MAD1210

AFF student sudden fear of skydiving

Hello, I'm going through AFF, my next jump is Cat E1 (barrell rolls) but I haven't jumped in 3 weeks, for some reason I am very afraid of skydiving again? I loved it until recently, last week I skipped the drop zone because I was afraid. I used to be completely fearless about jumping, where did this sudden fear come from? Has anybody been in a similar situation? Is there a trick or something to do to overcome this fear? I even started to question if this is something I want to do or not? but I know this is a silly question because of course I want to skydive!!!
Help , anything to boost my confidence will help at this point!!!
XOXO

This is a tough one. You probably shouldn't jump if you don't feel you are mentally prepared for it.

Would you have the same fear if you just repeated an earlier jump like the cat 'B' jump? If not, try that. If you are afraid of doing an easier jump you have already accomplished, don't jump.

My opinion is worthless by the way. Talk to your AFF instructor(s) and any mentors around your DZ. They know you better than an internet stranger
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Good question, and the answer is no. I would not be afraid to repeat an easier jump. I was all about the sport until we got bad weather and two weeks went by without a jump then the fear came. Maybe I should talk to my instructors and see if I can do that. Thanks for the feedback :)

I had this to a much lesser degree.

Talk to your instructors, and if you can afford it ask to just go to a "relax" dive with them. No tasks, just jump, freefall, relax, overcome the fear.

For me, the moment I hit the air again my fear evaporated and I remembered why I loved it and why I was doing it. I just needed to get over that bump. Review what you know, about skydiving and about the gear. If you trust yourself and trust the tools you are using, go for it.

MAD1210

Hello, I'm going through AFF, my next jump is Cat E1 (barrell rolls) but I haven't jumped in 3 weeks, for some reason I am very afraid of skydiving again? I loved it until recently, last week I skipped the drop zone because I was afraid. I used to be completely fearless about jumping, where did this sudden fear come from? Has anybody been in a similar situation? Is there a trick or something to do to overcome this fear? I even started to question if this is something I want to do or not? but I know this is a silly question because of course I want to skydive!!!
Help , anything to boost my confidence will help at this point!!!
XOXO

It seems that what you are experiencing is pretty common. For many there is an apprehension, fear, or other similar feeling that seems to come about as one learns more about what can go wrong.

Try to figure out exactly what is bothering you. To jump you must have faith in yourself and faith in the gear. If you don't trust the gear, study and learn more about it. If you don't have faith in yourself, maybe not jumping right now would be good.

There are a couple of books that address fear related to skydiving. Maybe those would help as well.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I had the same thing when I was a student and think it is pretty common, the longer the break the more nervous you get. I just jumped and as soon as I hit the air, it was old hat again and made many more jumps the same day. Heck, I am still slightly nervous on my first load after an extended break (did I turn on my aad, i wonder how crappy i packed this, etc).

It has been around for as long as I've been jumping, and back when I started it was known as "The Sixth Jump Jitters".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

For some reason I developed massive gear fear during Nationals in 2003. I just knew something bad was going to happen. I was doing video for 4-way, and almost had to quit. I got over it.

I think it is just human nature to let our fears get the best of us sometimes. You just have to calm down, go through your procedures methodically, and work through it.

For the OP, doing a more relaxed dive might be a good idea. Some time in the hanging harness is definitely recommended. Maybe even an observer ride.

- Dan G

Why don't you want to be afraid? People hunt for fear. Scary movies, bungee jumping, tandem, roller coasters. Enjoy it. It will go away and there is no way to get it back.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

MAD1210

I would not be afraid to repeat an easier jump. ... Maybe I should talk to my instructors and see if I can do that.

I'm glad DiverMike brought that up. It seems to me that you are not really afraid of anything dangerous, but just nervous about performing well.

I had a friend, when he was a student and I was his instructor, tell me that "I just want to fall!", meaning, "On this jump I don't want to have any tasks to perform".

I planned a "quiet period" right after we exited, where we just smiled at each other and relaxed, and he was then able to do all of the other planned stuff anyway.

