Colombia using the same trick. It needed to be US registered for the insurance so I set it up that way. Rio Negros Airport is huge so it was a long taxi to the requested runway, not the active, and then an unusually long run up while the Columbian markings were wiped away. And here I thought I was being original.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

That's hilarious. In 2001 I sneaked a sweet Twin Otter out of Medellin, Colombia using the same trick. It needed to be US registered for the insurance so I set it up that way. Rio Negros Airport is huge so it was a long taxi to the requested runway, not the active, and then an unusually long run up while the Columbian markings were wiped away. And here I thought I was being original.

Back during the Viet Nam War (1964-1974 or there abouts) the CIA (or some other alphabet group) supplied the Loatian and Royal Thai Air Forces with T-28s, etc. to attack the Ho Chi Minh Trail. They had quick, slide-in, D panels on vertical fins that changed from day to day.

RCAF C-130 Hercules use similar slide-in "United Nations" fin panels when flying relief supplies to disasters in Africa, etc.

1 hour ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Saudi Arabia/OPEC has decided not to increase oil production to compensate for the reduction in Russian shipments.  Yet again proving they are no friend of the US or Europe.

Yeh, what they announce and what they do are two different things. They like to keep the price up.

4 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Back during the Viet Nam War (1964-1974 or there abouts) the CIA (or some other alphabet group) supplied the Loatian and Royal Thai Air Forces with T-28s, etc. to attack the Ho Chi Minh Trail. They had quick, slide-in, D panels on vertical fins that changed from day to day.

RCAF C-130 Hercules use similar slide-in "United Nations" fin panels when flying relief supplies to disasters in Africa, etc.

Convenient. But seeing as how I needed to clear customs in Miami with an airplane I just flew in from Colombia I thought maybe something a little more official looking was in order.

4 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Saudi Arabia/OPEC has decided not to increase oil production to compensate for the reduction in Russian shipments.  Yet again proving they are no friend of the US or Europe.

The Biden administration made the same decision with regard to domestic production proving the same thing.

36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The Biden administration made the same decision with regard to domestic production proving the same thing.

Stupid statement.  The Biden administration does not own or directly control oil production, unlike the Saudi royal family in Saudi Arabia.  At most, the Biden administration could put some more land up for auction.  Oil companies would have to explore, find economically useful reserves, and build infrastructure to get the oil out of the ground and transported to refineries, a process that would take years.  As it is, the Biden administration is releasing oil from the national petroleum reserve, which is much faster although them amount won't make a big difference.

The Saudis have significant unused capacity, as do other OPEC countries.  Collectively they could increase production by several million barrels a day in a short time.  They planned to increase production by a few hundred thousand barrels/day before the invasion, and they are not changing that because they don't want to offend Russia.

50 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Stupid statement.  The Biden administration does not own or directly control oil production, unlike the Saudi royal family in Saudi Arabia.  At most, the Biden administration could put some more land up for auction.  Oil companies would have to explore, find economically useful reserves, and build infrastructure to get the oil out of the ground and transported to refineries, a process that would take years.  As it is, the Biden administration is releasing oil from the national petroleum reserve, which is much faster although them amount won't make a big difference.

The Saudis have significant unused capacity, as do other OPEC countries.  Collectively they could increase production by several million barrels a day in a short time.  They planned to increase production by a few hundred thousand barrels/day before the invasion, and they are not changing that because they don't want to offend Russia.

Blocked Keystone pipeline (and others) refused to permit LNG export terminals, stopping leasing on federal lands, implementing burdensome regulations,  nominating people to his administration who have expressed a desire to bankrupt the fossil fuel industry thereby scaring off the needed investment to maintain our dominant position. Not to mention a press secretary who says the administration’s goal is to get rid of fossil fuels altogether.  
Soaring fossil fuel prices have long been a goal of the left as it would hasten the dawn of a green renewable utopia.

33 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Blocked Keystone pipeline (and others) refused to permit LNG export terminals, stopping leasing on federal lands, implementing burdensome regulations,  nominating people to his administration who have expressed a desire to bankrupt the fossil fuel industry thereby scaring off the needed investment to maintain our dominant position. Not to mention a press secretary who says the administration’s goal is to get rid of fossil fuels altogether.  
Soaring fossil fuel prices have long been a goal of the left as it would hasten the dawn of a green renewable utopia.

Don is right. It was a stupid statement. Stop defaulting to a teardown of the Biden administration. OPEC could release all of the oil needed if they were our friends and allies. They are not. We may need to pump more oil now but the sooner the western world is weaned from that pox the better life will be.

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

August 31, 2021 "The U.S. Interior Department on Tuesday said it would offer almost all available, unleased blocks in a more than 90 million acre area in the Gulf of Mexico. The sale could ultimately result in production of up to 1.1 billion barrels of crude oil and 4.4 trillion cubic feet of natural gas,...The sale is roughly the same size as offshore sales held by the Trump administration, which downplayed the threats from global warming and sought to maximize domestic fossil fuel production."

Currently Saudi has 2 mbd and the UAE 1 mbd of unused production capacity. Both don't want to anger Russia. OPEC has agreed to raise production 400k /mo as a result of the war. Canada, not a OPEC member is pumping at full capacity.

Once again Truth Social, FOX, et al, have you all messed up.

Edited by Phil1111

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

August 31, 2021 "The U.S. Interior Department on Tuesday said it would offer almost all available, unleased blocks in a more than 90 million acre area in the Gulf of Mexico. The sale could ultimately result in production of up to 1.1 billion barrels of crude oil and 4.4 trillion cubic feet of natural gas,...The sale is roughly the same size as offshore sales held by the Trump administration, which downplayed the threats from global warming and sought to maximize domestic fossil fuel production."

Currently Saudi has 2 mbd and the UAE 1 mbd of unused production capacity. Both don't want to anger Russia. OPEC has agreed to raise production 400k /mo as a result of the war. Canada, not a OPEC member is pumping at full capacity.

Once again Truth Social, FOX, et al, have you all messed up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/24/biden-administration-pausing-new-oil-and-gas-leases-amid-legal-battle-.html

cnbc not FOX

Edited by brenthutch