4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I have yet to see any video of an actual drone carrying an RPG warhead.

I've seen several, including one managing to get a grenade in the (open) top hatch of a Russian tank.  It "blew its top" a short time later when its magazine cooked off.

9 hours ago, billvon said:

I've seen several, including one managing to get a grenade in the (open) top hatch of a Russian tank.  It "blew its top" a short time later when its magazine cooked off.

I've seen the stories where the Ukrainians are 3D printing stabilizing fins to attach to hand grenades. 
They reportedly have gotten very good at dropping them on/in some pretty small targets. 

One thing the old war movies got right is how effective a standard hand grenade is when put inside an armored vehicle. 

But there's a difference between a hand grenade and an RPG warhead. 

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I've seen the stories where the Ukrainians are 3D printing stabilizing fins to attach to hand grenades. 
They reportedly have gotten very good at dropping them on/in some pretty small targets. 

One thing the old war movies got right is how effective a standard hand grenade is when put inside an armored vehicle. 

But there's a difference between a hand grenade and an RPG warhead. 

In this video the plastic 3d printed fins are yellow.  it also shows a regular hand grenade dropped w/o stabilizing fins. The grenades are 40mm grenades that are separated from the propellant and case. The claimed lethal radius is five meters.

It also shows a lack of training by the Russian military. A lack of supervision by experienced officers. The foxholes are shallow. With several troops in each one.

16 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Ukraine won't negotiate. Russia has offered many times .. Even now!!!!

Who said anything about negotiation? Russia can stop the war by retreating to their borders - and since peace is the most important thing, that is what they should do, right?

5 hours ago, Slim King said:

Why should Ukraine negotiate with a man who has NEVER kept to an agreement in the past?

Putler agreed to leave Ukraine to the 1991 borders in the Budapest memorandum.

Obviously, the idea that Ukraine would not allow his hand-picked puppet to rule them was enough for him to invade back in 2014. 

He 'promised' last year that he wasn't going to invade. 
Biden told the world that he was lying. And was right.

Ukraine isn't going to negotiate with murderers.

They haven't forgotten the Holodomor. 

The behavior of the orcs starkly reveals what would happen if Ukraine were to surrender.

The thing is, they don't have to.

Russia has pretty much lost. It's mostly a question of how many defeats it's going to take for them to accept that fact.

They don't have '300,000 troops standing by'

They're drafting 60 year old grandfathers. They're 'recruiting' convicted criminals out of prison.

And they're losing. They're throwing untrained 'soldiers' at prepared Ukrainian positions in human wave attacks, where they get slaughtered like sheep. Of course, the Russians have 'barrier troops' behind them during the attacks, to shoot their own soldiers if they try to retreat.

Some reports have suggested that Wagner recruited 50k prison convicts. And lost 40k of them killed, wounded, captured or deserted.
Similar reports have claimed that Russian conscripts are lasting mere days in Ukraine. From entering the country to dying, being wounded, captured or deserting is often a week.

Russia is buying drones from Iranian manufacturers. 
They're buying artillery shells from North Korea.
They're using tanks made in the 60s. 
Their "Black Sea Fleet" is afraid to leave Sevastopol.

Russia is totally screwed.
They're losing their people, they've lost much of their armor. They've lost most of the little transport capability they had. And that wasn't much.
Fun fact: World War 2 ('Great Patriotic War') saw a LOT of gear given to the Soviets. While the Soviets made thousands of armored vehicles and millions of guns (from large bore artillery down to pistols), they made virtually ZERO trucks. So they depended completely on the allies for ALL of their logistical capacity. 
They didn't learn much in the 70 years since, because their logistics in Ukraine are shit. No food, no ammunition, no nothing. That's one of the reasons the orcs have looted everything in sight. Ukrainian artillery (US made HIMARS) is destroying any supplies they manage to get near the front. 

They've thrown away their future too.  They've ruined ALL of the markets for their arms. Nobody's going to buy their garbage, now that it's clear how shitty it is. 
Nobody's every going to be afraid of them again. 

A very realistic future includes China taking Siberia. 

Russia won't be able to defend it. They won't have the troops or equipment.

And Putin (if he's still alive, which is pretty unlikely) won't be able to go to the international community for help. 

If he went to the UN, he'd get laughed out.

I don't think it's unrealistic to see a world where Russia ceases to exist in the next 5 years. 

Kruschev claimed 'We will bury you!!!'.

Right. Sure. 

Putin has thrown all that down the toilet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slim King said:

An armed man breaks into your house.  He kills your wife.  He takes your money and valuables.  Then you disarm him, and he's standing there with blood on his face and his fist up.

