4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

30 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Finally, a prediction. Let's check back on this in 30 days.

Edit: my prediction: Ukraine will take some more territory, and there will be no "bombing Ukraine back into the stone age" and Slim will say (again) that "Russia has been playing nice, from now on (again) they'll get serious (again)"

Yep. While Putin is wasting the cruise missiles he has left on neighborhoods the Ukrainians continue to creep along the Dnieper river, and long queues of Russians try to leave Crimea.

With each settlement that is retaken new evidence of civilian torture and murder is uncovered. Negotiations? Yeah right. 

Putin can end this by leaving Ukraine, or continue to fertilize the sunflower fields with conscripts.

• Like 1

Just now, kallend said:

No one forces you to feed an obvious troll.  Click on the settings icon (top right) and maintain your "ignore" list.

I ignored him in the early rounds and, maybe it escaped your attention, I don't reply to him. I only reply to those who engage him in certain gentle, if ineffectual, disclaiming ways. I would prefer it if no one engaged him but that's, apparently, not on offer. So I read the replies of those who do and continue on as bravely as possible. But thanks anyway for the remedial education, Professor.

12 hours ago, billvon said:

He should be back by then.

But...he hasn't revealed his "gotcha" about the COVID vaccine yet! I fell asleep waiting for that...:rofl:

Back to the topic, it looks like the bombardment has actually subsided a lot with only a few odd iranian drones being shot down today.

As for negotiations, Ukraine has actually passed a decree ruling out negotiations with Putin: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/zelenskiy-decree-rules-out-ukraine-talks-with-putin-impossible-2022-10-04/

54 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Back to the topic, it looks like the bombardment has actually subsided a lot with only a few odd iranian drones being shot down today.

I don’t think they can afford to keep it going with cruise missiles. They’ve probably shot close to half a billion dollars worth of sea and air launched Kalibrs this week for no military value. And that’s on top of the staggering amounts they used and can’t have replaced yet in the first month of the invasion.

I saw one explanation which was that it’s purely for domestic show. Putin’s been getting it in the neck from both the moderates who can see the damage being caused to Russia and the hardliners who think he’s somehow being too soft on Ukraine. At least by blowing up some apartments and playgrounds in Kyiv he gets those guys back on side for a while.

15 minutes ago, jakee said:

I saw one explanation which was that it’s purely for domestic show. Putin’s been getting it in the neck from both the moderates who can see the damage being caused to Russia and the hardliners who think he’s somehow being too soft on Ukraine. At least by blowing up some apartments and playgrounds in Kyiv he gets those guys back on side for a while.

It definitely is.

But it worked! Kadyrov was happy, even our very own Slim King was re-energised to "call for peace" (i.e. asking Ukraine to give up) even if all it did was kill a handful of innocent civilians, cause a power outage for a few hours, and mainly just made Ukrainians more angry. From what Slim was saying you'd have thought it had a big military impact, when the fact is it had almost no military impact at all.

But it caused a lot of coverage in the mainstream media, which is strange considering how much Slim and his kind profess to hate and not believe it.

22 hours ago, Slim King said:

Putin is open for negotiations. Zelenski hasn't pocketed enough US money yet it seems. The ball is in Zelenski's court but he's too greedy. He refuses to end the war. In the next 30 days I predict Putin bombs the Ukraine back into the Stone Age if they refuse to negotiate. I'm pretty sure he has severely damaged the power grid as I predicted he would. Since NATO want's to get involved this will escalate even more as they promise more anti-missile defense systems ... So Putin will launch his cruise missiles before they can get them in place. It's gonna really get ugly ... More innocent kids will die. Stop the warmongering and make Peace. 

Part of the problem is Mr. Poutine's unrealistic demands during negotiations. some of his demands remind us of Mr. Molotov's demands of Poland and Finland during 1939. Mr. Poutine would like Ukraine to dis-arm completely and allow Russia troops to be stationed on Ukraine soil (West of the Dnepro River), etc. 

This isn't worse than anything else they've been doing, but it feels so symbolic of their entire war.

"Russian soldiers have shot dead a Ukrainian musician in his home after he refused to take part in a concert... intended by the occupiers to demonstrate the so-called ‘improvement of peaceful life’ in Kherson

Russian troops kill Ukrainian conductor Yuriy Kerpatenko

On 10/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, riggerrob said:

Part of the problem is Mr. Poutine's unrealistic demands during negotiations.

But that works for him.  He makes completely unreasonable demands, Ukraine refuses, then Putin gets to say "they won't even come to the bargaining table!  They don't want peace."

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, kallend said:

No one forces you to feed an obvious troll.  Click on the settings icon (top right) and maintain your "ignore" list.

I don't think we should blame the victims. We are all victims of the troll's posts, and managements decision to continue allow the troll to remain here as detractor to the forum experience, and a interloper. Sorry Mod's, but it is true.

Grandma shouldn't respond to that email about the Nigerian Lottery, but she isn't the true perpetrator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougH said:

I don't think we should blame the victims. We are all victims of the troll's posts, and managements decision to continue allow the troll to remain here as detractor to the forum experience, and a interloper. Sorry Mod's, but it is true.

Grandma shouldn't respond to that email about the Nigerian Lottery, but she isn't the true perpetrator.

I call bullshit. Grandma was tricked. The responders here know full well what they are dealing with and willing participate anyway. It takes two to tango.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, okalb said:

Not every moran is a troll. I know several people IRL that actually believe that same stuff. Unfortunately, some relatives of mine sound like him. Is it trolling if you believe yourself to be correct?

No, but it's pretty clear that 'certain people' on here are simply trolling for responses.

Some of them even openly admit it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

No, but it's pretty clear that 'certain people' on here are simply trolling for responses.

Agreed, I was thinking more of our new addition, not our long time resident troll.

33 minutes ago, okalb said:

Agreed, I was thinking more of our new addition, not our long time resident troll.

Neither of them add any value whatsoever to the conversation. Maybe they add value to the Ad take - that’s the only reason I can think of for why they are still here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

I watched the 60 minutes segment on Ukraine last night about the Russian soldiers murdering civilians.  I thought it was horrendous.  I wish every Russian citizen could see it.  

I caught that segment too. That last guys story was heart wrenching. The bear deserves every poke it gets.

17 hours ago, DougH said:

15 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

14 hours ago, Stumpy said:

Neither of them add any value whatsoever to the conversation. Maybe they add value to the Ad take - that’s the only reason I can think of for why they are still here.

To which I would suggest Liz Cheney is dead. Marjorie Taylor Greene is the new GOP.

Think about that when you think about US domestic political thinking.

(edited)
20 hours ago, okalb said:

Not every moran is a troll. I know several people IRL that actually believe that same stuff. Unfortunately, some relatives of mine sound like him. Is it trolling if you believe yourself to be correct?

Hanlon's Razor reminds us that "if an act can be equally attributed to cruelty or stupidity, stupidity is the more likely answer."

Mind you, if I ever have to use Hanlon's Razor to analyze someone's actions, I will never do business with them a second time.

Edited by riggerrob
add quotation marks
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Hanlon's Razor reminds us that "if an act can be equally attributed to cruelty or stupidity, stupidity is the more likely answer."

Agreed there.  However:

1) Hanlon's Razor compares malice to stupidity, and "malice" may mean a simple desire to get someone mad.

2) At least two of our local rabble-rousers have admitted they post to get people going - "owning the libs" "reeling you in" "I got you" etc.