snowlep

Too fast horizontally on landing

snowlep

Maybe, one day.

:D he is referrring to you saying you do not plan on it then following it up with the most you would ever do is a 90 or 180. Tip: 180's are not a great thing to do bc of the visual picture you get. YOu do not have eyes in the back of your head. ;)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Up size. Learn how to fly, then, if you want to, down size. Worked for me.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

This is great advice.

People have this idea that canopy size is a one way progression. It's really not.

I wish I'd known that earlier... premature downsizing, looking back, has really hurt my progress as a pilot. You have this feeling that "well I'm on this fully-elliptical 150 now, guess I'd better learn to fly it." Actually I would have been better quicker if I'd put it back in the attic for a while, gone back to the 170 and learned to fly, period.

On-topic: I am thinking about learning to swoop. Like the OP, I don't intend to be the fat-270-to-final, ridiculous-cheststrap guy. But I'd like to at least know how to do it. If I do, the Stiletto 120 is going in the cupboard and I'm going to find a Sabre2 150 for the duration.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

stayhigh

Keep downsizing. It might help.

Man, you're just looking for controversy!
While your idea has certain merit in very specific circumstances, I don't think it applies here.

The OP is at 1.25 loading on a Sabre 170, so should be able to get a decent flare out of the canopy.

It isn't like some 120 lb girl at 0.7 wing loading on a student canopy, who downsizes to 1.0 loading. That's the sort of case where a jumper gets a better flare because of gaining decent energy to plane out, that doesn't require perfect timing.

Plus the OP was having problems slowing down the touchdown, not turning the corner in the first part of the flare.

Ya, I had the exact same problems here as well.. I just couldn't stop at the end.

and
I kept downsizing.

by the time when I downsized to 150, I was loaded at 1.5 and I figured out how to run or slide.

Some people perform better when it is do or die situation. OP might need some of that motivation to survive. OP has only one problem, horizontal speed. I had two to work with, horizontal and vertical.

Downsize.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Okay, I guess we've both had our say.

While I might sometimes try to steer newbies clear of your advice (at least without further explanation), your advice tends to have a certain admirable yet brutal old school charm to it, from the days when "Don't fuck it up... or else pay the consequences" was valid skydiving instruction. :S

pchapman

Okay, I guess we've both had our say.

While I might sometimes try to steer newbies clear of your advice (at least without further explanation), your advice tends to have a certain admirable yet brutal old school charm to it, from the days when "Don't fuck it up... or else pay the consequences" was valid skydiving instruction. :S

I was not skydiving back then, so I have a question. Did the people giving this hardcore advice still skydive, or did they quit skydiving, like Stayhigh, and just stick around a computer screen giving "badass" advice to noobs?