He says "Let's negotiate.  If you leave your house, promise not to testify against me and sign your house over to me I will stop fighting, and no one else has to get hurt."

Do you leave and sign over your house?

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

An armed man breaks into your house.  He kills your wife.  He takes your money and valuables.  Then you disarm him, and he's standing there with blood on his face and his fist up.

He says "Let's negotiate.  If you leave your house, promise not to testify against me and sign your house over to me I will stop fighting, and no one else has to get hurt."

Do you leave and sign over your house?

Maybe, especially these days. If the victim is underwater on his note and couldn't sell and stay whole why not? Of course that limited thinking is what caused you to waste your time on a reply when you should be sorting out Lithium-Air Batteries or something useful.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Why should Ukraine negotiate with a man who has NEVER kept to an agreement in the past?...

Well Putin is shipping new SU-35 jets to Iran in order to pay for Iranian drones. Drones he used to kill Ukrainian civilians. and Drones For Nukes? Russia Is Helping Iran With Nuclear Program ‘In Exchange’ For Missiles & UAVs

Well Putin keeps his promises to kill opponents anywhere in the world.

Well Putin has kept up his flow of rubles to his troll farm workers. i.e. right Slim King?

Russia will make $10 billion for new nuclear reactors if a new nuclear deal is reached. So there is that promise.

Why should Ukraine negotiate with a man who has NEVER kept to an agreement in the past?...

Why should Ukraine negotiate with a man who has NEVER kept to an agreement in the past?

Well Putin is shipping new SU-35 jets to Iran in order to pay for Iranian drones. Drones he used to kill Ukrainian civilians. and Drones For Nukes? Russia Is Helping Iran With Nuclear Program ‘In Exchange’ For Missiles & UAVs

Well Putin keeps his promises to kill opponents anywhere in the world.

Well Putin has kept up his flow of rubles to his troll farm workers. i.e. right Slim King?

Russia will make $10 billion for new nuclear reactors if a new nuclear deal is reached. So there is that promise.

(edited)
5 hours ago, kallend said:

Trolls only succeed if people respond to them.

Just like Ukraine is getting support from the Western world, the legit contributors of this forum should get support in the form of permanent bans of blatant trolls.

Edited by DougH
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DougH said:

Just like Ukraine is getting support from the Western world, the legit contributors of this forum should get support in the form of permanent bans of blatant trolls.

Feel free to use the killfile feature for posters whose content you find devoid of merit, it works great except for moderators.

I lived in the next town from Skokie when the ACLU defended Nazis' right to march there; I'm not a big fan of that group, but I think denying them victimhood was a good call.

I disagree strongly with the stance taken by one poster or another, but don't wish to find myself in an echo chamber by filtering out everything thing with which I disagree.

YMMV,

Winsor 

On 2/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, winsor said:

Feel free to use the killfile feature for posters whose content you find devoid of merit, it works great except for moderators.

I lived in the next town from Skokie when the ACLU defended Nazis' right to march there; I'm not a big fan of that group, but I think denying them victimhood was a good call.

I disagree strongly with the stance taken by one poster or another, but don't wish to find myself in an echo chamber by filtering out everything thing with which I disagree.

YMMV,

Winsor 

Back to Ukraine, here is what the United States of America has to date provided, or has committed to providing, Ukraine in the defense of world democracy. If you post here and are a citizen of a NATO country, not America, I'd like to hear from you why this horrendous asymmetry, once again paid for by we American taxpayers, is fair and right.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF12040

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

If you post here and are a citizen of a NATO country, not America, I'd like to hear from you

No you wouldn’t. You’ve heard about this over and over and over again already but you’re still just trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Back to Ukraine, here is what the United States of America has to date provided, or has committed to providing, Ukraine in the defense of world democracy. If you post here and are a citizen of a NATO country, not America, I'd like to hear from you why this horrendous asymmetry, once again paid for by we American taxpayers, is fair and right.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF12040

I thought it was paid for by borrowing.  Tax and spend is so 20th century, went out of style with Reagan.

12 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I'd like to hear from you why this horrendous asymmetry, once again paid for by we American taxpayers, is fair and right.

Suckers. There's one born every minute. I agree, America is a sucker. And there is not a thing you can do to change it so just keep on whining as I'm very amused by the impotence of your misery and anger.

What do you find so attractive about Putin, and his bullying approach to power (both generation and maintenance)? I really don’t understand why invading another country, and killing off and imprisoning your opponents, is something to support

Wendy P.