4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

2 minutes ago, ryoder said:

BBC: Ukrainian sailor in Majorca tried to sink yacht of Russian boss

A Ukrainian sailor has admitted trying to sink a yacht owned by the head of a Russian state arms firm, in retaliation for the invasion of Ukraine.

He told a judge that he regretted nothing and would do it again.

I hereby nominate him for Hero of the new Ukrainian Republic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, metalslug said:

Certainly, the Ukrainian situation is nothing like Canada (well, maybe the protests by Russians in Russia are), but if you think Canada invoked emergency powers to write a few traffic tickets then you're a bit behind on events there.

Canada invoked emergency powers to more quickly freeze the accounts of people who got those tickets, and to more quickly tow away the offender's vehicles.  It's something they do all the time - but usually it takes a lengthy court process and a court order.  The emergency powers allowed them to do that more quickly.

No one who was not violating traffic laws was affected.

Meanwhile the death toll in the Ukraine is up to several hundred, with at least 100 of them being civilians.

21 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I'm not surprised, though, that people who find it unacceptable to be asked to wear a mask in the midst of a pandemic would be mystified about why people would be willing to inconvenience themselves to help dissuade a despot from attacking a country that has done nothing to pose a threat.  

I am truly amazed that there are republicans out there who so worship Trump that they would support Russia over Ukraine (and over the US) - simply because they were told to do so.  It started out as something as a joke, with Trump being the usual joke.  Then Pompeo.  Then Carlson.  Then Green, Gosar and Fuentes.  And now Brent.

Sort of a study in the power of the cult of personality.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

At great risk to life and limb? Good googaloo, a smithereen would have been a big piece. And with a smoke in his mouth for the mission. What about his film crew? Did he say hold my beer, first? 

Yes but at least he held it away from his body, that alone would have made a huge difference if it went boom.

54 minutes ago, billvon said:

Canada invoked emergency powers to more quickly freeze the accounts of people who got those tickets, and to more quickly tow away the offender's vehicles.  It's something they do all the time - but usually it takes a lengthy court process and a court order.  The emergency powers allowed them to do that more quickly.

Other than freezing bank accounts of organizers, the emergency declaration really served two purposes:

1. It allowed for out of province LEO not to have to be physically sworn in in Ontario.

2. It allowed the government to compel towing companies to tow trucks and cars. Previously tow truck companies didn't want to voluntarily participate, considering that a large share of their income comes from the trucking industry.

Edited by SkyDekker

40 minutes ago, billvon said:

I am truly amazed that there are republicans out there who so worship Trump that they would support Russia over Ukraine (and over the US) - simply because they were told to do so.  It started out as something as a joke, with Trump being the usual joke.  Then Pompeo.  Then Carlson.  Then Green, Gosar and Fuentes.  And now Brent.

Sort of a study in the power of the cult of personality.  

Its important to separate populations from bad, corrupt leadership. IMO the average Russian citizen is no different from the average Ukrainian or Chinese citizen. But increasingly the corruption of the Russian and Chinese regimes. Together with a captive media with propaganda at their cores. Has led to both those nations to corrupt orientations.

Why the Chinese internet is cheering Russia’s invasion is a reprint of a NYT story. In The  Indian Express which is a 90 year old newspaper published in the English language. The story doesn't mention that the Modi Indian government abstained from the Ukrainian vote. But Russian and Chinese citizens are captive of government news sources. Like some in the west are captive of their own radical sources.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

What are you talking about?  Biden left 20% of Russia’s banks unsanctioned, 100% of his energy production untouched, and reversed the Trump sanctions on Nordstream 2.  Just because I disagreed with BIGUN’s plan to drop outnumbered light infantry on top of heavy mechanized divisions, doesn’t make me a Putin stooge.

Edited by brenthutch

17 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

What are you talking about?  Biden left 20% of Russia’s banks unsanctioned, 100% of his energy production untouched, and reversed the Trump sanctions on Nordstream 2.  Just because I disagreed with BIGUN’s plan to drop outnumbered light infantry on top of heavy mechanized divisions, doesn’t make me a Putin stooge.

Do you think Biden is doing a better job leading the US than Putin is doing leading Russia?

