2 2
brenthutch

Kamala Harris

5 hours ago, phantomII said:

Looking from the outside it's fascinating how americans insist on being ruled by a minority.
- Electoral college
- Gerrymandering
- Fillibuster

Germany is controlled by the CDU who received about 35% of the vote. Canada is controlled by the Liberal Party which also received about 35%. Democracies all have rules which are understood and exploited by the ruling classes. The only thing that makes them work is the very real possibility that if the people get angry enough they can kick the bums out. 

Edited by gowlerk

Just now, phantomII said:

Actually it's a coalition of 3 parties (SPD, Green, FDP) which, at least, represent more than 50% of the voter.

Yes, and similar in Canada. As I said they exploit the rules because there is no majority in society on most issues.

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, and similar in Canada. As I said they exploit the rules because there is no majority in society on most issues.

Not quite similar. German Cabinet is made up of ministers from multiple parties. Not at all similar to Canada where one party rules, either through a majority or through a minority.

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Not quite similar. German Cabinet is made up of ministers from multiple parties. Not at all similar to Canada where one party rules, either through a majority or through a minority.

That has been the custom here. That is merely because minority parties, (chiefly the NDP) think that aligning so closely with the Liberals will result in the electorate punishing them next time around. They stubbornly stick to the dream of forming a left wing government some day. But our system certainly allows for deals that include cabinet participation from multiple parties.

On 2/24/2022 at 4:20 PM, brenthutch said:

So she won? Or did she loose?

What did she loose?  The fearsome US-destroying potential of her emails?  The awesome power of her subpizzerian pedophlilia ring?  The 'fateful lightning of Her terrible swift sword' targeted at Vince Foster and Seth Rich?  Or the mighty exploits of her woeful countenance?  Let us all hope she avoided such extremities!

7 hours ago, billvon said:

What did she loose?  The fearsome US-destroying potential of her emails?  The awesome power of her subpizzerian pedophlilia ring?  The 'fateful lightning of Her terrible swift sword' targeted at Vince Foster and Seth Rich?  Or the mighty exploits of her woeful countenance?  Let us all hope she avoided such extremities!

She lost the election which makes her a

image.jpeg.9f3f2ada2903ffbb9d32d83bdecf203b.jpeg

On 2/23/2022 at 9:07 PM, brenthutch said:

NO! You are missing the point ENTIRELY.  She is incompetent because she is incompetent.  The was selected in large part because of her ethnicity and gender by DEMOCRATS!!!

But you just said there were plenty of qualified people who share her gender and ethnic minority status who could have been selected. So how on earth is 'identity politics' then the reason that she, specifically, as a supposedly unqualified and incompetent person was selected?

How is it any different than when any of the tens of thousands of unqualified and incompetent white guys were selected for important positions over the past 200 years of your Republic when a white guy was always the default choice? I'm pretty sure you'd recognise that on those occasions it was only the specific selection process that failed, because they could have simply picked another, better qualified white guy. But on this occasion you believe identity politics as a whole is at fault, despite the fact that her selection wasn't dictated by it and you've acknowledged that there were plenty of qualified and competent non-white, non-guy candidates.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 11:48 PM, brenthutch said:

Yes she is an accomplished professional with genuine credentials, along with thousands of others.  What in her portfolio makes her uniquely qualified to be VP?

What, in any VPs portfolio ever, made them uniquely qualified? Seriously, any of them. Pick one. Just one VP ever who was unequivocably the bestest person in the whole of the USA who coud possibly have been chosen to be VP. 

On 2/24/2022 at 1:34 AM, brenthutch said:

Harris was chosen because Biden wanted….???

Someone who would help him win. Oh hey look, they won. QED, she's qualified according to your own standards. Thank you for helping demonstrate exactly why Kamala Harris was a good and sensible choice for VP.

8 minutes ago, jakee said:

Someone who would help him win. Oh hey look, they won. QED, she's qualified according to your own standards. Thank you for helping demonstrate exactly why Kamala Harris was a good and sensible choice for VP.

I guess Biden wanted to make sure he carried California.  
OTOH it has been suggested that Biden AND Harris, being old and unpopular respectively, were political sacrificial lambs put up to save Democrat talent from being destroyed by Trump (like HRC was).  The economy was booming, unemployment was at record lows, stock market was at record highs, no new wars, energy dominance and none of investigations turned up anything earth shattering, Trump was headed for a landslide victory.   If not for COVID their plan would have worked but it backfired and we are stuck with Biden/Harris and the Ds are headed to electoral oblivion this November.

