SethInMI

boodacious double mal (making the rounds on media)

my wife is on dailymail.co.uk all the time, and cc's me on skydiving stuff that makes it on there. 

Someone who jumps at Deland and goes by "Boo dacious" posted a double mal vid that got picked up by dailymail. Looks like PC in tow followed by a cutaway and reserve deploy, main came out of the tray and tangled with the reserve. Hard to tell what when on with the 360 view camera.

anyone got any background on this? these types of incidents always make me think of "straight to sliver" on the pc in tow....

If you’re asking if it’s better to cutaway and deploy reserve vs. straight to reserve, it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. I’ve seen it go bad both ways as well as go fine both ways. SIM Section 5; Total malfunction; Pilot Chute In Tow is a choose your own adventure.

I’d like a little clarification about the PC folding/stowing method as well as the age and amount of use of the PC. Also would like some clarification about the container make/model/size along with main and reserve make/model/size.

If I had to speculate based on the info provided, the pin was possibly pulled, but, the PC didn’t have enough drag to pull the main out of the container. This is either due to a worn PC and/or un-cocked PC and/or shrunken kill line and/or a bridle knot possibly exacerbated by an over stuffed main/reserve tray.

His description seems to indicate UPT points to bridle knot as a result of PC folding/stowing method. If it was a bridle knot, it would likely still be knotted and could be identified. This lack of knot leads me to believe it’s more likely to be one of the reasons listed in my speculation.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:56 AM, gowlerk said:

Old discussion for sure. I'm going to go with the possible two out and save the cutaway decision for later.   

The reserve opened very nice, too bad he didn't right then reach back with at least one arm to contain the main.  It might make things worse, but I think it would be my reaction.

1 hour ago, sundevil777 said:

The reserve opened very nice, too bad he didn't right then reach back with at least one arm to contain the main.  It might make things worse, but I think it would be my reaction.

Look closer. It looks like the reserve snagged the main pilot chute and took it during the deployment. He had no chance to contain the main after deploying the reserve.

Edited by chuckakers
  • Like 1

I've had a total where I went straight to reserve without cutting away and I would also do so for PC in tow as I've seen a high speed mal resulting in broken lines (long time since I've seen it so might have been a riser) on the reserve from the hard opening and the jumper only being saved by being able to fight the main out as he was spinning to the ground. This is just my personal choice and many would disagree with me.

YMMV as there are all sorts of things that can happen but I'd personally rather two canopies out with all the fabric associated with that and an opportunity to get them apart than my worst nightmare of having a completely unworkable reserve and no main because I chose to cut it away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kleggo said:

3D camera view made me want to throw up. Unlikely I'll ever buy one of those

360 degree camera. Yeah, the raw footage is hard to watch. Normally you use editing software to pick out what parts of the view you want to show so it looks normal.