blkhwkmech89

buying gear/money transfers overseas?

get a rigger as a trustholder as a station in between.
The Rigger holds on to the gear until every party involved is satisfied with the deal, the money is sent and the gear is in the advertised condition. Otherwise everything goes reture and you cover shipping. Done it a couple of times, works like a charm

ETA: escrow, new word for me, again what learned =)
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

blkhwkmech89

I'm looking at buying a velo from a jumper in Slovak Republic but he has no paypal. I don't get the feeling that anything fishy is going on but what are people usually doing for transfers like this?

There is no good reason why he can't get a paypal account.

GoHuskers

***I'm looking at buying a velo from a jumper in Slovak Republic but he has no paypal. I don't get the feeling that anything fishy is going on but what are people usually doing for transfers like this?

There is no good reason why he can't get a paypal account

Really???

Getting a paypal account in some parts of the world is not as easy as you might think.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

And some people prefer not to use PayPal even though it's possible, because they can provide a pretty terrible user experience and their customer interactions can be arbitrary and vicious.

The escrow thing is the right answer for plenty of reasons. Find a mutually trustworthy party; skydiving is a surprisingly small world.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

mik

******I'm looking at buying a velo from a jumper in Slovak Republic but he has no paypal. I don't get the feeling that anything fishy is going on but what are people usually doing for transfers like this?

There is no good reason why he can't get a paypal account

Really???

Getting a paypal account in some parts of the world is not as easy as you might think.
Indeed. For me, getting a paypal account would be equivalent to getting a foreign bank account. A metric excriment-ton of hassle (not to mention banking fees to get money into it or out of it). Plus, I also read the customer experiences people have with them.

Not a snowball's chance in hell I'm ever getting a paypal account.

Paypal alone can be dangerous for either party and charges can be reversed after getting the item. Use an escrow service. Paypal will also charge a fee, which can be quite large if the item is expensive. You should send the money as a gift to avoid that if you use Paypal, but the may say no if it is country to country. I have moved more than 100k through paypal in the last 2 years and the fees can suck and people have tried to screw me by reversing transactions.