4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

27 minutes ago, The Hundredth Monkey said:

the dictionary definitions.

Nihilism has more than one definition and they are surprisingly diverse. You'll need to be more specific.

I am agnostic, I have no structured religion

That's not the meaning of agnosticism.

I am better at ad hominem than you

Yay?

Ok, you can make YouTube’s and tiktoks, using ripped off footage. That’s not truth, it’s your point of view. I can make footage of me flying with angel wings, but that wouldn’t be real, either.

Actual data would be nice. And yes, the “theory” of the hundredth monkey has been quite thoroughly discredited.

Wendy P. 

In 2014 Pat Buchanan a flag bearer of "paleoconservatism—that authoritarian strain of thought linking both white nationalists and US President Donald Trump—wrote that Russian President Vladimir Putin was “entering a claim that Moscow is the Godly City of today...Buchanan blushed with praise for Putin’s policies, writing, “In the culture war for the future of mankind, Putin is planting Russia’s flag firmly on the side of traditional Christianity.”...Russian banks funded groups like France’s National Front, but Moscow has hosted international conferences on everything from neo-Nazi networking to domestic secessionists attempting to rupture the U.S. Meanwhile, American fundamentalists bent on unwinding minority protections in the U.S. have increasingly leaned on Russia for support"

Russia and Putin started the WCF>  "WCF was the brainchild of Anatoly Antonov and Viktor Medkov, a pair of sociology professors at Lomonosov Moscow State University, and Allan Carlson, WCF’s current president emeritus. The two Russians, according to Mother Jones, were casting about for a means to stave off their country’s looming “demographic winter”

Putin and Russia then funded. "In the two decades since its formal founding in 1997 the WCF has become one of the primary poles around which far-right U.S. evangelicals have exported their fundamentalism, as well as one of the world’s foremost anti-LGBT organizations. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, the WCF “is one of the key driving forces behind the U.S. Religious Right’s global export of homophobia”—not that the WCF would necessarily take offense to the charge. In 2016, for instance, the WCF hosted a conference in Tbilisi, Georgia, in which, as Coda reported, speakers encouraged attendees to “stay firm against homofascists” and “rainbow radicals.”

What worries me at the moment isn’t Russian propaganda, it’s that some of the press are starting to talk as if ultimate Ukrainian victory is a fait accompli. Hyping the Russians being pushed back to the border from Chernihiv when we know they decided to give up there for now in order to redeploy in the East. Celebrating the BTG being defeated trying to bridge the Siversky river when there are still several more Russian units already in place threatening the closest city objective. The Russians are still advancing in Luhansk and Donetsk where their forces are concentrated and they’ve just freed up a huge amount of firepower from Mariupol. Consider how long it took for Russia to capture that city when they didn’t care how much of it they pulverised, then think about what it’ll take for Ukraine to retake it even if they can finally stop the Russian advance and start pushing them back in open ground. 

It’s a really short hop from prematurely thinking “Ukraine’s doing really well!” to hearing people ask “So do they really need as much support from us now?”

• Like 1

It's basic 'headline syndrome' (or something like that).
Every major story is now a 10 second sound bite. Or one sentence headline.

At the beginning, it was 'Ukraine will fall in days'.

When the Russians pulled back from Kiev and concentrated on the east, it was 'Eastern Ukraine will fall in days'.

Now that it's showing that the Ukrainians are capable and competent, it's turned around to "Russia will be defeated in days".

1 hour ago, jakee said:

What worries me at the moment isn’t Russian propaganda,... “So do they really need as much support from us now?”

Agree. The west needs to supply Ukraine with so many artillery rounds and grad rockets. That an engineering study will be needed to ensure Ukraine doesn't sink into the Black sea.

In the history of western defense since WWll. No defense spending is as effective in ensuring future peace. Than sending artillery to Ukraine.

"Memorandum on Security Assurances in connection with the Republic of Belarus'/Republic of Kazakhstan's/Ukraine's accession to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons" signatories 

(edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 12:07 PM, The Hundredth Monkey said:

Another sucker... lol

Azov surrendered the other day by the way...

Did you just call me a "sucker?"

I am openly hostile towards all forms of Maskirvoka, miss-direction, legal boilerplate, election campaign promises, advertising copy, half of the public announcements made by the Trudeau gov't, etc. I am doubly sceptical of Mr. Poutine's public announcements because they contradict data from most other sources: Manchester Guardian, India Times, Kyv Independent, Toronto Globe and Mail, Paris Match, der Spiegel, New York Times, CNN, FOX News, Steven Colbert and most NATO, EU, First World heads of state.

I just spent the last hour listening to an old interview with journalist Julia Ioffe. Every week I consult a dozen other news sources. How many news sources does our resident monkey consult?

A few years back I got in deep doo-doo for criticizing a gov't document as "a prime example of bureaucratic double-speak" (see George Orwell for definition). The other party - in the lawsuit got furious and bullied me outside of court. But I was proven correct in the long run because an Ontario magistrate censored them for "contempt outside of court" and denied their lawsuit. The fact that no-one has died near there (site of the lawsuit) since 2013 proves my point.

I often offend public figures by calling out their MASKirovka ... er  ... public lies.

Edited by riggerrob
add a paragraph

Russia just lost another general killed in combat. Kanamat Botashev, Russia's Highest Ranking Airforce Commander Killed "On Sunday, May 22, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine said a Russian Sukhoi (SU-25) attack aircraft was shot down over the Luhansk region and that the pilot did not have time to eject.... the 63-year-old retired general ended up piloting a Su-25 in Ukraine is unknown, although former subordinates told the BBC that he "simply could not stay away."...he was dismissed from the military in 2013 when he was accused of crashing an Su-27 fighter near the city of Petrozavodsk, which he did not have permission to fly."

Other reports on the Su-27 crash are to the effect that he was drunk and not qualified to fly the Su-27. That he performed a couple aerobatic maneuvers before crashing. He was court marshaled for the offenses. Then ordered to retire and pay $5 million rubles for the loss of the A/C. He was reportedly shot down by a stinger SAM.

3 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Russia just lost another general killed in combat. Kanamat Botashev, Russia's Highest Ranking Airforce Commander Killed "On Sunday, May 22, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine said a Russian Sukhoi (SU-25) attack aircraft was shot down over the Luhansk region and that the pilot did not have time to eject.... the 63-year-old retired general ended up piloting a Su-25 in Ukraine is unknown, although former subordinates told the BBC that he "simply could not stay away."...he was dismissed from the military in 2013 when he was accused of crashing an Su-27 fighter near the city of Petrozavodsk, which he did not have permission to fly."

Other reports on the Su-27 crash are to the effect that he was drunk and not qualified to fly the Su-27. That he performed a couple aerobatic maneuvers before crashing. He was court marshaled for the offenses. Then ordered to retire and pay $5 million rubles for the loss of the A/C. He was reportedly shot down by a stinger SAM.

He died happy doing what he loved?

On 5/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, Phil1111 said:

Russia's version of Tom Cruise. A drunken, showboating, history. Killing Ukrainian civilians for post retirement fun. So yeah.

This is tasty. Check out the Russian soldier giving the drone the finger and then nonchalantly ignoring it. 

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

No respect and not trying to shoot it down. Oh well.

I don't have this first hand, but I have it that a large number of Russian troops who are contract troops, as distinguished from conscript troops, will be at the end of their contracts in a day or two. My busybody is insistent that is the reason Putin raised the age of enlistment to 50 a few days ago. Inquiring minds.

18 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

My busybody is insistent that is the reason Putin raised the age of enlistment to 50 a few days ago.

This suggests a less lethal way out of this conflict.  In a few months, when Putin has to raise the age again, Ukranians will not have to target Russian tanks or troops - just their walkers.

9 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't have this first hand, but I have it that a large number of Russian troops who are contract troops, as distinguished from conscript troops, will be at the end of their contracts in a day or two. My busybody is insistent that is the reason Putin raised the age of enlistment to 50 a few days ago. Inquiring minds.

They can't get out of the fight even if their contract is over. Brass is ignoring expired contracts and refusing to allow troops to leave. The increased age limit is to replace wounded an KIA with more experienced men. Some are quitting and getting out. But officers are putting every lie and wall in the effort to keep troops on the line.

If they are no longer in Ukraine they can refuse to fight. Refuse to go to the war zone.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

This suggests a less lethal way out of this conflict.  In a few months, when Putin has to raise the age again, Ukranians will not have to target Russian tanks or troops - just their walkers.

Which is why my only war focused charity these days is "Walkers for Ukrainian Patriots". A guy I know who knows this other guy who has a friend continues to claim that these short term contract soldiers are ready to bolt. Maybe.

(edited)
13 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Hi Joe,

He's taken his lessons from Hitler.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Enlistment is not conscription.

PPS)  My brother was drafted in early 1962. At that time, an enlistee's service number began with RA ( Regular Army ).  My brother, the draftee, had a service number that began US.  Just for you trivia folks.  Also, it may have changed, but that's how it was then.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

4 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm going to guess that drone is out of rifle range. 

The zoom on the cameras is pretty good.

Four and 1/2 seconds to five seconds freefall. 125 meters altitude for those pop bottle bombs. I don't know what those improvised explosive bombs were. But they are dropped using "kentucky windage". They don't even have stability fins on them.

If a Russian conscript can't hit a, I'm guessing, .5-.75 meter target at 125 meters. Putin is in more trouble than he thinks. A YouTube view of same video.

There are other improvised bombs dropped by Ukrainian drone forces. Hand grenades, etc. But one of the most effective are RPG rounds with the rocket motor taken off. A printed plastic fin is strapped on the back. So you have a shaped charge bomb thats light weight.

I suspect that many Russian soldiers are afraid to shoot at drones for fear they will attract attention (e.g. artillery), the same way as the North Vietnamese Army tried to ignore Cessna O-1 and O-2 Bird Dog spotter planes, in hopes that they would just fly away.