4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

19 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You don't like to read do you" From your quote"On his first day in office, Biden restored the climate cost estimate to roughly $51 per ton of carbon dioxide emissions, following the Trump administration decision to cut the number to roughly $7 or less per ton and account only for the impacts in the U.S. rather than across the world.

At a time when all US oil companies are raking in the cash "The analysis of major oil companies’ financials shows that 11 of the group gave payouts to shareholders worth more than $36.5bn collectively this year, while a dozen bought back $8bn-worth of stock. This apparent focus, rather than on further drilling, has caused some frustration within the federal government, with Jennifer Granholm, the US energy secretary, stating that “the oil and gas companies are not flipping the switch as quickly as the demand requires.”

Your disregard for working class Americans is only matched by your disregard for the environment.

Former Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs (under Trump) Monica Crowley laments that poor Vladimir Putin is being cancelled:

"Look, Russia is now being canceled. Right? I mean, between the fierce Ukranian resistance, and the widespread international financial sanctions and boycotts, and Russian teams being barred from international competitions, Russia is being canceled."

O won't someone think of poor Vlad?  I mean, he's not evil like Colin Kaepernick.  He's just a white autocrat who is being unfairly cancelled by the left wing media for being white and powerful, and what American conservative can't relate to that?  (And for killing hundreds, and for crushing democracy, but that's not the issue here.)

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Former Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs (under Trump) Monica Crowley laments that poor Vladimir Putin is being cancelled:

"Look, Russia is now being canceled. Right? I mean, between the fierce Ukranian resistance, and the widespread international financial sanctions and boycotts, and Russian teams being barred from international competitions, Russia is being canceled."

O won't someone think of poor Vlad?  I mean, he's not evil like Colin Kaepernick.  He's just a white autocrat who is being unfairly cancelled by the left wing media for being white and powerful, and what American conservative can't relate to that?  (And for killing hundreds, and for crushing democracy, but that's not the issue here.)

Monica Crowley has a curious take on the term 'cancelled' relative to it's woke ideology origins. The left don't own the term 'cancelled', the right has 'cancelled' things too. In the context of her entire statement and body language she doesn't seem sympathetic to Putin at all.  If you're now spinning that as sympathy for Putin, then you've either been duped by a headline or simply drafted your own asinine theatre for a preferred narrative.

It sure would be interesting to have a listening device in the Situation Room. 

One has to wonder if there have been discussions about "removing Putin."  Are there specific laws that prevent that?  In a 2015 article it said, "... officials have criticized the use of the word “assassination” to characterize targeted killings carried out by the United States. The administration’s theory (or part of it, anyway) seems to be that targeted killings can’t be assassinations because assassinations are unlawful killings — and the US’s targeted killings, in the administration’s view, are lawful."

37 minutes ago, billeisele said:

One has to wonder if there have been discussions about "removing Putin."  Are there specific laws that prevent that?  

I'd be fine to be corrected on this, but are heads of state not usually considered to be civilian (as opposed to military) ?  Targeting a politician for a lethal strike would then imply 'targeting civilians', would it not ?  Beyond that; do heads of state not also benefit from the Vienna convention ?  Sergey Lavrov is currently in Switzerland. As much as he may deserve a particular fate along with Putin, it would set a very awkward precedent if he were 'targeted'.

51 minutes ago, billeisele said:

It sure would be interesting to have a listening device in the Situation Room. 

One has to wonder if there have been discussions about "removing Putin."  Are there specific laws that prevent that?  In a 2015 article it said, "... officials have criticized the use of the word “assassination” to characterize targeted killings carried out by the United States. The administration’s theory (or part of it, anyway) seems to be that targeted killings can’t be assassinations because assassinations are unlawful killings — and the US’s targeted killings, in the administration’s view, are lawful."

There are at least 6257 reasons.

He is more popular domestically than your president.

You were saying?

(edited)
14 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

And if we could we'd first float the idea on SC. Anyway Ken, you are as clueless as to America's ability to remove Putin as am I. 

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You had a hard enough time removing Trump, speaking of clueless!

Last I heard Putin had 100% support in the Duma. President Biden just went up to 44% approval. Perhaps President Biden should take a lesson or two from Putin and close down all opposition TV channels, i.e. FOX.

Edited by Phil1111

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You had a hard enough time removing Trump, speaking of clueless!

