4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Biden is probably the most seasoned statesman in America. Maybe he's blowing it or maybe he's simply mindful of the best way to eat an elephant. Americans are always somewhat defeated out of the gates by our two year congressional time frame and our four year Presidential cycle. We hurry, hurry, hurry and then complain about how we hurry, hurry, hurry. When we get a President who take it more slowly and in a measured way even his supporters start screaming dementia. Not only do we not know what we don't know but we for damn sure don't know what he actually does know.

I think you mean prudent. Certainly if trump had been reelected the story would have been very different. In any event better late than never.

What gets seldom mentioned is the endless intelligence that only the US can provide. The latest Russian troop movements and the locations of the best targets behind the lines. Somewhere in a basement in Kiev there are US special forces with laptops. Sitting next to Ukrainian officers who are chatting up the latest opportunity to open up.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:47 AM, Phil1111 said:

The longer the war goes on, the more people realize that Russia is a paper tiger. Skilled at bombing defenseless hospitals, cities and killing civilians. Taking care of injured soldiers will cost Russia billions more.

The biggest advantage in the older F-16s for Ukraine is the automatic integration of weapons. AIM-120, JDAM-ER, jamming pods, HARM, etc. will all allow Ukraine to seamlessly defend itself.

Its too bad that President Biden was so slow on the step by step arming of Ukraine.

HIROSHIMA, Japan (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Sunday said he had received a "flat assurance" from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy that he would not use Western-provided F-16 fighter jets to go into Russian territory.

Biden told reporters in Hiroshima, Japan, at the conclusion of a meeting of world leaders that F-16 warplanes could be used "wherever Russian troops are within Ukraine and the area".

Not much room for misunderstanding now: Ukraine is getting F-16's. Now lets also free up the 24 F-18 Super Hornets Australia retired but can't sell.

17 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

HIROSHIMA, Japan (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Sunday said he had received a "flat assurance" from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy that he would not use Western-provided F-16 fighter jets to go into Russian territory.

Biden told reporters in Hiroshima, Japan, at the conclusion of a meeting of world leaders that F-16 warplanes could be used "wherever Russian troops are within Ukraine and the area".

Not much room for misunderstanding now: Ukraine is getting F-16's. Now lets also free up the 24 F-18 Super Hornets Australia retired but can't sell.

I had not heard of that, but here is an article about it:

24 combat-ready F/A-18 Hornets are aging unused in Australia

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Swine!...... Keep your hands off Canada's F-18s. Seriously, Canada will need them because of liberal government bungling, feet dragging and politics. As you may be aware of.Canada has a long history of buying old equipment from allies.

"Most Canadians know the sad story of Canada's second-hand submarines. Purchased from Britain in 1998 for a suspiciously low price, the four vessels have spent most of the last fifteen years being refitted and repaired." Word had it is that the UK laughed and laughed that Canadian admirals were so dumb,Its politicians so .gullible.

Then Canada bought other used F-18s from Australia. But because of Canadian government bungling and delays Canada won't receive its first F-35 until 2026 and its last F-35 until 2034. So Canada will likely end up with them.

In 2016 Canada's F-18s had already reached the end of their service lives with most having 7000 hours. and a useful life of 8000 hours.

But we do have $10 daycare now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Leaked U.S. Report Says Basic F-16 Training For Ukrainian Pilots Could Take Just Four Months

OK, but what about:

1) Mechanic training.

2) Stockpiling parts.

3) Acquiring maintenance equipment.

Given that the F-16 is in use all over the world, parts & tools won't be a huge problem. They just have to get there. Not trivial, but the West does logistics a LOT better than Russia.

Mechanic training really shouldn't be all that big of a deal. They have people experienced on similar Soviet aircraft. 
I don't think the stuff specific to the F-16 would be an insurmountable issue.

I've seen posts in various places that the Ukrainians are recruiting former/retired F16 maintenance folks to come help them. Not sure how much I believe that, but it's a possibility.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, Phil1111 said:

Swine!...... Keep your hands off Canada's F-18s. Seriously, Canada will need them because of liberal government bungling, feet dragging and politics. As you may be aware of.Canada has a long history of buying old equipment from allies.

