3 3
DEG

How old is too old to start?

Tandem is an excellent way to start; someone else deals with business while you get to experience sensory overload. I started before tandem, and I’d recommend it for anyone. 

However, that tandem should form part of your student progression; there should be a set of skills that you should demonstrate during it. 

Wendy P. 

On 2/5/2015 at 8:24 AM, DEG said:

I'm 63, not overweight (6', 170 lbs), in reasonably good shape from a fairly active lifestyle and no known health problems. I've had a fascination with skydiving for a long time, even have 5 S/L jumps (many years ago that were actually 2 jumps, then a military deployment that interrupted things, then another 3 S/L jumps a few years later that preceded another military interruption) but never got back to it. Have taken a recent early retirement and realize I still have the bug. So, do other people start at my age or is this just ill advised?

Of course!!! I’m 59 and on my 6th S/L jump. Slow process but I’m not giving up!

Like a few comments I've seen on here, I'm older and very new to the sport. Made my first tandem for my 50th. I'm 52 this yr & started the reqs for my "A" license. My instructor had concerns about my having a bad left knee. I won't get into the damage, but went to the ortho who told me "if you wanna do it.. DO IT. You already need an artificial joint and you cant really damage it worse."  So I'm going forward. I may pick up a little slower, but the way I look at it i wasn't gonna do 50 jumps and quit... so what difference does a few extras in getting my license matter.

Yes i know I'm bugging the hell out of a lot of friends who know me & don't share or get the interest. Yes I know I likely sound like one of those annoying newbies who has no idea how silly they sound and don't know what they don't know. SO...? !

I cant let it go... and why should i?

Blue skies.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, celticrider67 said:

Like a few comments I've seen on here, I'm older and very new to the sport. Made my first tandem for my 50th. I'm 52 this yr & started the reqs for my "A" license.

Cool! I started with AFF at 50 and at 53 am 350 jumps in, participated at my first nationals in 4-way and didn't even place dead last.
PLF on your first 20 landings, find a canopy that you like and trust (consistent soft openings would be a good primary criteria) and don't listen to all that "downsizing" talk. --that's about all the advice I have! Oh, and being a bit older may make you less strapped on the $$$ issue, so you can have someone pack your chute when you want to keep up with younger jumpers trying to get on a 20 minute call after landing! xD 

I just turned 60 and I’m working on an A license because I CAN! I’m very slow but still in the persuit!  Have wanted to skydive for 35 years.  After my first tandem jump, I got online and signed up for jump class. There is nothing that compares to letting go of an airplane 4000 feet in the air!

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, TJump4now said:

I just turned 60 and I’m working on an A license because I CAN! I’m very slow but still in the persuit!  Have wanted to skydive for 35 years.  After my first tandem jump, I got online and signed up for jump class. There is nothing that compares to letting go of an airplane 4000 feet in the air!

Bravo. I retired at the end of last year so I can jump when I want, but at my age it's getting more difficult to do things simple things, like flare my canopy (and that flexibility stuff was a big gotcha when I tried out a wingsuit last year). I got to the gym and increased my upper body strength so I'm better but I was surprised how such weakness creeped up on me. I'm also very close to upsizing; going from a 190 main to a 220 or even larger (which will mean a larger container, darn it). I expect I'll be one of those old-fogey belly-flyers soon, if I'm not one already. And yeah, it's still exciting after so many years. And scary, but that is as it should be...better a little scared than a lot complacent.

Edited by Guest