crazydiver

Anyone Know Leo/Ray Barnes

I have friends at Paracaidismo Chile dropzone in Chile and they recently transferred money to someone named Leo or Ray (or maybe Larry) Barnes in Texas. They bought a student rig from him. As soon as they did the transfer, they said they stopped hearing from him, which was a couple weeks back. Anyone have any info on this person in Texas? We tried calling, but never answered and doesn't have voicemail set up. The transfer was sent to his account at Wells Fargo in Richmond, TX. Anyone from around that area?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Hope my buddies aren't getting scammed.

Cheers,
Travis

Hey, Travis.

Richmond, TX is part of the Houston Metro area. If he is a skydiver (assuming he's using his real name), he'll be jumping at Skydive Spaceland or West Houston Skydiving. You can look them up in Parachutist or online.

Try calling and ask for the DZO. Explain your situation and perhaps they'll be willing to ask around. Maybe they can check their files (e.g., waiver) to see if they have anyone by that name who is jumping there or has jumped there.

Good luck!

CSpenceFLY

***Wells Fargo Transfers is a huge red flag for scams. Are they sure that he actually exists and that they were not scammed?

I think you are thinking of Western Union. Wells Fargo is a rather large bank.

Another avenue is to ask your friend's local bank to query Wells Fargo about the name on the account. It takes an ID to open a Wells Fargo account. At least you'll know the exact name.

Keep us posted on how it works out. Best of luck!