"Most Canadians know the sad story of Canada's second-hand submarines. Purchased from Britain in 1998 for a suspiciously low price, the four vessels have spent most of the last fifteen years being refitted and repaired." Word had it is that the UK laughed and laughed that Canadian admirals were so dumb,Its politicians so .gullible.

Then Canada bought other used F-18s from Australia. But because of Canadian government bungling and delays Canada won't receive its first F-35 until 2026 and its last F-35 until 2034. So Canada will likely end up with them.

In 2016 Canada's F-18s had already reached the end of their service lives with most having 7000 hours. and a useful life of 8000 hours.

But we do have $10 daycare now

Bungled defense procurement is the norm in Canada.

Back during WW2, there was a scandal about Canadian-made Ross rifles not being able to chamber sloppily-made British ammunition.

Cardboard boots,

Glass water bottles that shattered the first time infantry rolled on the ground.

Shovels that were supposed to double as sniper plates.

No gov't issue puttees for the first draft of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

The list goes on and those examples are only from the First World War. I could go on. I could write a book about Canadian defense procurement blunders, but it would be too depressing. The procurement process rarely makes sense from the perspective of tank drivers or helicopter mechanics. I worked in both trades during my Canadian military service.

13 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Bungled defense procurement is the norm in Canada.

Back during WW2, there was a scandal about Canadian-made Ross rifles not being able to chamber sloppily-made British ammunition.

Cardboard boots,

Glass water bottles that shattered the first time infantry rolled on the ground.

Shovels that were supposed to double as sniper plates.

No gov't issue puttees for the first draft of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

The list goes on and those examples are only from the First World War. I could go on. I could write a book about Canadian defense procurement blunders, but it would be too depressing. The procurement process rarely makes sense from the perspective of tank drivers or helicopter mechanics. I worked in both trades during my Canadian military service.

Hi Rob,

Few people are ever satisfied when someone else buys something for them.

How would you like it if someone you do not know bought you your rig?

As I grew older, my mother learned to always put the receipt in the pocket of any shirt that she bought for me for my birthday.  It made it much easier to do the exchange.

Jerry Baumchen

44 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Looks like they are going to have to increase those enlistment bonuses:  Head of Russian private army Wagner says more than 20,000 of his troops died in Bakhmut battle | AP News

Join now & spend a lifetime in uniform.

It's the length of that 'lifetime; that is problematic.

Jerry Baumchen

You do know he is a liar don't you? He is a former convict himself and the Russian government has stated that only 6,000 have been killed up to last January.

Besides,"'No Body, No Payment': Wagner Mercenary Deaths Being Hidden From Families Back In Russia" and when there is a body they don't even pay for funeral expenses! Not even one ruble. Oh well everyone knows life in Russia really is cheap. I wonder how Slim is making in his new deployment out in Ukraine.

3 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

You do know he is a liar don't you? He is a former convict himself and the Russian government has stated that only 6,000 have been killed up to last January.

Besides,"'No Body, No Payment': Wagner Mercenary Deaths Being Hidden From Families Back In Russia" and when there is a body they don't even pay for funeral expenses! Not even one ruble. Oh well everyone knows life in Russia really is cheap. I wonder how Slim is making in his new deployment out in Ukraine.

Hi Phil,

Re:  You do know he is a liar don't you?

What, what?  Next you are going to say that there is no Tooth Fairy.*  Oh, the horror.

Jerry Baumchen

* After 60+ yrs of good service, I just had a Wisdom tooth removed.  I guess nothing is forever.

9 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Need to ask Slim about this when he gets back. (He'll probably say this is compared to 100,000 Ukranian children who died in Bakhmut - more than its pre-war population but who's keeping count eh?)

17 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

Re:  You do know he is a liar don't you?

What, what?  Next you are going to say that there is no Tooth Fairy.*  Oh, the horror.

Jerry Baumchen

* After 60+ yrs of good service, I just had a Wisdom tooth removed.  I guess nothing is forever.

Navy had quite the practice of removing all 4 wisdom teeth during boot camp.

Thankfully mine were better than the dentists tended to be. I saw a few guys in their racks bleeding for days after the procedure.

20 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Casualties, especially Russian casualties are largely guesswork. 

Estimates for Russian casualties (dead and wounded) at Bakhmut run from 40k to over 100k. Higher rather than lower seems likely.