17 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Without a doubt.  But you have to admit that is a mighty low bar.

This might be a good time to list out your leadership credentials so that we can contextualize your non-stop denigration of our national leaders. I don't doubt you can run a mean packing floor or obstacle course. I am interested in the large organization experience that lets you see what isn't apparent for me.

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

This might be a good time to list out your leadership credentials so that we can contextualize your non-stop denigration of our national leaders. I don't doubt you can run a mean packing floor or obstacle course. I am interested in the large organization experience that lets you see what isn't apparent for me.

So I guess you think Putin is doing better than Biden?

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Previously tow truck companies didn't want to voluntarily participate, considering that a large share of their income comes from the trucking industry.

Yeah, it's a funny thing that. Tow truck operators are like lawyers. Universally disliked until you need one. They did not really have anything to fear. When you need them you need them.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

You seem to be unaware of EU dependence upon continued Russian gas and energy supplies. Such supplies have to be paid for until those EU countries can wean themselves off of it.

I've studied Bigun's posts and am aware of his responsible demeanor. His  intelligence. I recommend you apologize to him  for any suggestion of his, that the sheer audacity and surprise. That his infantry deployment suggestion would lack stunning success. Otherwise he would never have made it. I'd trust that he and his men could loose a barrage of FGM-148s while still under canopy. Or failing that, have armed drone support in advance of his operation. To neutralize any armor on the landing zone.

13 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I concur. His absences from officer candidates school to drink Beluga Noble Russian and Ustianochka vodka. Did not go unnoticed.

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

You seem to be unaware of EU dependence upon continued Russian gas and energy supplies. Such supplies have to be paid for until those EU countries can wean themselves off of it.

I've studied Bigun's posts and am aware of his responsible demeanor. His  intelligence. I recommend you apologize to him  for any suggestion of his, that the sheer audacity and surprise. That his infantry deployment suggestion would lack stunning success. Otherwise he would never have made it. I'd trust that he and his men could loose a barrage of FGM-148s while still under canopy. Or failing that, have armed drone support in advance of his operation. To neutralize any armor on the landing zone.

I concur. His absences from officer candidates school to drink Beluga Noble Russian and Ustianochka vodka. Did not go unnoticed.

I drank Stumbras 999 in an underground bunker in Lithuania. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gowlerk said:

And FIFA is now saying that for Russia's World Cup qualifier matches, "Russia must play all upcoming international fixtures on neutral sites under the name “football union of Russia,”

Today FIFA has sniffed the air and realized that no amount of Russian money can be paid to them anyway. New announcement...

Russian national football teams and club teams have been suspended from competition until further notice by global football governing body FIFA and European football governing body UEFA. 

On 2/26/2022 at 12:28 PM, lippy said:

Poutine!?!? That’s a Canadian autocorrect if I ever saw one! ^.^

That was a conscious, Canadian self-correction.

A few years back I got upset about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I also noticed that a Ukrainian-born, Vancouver-area skydiver-actor-stuntman resembled the head of Mr. Poutine's pet motorcycle gang: the Night Wolves. A bit more research revealed how authentic the Night Wolves really were.

So I started writing a tongue-in-cheek, action-adventure script about a bungling bunch of Russian "patriots" whose mistakes land them in need doo-doo and help explain how an airliner got shot down. My Ukrainian-born buddy could do all kinds of fight scenes, BASE jumps, wing-suit fly-bys, etc. to maintain the fast pace of the story. One ficticious character was bald, always well-dressed and only seen in silhouette. I called him "Mr. Poutine" in the first draft.

Upon reflection, I realized that the character looked too much like a certain Eastern European politician. Political rivals, journalists and critics who made unflattering remarks about him tended to die from mysterious poisins.

So I handed a rough draft of the script to my Ukrainian-born friend and dropped the project.

As I age, I fear death less and less, so maybe it is time to revive that satirical script.

What do you think?

On 2/27/2022 at 12:18 PM, brenthutch said:

It will likely take around a week for anything that wasn’t already in the pipeline.

“Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics.”

That was Omar Bradley: “Amateurs talk strategy. Professionals talk logistics.” Close enough for SC, though. Thanks.

• Like 1