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I guess Biden wanted to make sure he carried California.  
OTOH it has been suggested that Biden AND Harris, being old and unpopular respectively, were political sacrificial lambs put up to save Democrat talent from being destroyed by Trump (like HRC was).  The economy was booming, unemployment was at record lows, stock market was at record highs, no new wars, energy dominance and none of investigations turned up anything earth shattering, Trump was headed for a landslide victory.   If not for COVID their plan would have worked but it backfired and we are stuck with Biden/Harris and the Ds are headed to electoral oblivion this November.

So what you're saying is if Covid hadn't happened the VP selection was irrelevant anyway. But Covid did give Biden the opportunity for victory, Harris helped him take that victory, therefore your position is that in the real world in which we live, she was a good, sensible choice for VP. 

Glad we had this talk.

13 minutes ago, jakee said:

So what you're saying is if Covid hadn't happened the VP selection was irrelevant anyway. But Covid did give Biden the opportunity for victory, Harris helped him take that victory, therefore your position is that in the real world in which we live, she was a good, sensible choice for VP. 

Glad we had this talk.

No, that is not at all what I said. What I said was:

“I guess Biden wanted to make sure he carried California.  
OTOH it has been suggested that Biden AND Harris, being old and unpopular respectively, were political sacrificial lambs put up to save Democrat talent from being destroyed by Trump (like HRC was).  The economy was booming, unemployment was at record lows, stock market was at record highs, no new wars, energy dominance and none of investigations turned up anything earth shattering, Trump was headed for a landslide victory.   If not for COVID their plan would have worked but it backfired and we are stuck with Biden/Harris and the Ds are headed to electoral oblivion this November.”

Now I know how Jordan Peterson feels 9_9

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Now I know how Jordan Peterson feels 9_9

Then do something Jordan Peterson never does - speak plainly and consistently.

If Harris helping Biden to win has no impact on whether she was a good VP choice, then retract your statements that Clinton was not well qualified because she lost.

If Harris not being uniquely qualified to be VP is the reason why you are compelled to so intensely criticise her specifically, tell which VPs have ever been uniquely qualified?

2 hours ago, jakee said:

If Harris helping Biden to win has no impact on whether she was a good VP choice, then retract your statements that Clinton was not well qualified because she lost.

I never said Clinton was not well qualified, I said she lost.  Despite her qualifications, her personality was so toxic that she lost to a carnival barker and buffoon.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I never said Clinton was not well qualified, I said she lost.  

Why did you bring that into the discussion if winning or losing is irrelevant to the topic?

Anyway - I asked you who you have ever considered to be uniquely qualified for the VP position. Are you saying that you agree with headoverheels that Hilary Clinton is that person?

30 minutes ago, jakee said:

Why did you bring that into the discussion if winning or losing is irrelevant to the topic?

Anyway - I asked you who you have ever considered to be uniquely qualified for the VP position. Are you saying that you agree with headoverheels that Hilary Clinton is that person?

HRC had the resume, her other characteristics are what kept her out of the White House 

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

HRC had the resume, her other characteristics are what kept her out of the White House 

And most of those other characteristics were genned up and "highlighted" by the media. You know -- that lying media... The whole "not feminine, wants power, money-hungry" etc. is largely a fabrication. She's not that good speaking to groups, apparently she's extremely effective one-on-one.

But some media outlets are more interested in driving the narrative than in letting the story develop.

Wendy P.

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You just said her winning or losing is irrelevant. I asked you who has ever been uniquely qualified to be VP. Are you saying Clinton is that person?

18 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And most of those other characteristics were genned up and "highlighted" by the media. You know -- that lying media... The whole "not feminine, wants power, money-hungry" etc. is largely a fabrication. She's not that good speaking to groups, apparently she's extremely effective one-on-one.

But some media outlets are more interested in driving the narrative than in letting the story develop.

Wendy P.

It’s “ginned up” and the following is from one of her security detail, not FOX News.

“she simply lacks the integrity and temperament to serve in the office,

From the bottom of my soul I know this to be true. And with Hillary’s latest rise, I realize that her own leadership style — volcanic, impulsive, enabled by sycophants, and disdainful of the rules set for everyone else — hasn’t changed a bit.”

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It’s “ginned up” and the following is from one of her security detail, not FOX News.

“she simply lacks the integrity and temperament to serve in the office,

From the bottom of my soul I know this to be true. And with Hillary’s latest rise, I realize that her own leadership style — volcanic, impulsive, enabled by sycophants, and disdainful of the rules set for everyone else — hasn’t changed a bit.”

Thanks for quoting your source. For sure if a rent-a-cop has her figured out that's good by me. I don't much care for her, probably because I was steered that way, but in contrast to Trump she has the experience and she's smart. Really she didn't lose, the nation did.

• Like 1