For the prisoners that Wagner offered amnesty to, upwards of 40k of the 60k sent to Ukraine are dead (just the dead, not counting the wounded). 

And, on a slightly different note, 2 'independent Russian separatist groups' (Russians fighting for Ukraine) have invaded Russia. They crossed into Belgorod and ran around a bit. 
The Russian army is all in Ukraine, so all that was opposing the 'invasion' was some border guards. All that was sent as a 'reactionary force' was riot police, who are really good at beating up unarmed protesters, but not so great against actual soldiers. 

The best part is the statement by Ukraine:

"The security and defense forces of Ukraine are liberating Ukrainian territory and de-occupying our lands in order to reach the internationally recognized borders of Ukraine of 1991. Everything that is happening on the territory of the Russian Federation is an internal Russian conflict," Yusov said.

He noted that the structures that took responsibility for the events in the Belgorod region - the "Freedom of Russia" Legion and the "Russian Volunteer Corps" - consist of Russian citizens who are defending Russia from the Putin regime with arms in their hands.

This virtually mirrors the statements by Russia back in 2014, when they invaded Ukraine the first time.

There was nothing tactically or strategically significant about it.

But it sure makes Putler look like a fool.

And it might motivate Russia to pull troops from Ukraine back to Russia.

That would be strategically significant. The Russians don't have enough troops to defend their lines as it is. Removing any would be bad for them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Politico: Russia issues arrest warrant for Lindsey Graham over Ukraine comments

Well, I'm open to the discussion of an extradition.

I wonder..I wonder... It's the memorial weekend. Do you think the ghost of John McCain has grabbed a hold of Graham and given him a kick in the ass?

spacer.png

trump has spent this important weekend reflecting upon his personal bravery and personal sacrifice. He stated.

"In all caps, the ex-president ranted: “Happy memorial day to all, but especially to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the country they love, and to those in line of a very different, but equally dangerous fire, stopping the threats of the terrorists, misfits and lunatic thugs who are working feverishly from within to overturn and destroy our once great country, (which of course would mean trump himself)which has never been in greater peril than it is right now. We must stop the communists, marxists and fascist ‘pigs’ at every turn and, make america great again!”

It comes after Mr Trump slammed Disney and his main rival in the 2024 GOP presidential primary, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, claiming that he’s responsible for the entertainment giant becoming “woke”.

Earlier in the weekend, he railed against members of the Texas state legislature who voted to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton on charges of corruption. The impeachment effort was led by Republicans, whom Mr Trump branded “RINOS” (Republicans in name only).

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I wonder..I wonder... It's the memorial weekend. Do you think the ghost of John McCain has grabbed a hold of Graham and given him a kick in the ass?

spacer.png

trump has spent this important weekend reflecting upon his personal bravery and personal sacrifice. He stated.

"In all caps, the ex-president ranted: “Happy memorial day to all, but especially to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the country they love, and to those in line of a very different, but equally dangerous fire, stopping the threats of the terrorists, misfits and lunatic thugs who are working feverishly from within to overturn and destroy our once great country, (which of course would mean trump himself)which has never been in greater peril than it is right now. We must stop the communists, marxists and fascist ‘pigs’ at every turn and, make america great again!”

It comes after Mr Trump slammed Disney and his main rival in the 2024 GOP presidential primary, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, claiming that he’s responsible for the entertainment giant becoming “woke”.

Earlier in the weekend, he railed against members of the Texas state legislature who voted to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton on charges of corruption. The impeachment effort was led by Republicans, whom Mr Trump branded “RINOS” (Republicans in name only).

Hi Phil,

In the words of MJOSparky:  'He has not seen the football since kickoff.'

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Putin sent an urgent message to Wagner's Prigozhin. "The Ukrainians have started their offensive, how far have they penetrated?"  Prigozhin replied "They are already deep in our rear"

Yup. 

The RVC & LSR have taken control of some parts of Belograd.

Rather than trying to retake those areas, the Russians have just left.
The cops and local authorities ran away. No army units have responded.

So there's wide spread looting.

No supplies, no gas, no trains, no nothing.

And, of course, the Russians have responded with artillery.

Shelling their own cities to deny them to the insurgents.

So not only is Russia the 2nd most powerful army in Ukraine, it seems to be the 2nd most powerful army in...

Russia.