forever2wheels

A license and done

DrDom

If you hate the sport, why join the message board... just get your A and bail.

Ironically I think your A-license is just when things start to get really fun, so by bailing at that point he would do all the hard stuff and miss out on the fun that follows - when jumping with others is an option.

I honestly don't think the OP will follow through. He either quits now, or once he gets his A-license, realizes that what he was complaining about is now in the past.

I'm not going to judge the validity of what he says. Weather-holds happen to all students because that aren't ready to deal with high winds yet. He should spend that time learning how to pack his parachute, or bring a book to read.

Life is what you make it. I challenge the poster to come back. My popcorn is sitting here right by the computer but is starting to get stale. ;)

Dopamine_Junkie

I don't know you, but reading your story makes me think of a saying from the show Justified. "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -Raylan Givens.

Either it was a straight troll or the guy found some truth in the above quote.

Iago

Well, remember that the A-license doesn't expire and you can come back anytime. You will find the clique and ego-driven punk attitudes pretty much anyplace you go. I tend to hang with the old-timers myself. They're from a different age and have a completely different mentality than the next-gen skydiver.

Damn right we have a different attitude!!

You'll never hear me say, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

My beer goes with me!;)

Skydiving, by its nature, is a very humbling sport. I never jumped in the military, but it seems obvious to me that few, if any, skills from military static line jumping under round canopies will translate to modern skydiving. You do not have 83 skydives; you have 23. Furthermore, you have less experience that most jumpers with 23 jumps because you have done so many solo jumps. Nothing wrong with that. But you seem to think that you are on a path to get your A license. You are not. They don't give out license for solo jumps.

Not everyone who completes AFF will get a license. Again, nothing wrong with that. But I would suggest to you that getting your A license would be a worthwhile effort on your part. Can you swoop to a formation? Can't learn that in a thousand solos. Can you adjust your fall rate to match another's? Ditto. Group flying skills make a skydiver out of those who are merely "cleared for free fall." How about tracking? Without another jumper in the air with you, you can't see what you are or are not doing. These skills are worth learning because they are difficult and therefore rewarding when they are finally achieved. Any meatball can jump out of a plane. But it takes a skydiver to jump with others, and it is a helluva lot of fun.

Your experience sounds similar to mine when I started. But now I have realized who the asshole was.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy