4 4
SkyDekker

Ukraine

On 2/26/2022 at 10:28 AM, brenthutch said:

image.jpeg.024de8c7ae4d3c1a65adc4a31ac09c61.jpeg
This is a visual representation of what sanctions on the Russian energy sector would look like.  The EU is sitting on the branch (Russian oil and gas) 

Yes, and Putin/Russia is sitting even further out on the branch.  I'm not surprised, though, that people who find it unacceptable to be asked to wear a mask in the midst of a pandemic would be mystified about why people would be willing to inconvenience themselves to help dissuade a despot from attacking a country that has done nothing to pose a threat.  

• Like 1

Hi folks,

IMO one of the best things to do:  The EU will block Russia from its airspace *

Planes that are Russian-owned, Russian-registered or Russian-controlled will not be allowed to use the EU's airspace, the president of the EU Commission wrote.

Russia invades Ukraine live updates for Sunday, Feb. 27 | NPR

Jerry Baumchen

* The EU should also ban all Russian ships from using any ports in Europe.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Bomb disposal, Ukrainian style:

At great risk to life and limb? Good googaloo, a smithereen would have been a big piece. And with a smoke in his mouth for the mission. What about his film crew? Did he say hold my beer, first? 

Edited by JoeWeber

https://twitter.com/WendyRogersAZ/status/1497924388326457346?s=20&t=Fx3L_SlxS0FIi3EK7EMexA

Member of the Arizona senate, Wendy Rogers (the same nutjob who famously called white nationalists 'patriots' and called for hanging of political enemies), has gone full pro-Russia.

"The West is trying to deplatform and debank Russia. This is just as wrong as invading Ukraine."

FMnu0BMWUAACHDx?format=jpg&name=medium

31 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

IMO one of the best things to do:  The EU will block Russia from its airspace *

Planes that are Russian-owned, Russian-registered or Russian-controlled will not be allowed to use the EU's airspace, the president of the EU Commission wrote.

Russia invades Ukraine live updates for Sunday, Feb. 27 | NPR

Jerry Baumchen

* The EU should also ban all Russian ships from using any ports in Europe.

Are you suggesting that I should pour my Russian Vodka down the drain?

19 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

At great risk to life and limb? Good googaloo, a smithereen would have been a big piece. And with a smoke in his mouth for the mission. What about his film crew? Did he say hold my beer, first? 

Very, very risky conduct. Hasn't he seen the ads on the dangers of smoking! Then the film crew, downwind of second hand smoke.

35 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

At great risk to life and limb? Good googaloo, a smithereen would have been a big piece. And with a smoke in his mouth for the mission. 

I guess he figured he didn't need to worry about cancer at that point.

The level of hypocrisy, or perhaps "realpolitik" in the world reaction is starting to get to me. I keep hearing about all these sanctions, but somehow they won't cover energy or other important things. And FIFA is now saying that for Russia's World Cup qualifier matches, "Russia must play all upcoming international fixtures on neutral sites under the name “football union of Russia,”

This after every nation scheduled to play them have already said that they absolutely will not. Follow the money.

Then there is the fact that I have never seen a war situation that did not involve fair skinned people get this much attention.

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I had no idea we had so many talented intelligence agents under deep cover but posting on SC. I'm humbled.

Putin's power originates from his KGB brothers. In USSR times it was the Commissars. Now the KGB, like the old Stasi, spy on the oligarchs, the generals and any opposition. Even Xi relies upon the MSS the Ministry State Security to keep critics in line.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Since the tank was developed, tank crews have had some of the highest mortality rates of anyone on the battlefield.

Jerry Baumchen

"Denmark will donate 2,700 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine, prime minister Mette Frederiksen told reporters on Sunday. Sweden will also send 5,000 anti-tank weapons,"...Scholz’s(Germany) decision to supply 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 Stinger missiles to the Ukrainian military,

The Germans in the second WW nicknamed the Sherman tank the Tommy cooker. With 8700 anti tank weapons on the way російська плита or "Russian cooker" may be the new slogan. I almost feel sorry for those 19 year old Russian tankers. Not.

Aside from that I'd suggest that more civilians that tankers die in war. More Marines than any other MOS. In the Gulf war I don't think that there was any US tanker deaths. Although a couple Bradley crews perished from friendly fire.

Now would be a good time for news outlets to revisit (in detail) Paul Manafort’s efforts in Ukraine on behalf of pro-Russian interests and why the FBI was clearly justified in trying to figure out what he was up to in the Trump campaign in 2016. Oh…..and that Trump pardoned him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Would have made one hell of a jump plane

I'm pretty sure I saw it in the distance on the ramp at Bratislava, Slovakia. Seemed like a good idea so I went for a peek. It kept getting bigger but not any closer, it seemed, so the adventure was cancelled. Could have been some other big ass Russian plane, though. Did get to climb around some early Mig's, looking in the cockpits sticking my head up the exhausts for a peek like the dumbass I am, and inspect a Hind Attack Helicopter before some very serious people with guns requested my departure. The Russians build some cool aircraft, no doubt. One thing about the Mig-15 was how tight the cockpit was for sitting. Someone with a clue later told me that when the pilot ejected there was a fair chance he'd be leaving his legs behind. Doesn't seem believable but it was tight.

Ukrainians laugh at war and danger.

From the Russian boys 'Mama, I Didn't Want To Come'

Afterwards the Ukrainian captors apologized for capturing them. Fed them some nice homemade perogies and holubtsi. Then let them make phone calls home to tell their parents that they had been captured.

Edited by Phil1111

59 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Ukrainians laugh at war and danger.

From the Russian boys 'Mama, I Didn't Want To Come'

Afterwards the Ukrainian captors apologized for capturing them. Fed them some nice homemade perogies and holubtsi. Then let them make phone calls home to tell their parents that they had been captured.

Absolutely brilliant. But I thought perogies were a Polish speciality. No matter, if modern empires fall this way I'm all for it.

The latest Trump-supporter excuse for allowing Putin to walk into Ukraine unopposed: (from Facebook)

"We just watched the Canadian government stomp the dog shit out of their own people, and we did nothing." 

Because traffic tickets are just like invading a country and killing over 100 people.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Because traffic tickets are just like invading a country and killing over 100 people.

Certainly, the Ukrainian situation is nothing like Canada (well, maybe the protests by Russians in Russia are), but if you think Canada invoked emergency powers to write a few traffic tickets then you're a bit behind on events there.

Well, technically it's an APC (Armored Personnel Carrier), but that's funny as all hell.

I'm guessing it's just out of fuel, and it would be handy for plowing the fields.

Edit to add: I've seen (and, of course, can't find again) a meme about 'know your tank', with every armored vehicle (tracked or wheeled) called a 'tank', with the real name on the other side.
Plus a Volvo.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

26 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Another Ukrainian civilian with big, clanking brass balls:

I was sort of thinking that when I saw the video of the Ukrainian motorist talking with the APC crew that had run out of gas. Except i was thinking oc coming back a t night with a couple friends and our 30-06s to start a APC collection.

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, technically it's an APC (Armored Personnel Carrier), but that's funny as all hell.

I'm guessing it's just out of fuel, and it would be handy for plowing the fields.

Those Russian commanders. Skipping the day at the Hero of the Soviet Union war college. When they were taught "logistics of fuel supplies for invading armies". All to drink vodka with other officer cadets.I mean they have Brents in the Russian army too!