If you are jumping from larger aircraft and getting lots of altitude, you might be able to do this too. Heck, you might get bored after 15 seconds of relaxing, and might want to do more!

In any case, I predict much success for you in the future. You will relax and start to have some serious fun.

I almost qui the sport the day after my cutaway. took me about 17 jumps to get my confidence back up.

we do a stupid sport. we jump from perfectly fine running airplanes....

you need to trust the gear but you also need to embrace everything that could go wrong.

good luck. hope you get over it.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

My 400+ jumps and I still shit my pants some days

So far every plane ride I'm crapping my dacks until 1000ft

As soon as that door opens... Ever once of fear is gone and a sense of relaxation joy flows through.
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

When I was going through AFF I didn't do more than a jump every few weeks and went about 2 months because I was working out of town and I was more nervous on the ride to the drop zone. I had more of a performance anxiety than fear of injury. But as soon as I exited the door everything came together. I did a coached jump that was just a practice jump one time that helped my body positioning and control my arch. It helped a lot. Your cat E jumps are some of the funnest jumps so enjoy them. Its not about perfect form. Now I never get nervous and can't wait for my next jump! If you really want to skydive everything will come together. Some people are not cut out for this sport. Blue Skies!

Juzzie

My 400+ jumps and I still shit my pants some days

As soon as that door opens... Ever once of fear is gone and a sense of relaxation joy flows through.

^This, this a thousand times this.

I'm not "crapping my dacks" (whatever a 'dack' is) in the plane, but I'm pretty nervous.

Just got current on Friday after the winter layover (and a really messed up spring).

Nervous, scared, apprehensive, all that.

A standard routine helps. Visualization, relaxation, mentally rehearsing EPs, joking about it with the rest of the load, all the 'normal' stuff.

Red light went on, we opened the door and...

Ohhhhhh Yeahhhhhh.

THAT"S what I'm here for.

Grabbed the bar and leaned waaaaay out. Ya wanna make sure to check for any traffic below, right? ;)

Pulled back in, green light came on and out the door I went.

I really needed that. :)
And FWIW, I went through the same "6th jump fears" that others have mentioned.
The "Brand New" fear wore off, and the "This can be dangerous if you mess up" fears crept in.
Don't ignore that, but you don't have to let the fear win.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I probably talked myself out of going to the dropzone 10 or 12 times in my first 60 jumps. Just couldn't deal with it those days. I'd always go back and do a jump a couple days later. The more you do it and the more current you are when you do it, the less nervous you'll be. I was always much less nervous on the second jump the few times I did a second jump on the same day. Stick with it, the nerves will go away.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I was super nervous when I did my cat E with a diving exit and had to repeat because I psyched myself out and ended up going into some ragdolls on the way down. Ended up getting stable a few times and pulled on time, but man did that scare me. I repeated the jump with a floating exit and just tried to relax on the way up, and then ended up acing the dive and having a hell of a time doing it!

My first jump of the day usually gets my nerves going pretty good, after that though its usually smooth sailing from there. The nerves do get better.

I was very fearless during my first 4 jumps... on my 5th jump I spun out of control, got on my back while spinning then did a bed roll over (that was easy) but I couldn't stop spinning, my instructor was able to help me, once she did I did my turns and continued with the skydive... That's when my fear started. I am not afraid that I could get hurt, that thought doesn't even cross my mind. I am not afraid on the climb up, I trust my equipment and I trust the pack job they do at my drop zone (all openings have been nice and smooth so far), I guess my fear comes from being unstable and doubting my ability to control that. I need to boost my confidence and just do it. Over thinking is not solving anything. I appreciate every single one of the replies on this thread, it really helps a lot to read all the encouraging emails from this wonderful skydiving community that actually takes time from their busy days to reply to a scared student all the way on the other side of the world. How can anyone not want to be part of this big family??
Thank you very much again, I will go and do what I am being trained to do.
Blue skies everyone! :)

wolfriverjoe

***My 400+ jumps and I still shit my pants some days

^This, this a thousand times this.

I'm not "crapping my dacks" (whatever a 'dack' is) in the plane, but I'm pretty nervous.

* Simple translation from Australian - Dacks = pants
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dack
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*