1 1
gowlerk

Dogma runs amok

47 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yup.

If you don't say the words of the spell exactly right, the spell won't work.

What about the poor children who may have died young not knowing they were unbaptized and now condemned to hell for eternity?

1 hour ago, headoverheels said:

Try saying Exprecto Patronum instead of Expecto Patronum and nothing will happen.

I am trying to picture what would happen if a gang of heathen ruffians broke into a church and replaced the holy water with plain old tap water.  Would a generation of Catholics at that church grow up as godless atheists, gay-marrying their parrots and spreading communism throughout the US?  What if you never told them?  Would it still happen?

1 hour ago, billvon said:

I am trying to picture what would happen if a gang of heathen ruffians broke into a church and replaced the holy water with plain old tap water.  Would a generation of Catholics at that church grow up as godless atheists, gay-marrying their parrots and spreading communism throughout the US?  What if you never told them?  Would it still happen?

Too late!

"The issue with using 'We' is that it is not the community that baptizes a person, rather, it is Christ, and Him alone, who presides at all of the sacraments, and so it is Christ Jesus who baptizes," Olmsted wrote in a message to parishioners posted last month.

Well, are we certain that Jesus didn't prefer the pronouns "we/us/ours?"  (after all, he/she/they are a trinity, isn't he/aren't they?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billvon said:

I am trying to picture what would happen if a gang of heathen ruffians broke into a church and replaced the holy water with plain old tap water. 

Hey, that holy water makes the very best bong water, (or so I'm told)!

11 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yup.

If you don't say the words of the spell exactly right, the spell won't work.

"Olmsted said the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in 2020 affirmed that when a baptism is conferred with the formula "We baptize ..." it is invalid and people need to be baptized again......"

That's the new, sanitized name of The Inquisition.