Not true. We ditched him at the next election. We still have a history of those every 4 years; impeachments not really. But you get my point I'm certain. A lot of folks, and SC is no exception, speak of military actions for this or that with no real understanding of the underlying capabilities or the full range of consequences. For example, the other day I needed to hold my nose and ask Brent how long it would take to get a mythical shipment of small arms into Ukrainian hands because I just did not know. (I also asked BIGUN but he's still mad at me for not wanting to invade, I think)

(edited)
42 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Not true. We ditched him at the next election. We still have a history of those every 4 years; impeachments not really. But you get my point I'm certain. A lot of folks, and SC is no exception, speak of military actions for this or that with no real understanding of the underlying capabilities or the full range of consequences. For example, the other day I needed to hold my nose and ask Brent how long it would take to get a mythical shipment of small arms into Ukrainian hands because I just did not know. (I also asked BIGUN but he's still mad at me for not wanting to invade, I think)

It would be impossible(legally) for Americans to ship small arms directly to Ukraine. Americans can't even export scopes, scope mounts or any gun parts. Without an export permit. Anything "military" related is subject to ITAR restrictions. i.e. body armor, NVG goggles, etc.

Canadians may be able to ship non-military items including scopes, gun parts that are not a part of a military rifle.

Polls indicate that 25% of Canadians favor direct military involvement even it involves casualties.In the US 42 percent favor more direct U.S. military action. Although I didn't check to see if that included approval of possible related casualties.

I was tempted to reply to your earlier post re this issue. But I thought it might be the Merlot talking after a hard beat to windward.

Edited by Phil1111

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

It would be impossible(legally) for Americans to ship small arms directly to Ukraine. Americans can't even export scopes, scope mounts or any gun parts. Without an export permit. Anything "military" related is subject to ITAR restrictions. i.e. body armor, NVG goggles, etc.

Canadians may be able to ship non-military items including scopes, gun parts that are not a part of a military rifle.

Polls indicate that 25% of Canadians favor direct military involvement even it involves casualties.In the US 42 percent favor more direct U.S. military action. Although I didn't check to see if that included approval of possible related casualties.

I was tempted to reply to your earlier post re this issue. But I thought it might be the Merlot talking after a hard beat to windward.

American Military. I'm a long way from asking Brent for advice on citizenship.

8 hours ago, metalslug said:

Monica Crowley has a curious take on the term 'cancelled' relative to it's woke ideology origins. The left don't own the term 'cancelled', the right has 'cancelled' things too. In the context of her entire statement and body language she doesn't seem sympathetic to Putin at all.  If you're now spinning that as sympathy for Putin, then you've either been duped by a headline or simply drafted your own asinine theatre for a preferred narrative.

Even if your exceedingly generous interpretation of her not being sympathetic to Putin is taken at face value, what she’s damn sure trying to do is tie this conflict back to the culture war that the GOP really wants to be fighting. It’s in poor taste at best. 

BTW, you should ask Winsor for a refund on the writing classes. 

30 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Zelensky assassination plot foiled, Ukrainian authorities say

Ukrainian authorities had been tipped off about the plot by members of Russia's Federal Security Service who do not support the war, he added.

Oh, I've got friends in low places...

As much as that sounds wonderful, there is no way of verifying this and could just be part of information warfare.

10 hours ago, metalslug said:

Monica Crowley has a curious take on the term 'cancelled' relative to it's woke ideology origins. The left don't own the term 'cancelled', the right has 'cancelled' things too. In the context of her entire statement and body language she doesn't seem sympathetic to Putin at all. 

You can make the argument "she didn't mean that" but it is what she said.

However I do agree that cancel culture is not unique to the left, although the right wing would very much like you to believe it is.  (As proof of this, mention to any of your conservative friends that Colin Kaepernick was cancelled, and you will most likely get explanations of why that's not the same thing.)

Re Crowley really isn't sympathetic to Putin - given that she publicly hoped Putin would steal and release secret US government emails back in 2016 in order to discredit Hillary Clinton, she does have a history of seeing him in a favorable light.  And of course this merely aligns her with the half dozen Trump associates who have either expressed support for Putin, or who spoke at events supporting Putin.

Edited to add - the latest republican to agree with Crowley is Arizona senator Wendy Rogers:  "The West is trying to deplatform and debank Russia. This is just as wrong as invading Ukraine."  She's already in hot water for calling for the hanging of her political enemies in the US.