5 5
A-73988

Continuous control lines and tension knots

On 5/8/2022 at 10:38 PM, BMAC615 said:

I talked to the guy with the Outlaw who had the slider off tension knot. It’s extremely rare and has yet to be recreated. The other factor of the incident is the Outlaw was packed for 6+ months before that jump. Here’s the paper I mentioned. 

Interesting read. Id never heard of slider type and choice being a huge factor. It was always about untwisting brake lines and proper line stows. I would assume though that slow sliders would have lower tension knot frequency than faster ones but the data doesn't show a statistically significant difference according to the paper. Also , would using direct control help mitigate some of the risk? Given the fact that the paper doesn't mention it I would venture there isn't much of a statistically significant difference there either. As always with tension knots. I have more questions than answers as time goes on. But maybe that's not such a bad thing.

According to the paper, the whole link between the Hayduke and tension knots wasn't based on anything concrete statistically speaking. I really hope someone who made those connections would chime in so we can ascertain what is what. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:35 PM, A-73988 said:

Interesting read. Id never heard of slider type and choice being a huge factor. It was always about untwisting brake lines and proper line stows. I would assume though that slow sliders would have lower tension knot frequency than faster ones but the data doesn't show a statistically significant difference according to the paper. Also , would using direct control help mitigate some of the risk? Given the fact that the paper doesn't mention it I would venture there isn't much of a statistically significant difference there either. As always with tension knots. I have more questions than answers as time goes on. But maybe that's not such a bad thing.

According to the paper, the whole link between the Hayduke and tension knots wasn't based on anything concrete statistically speaking. I really hope someone who made those connections would chime in so we can ascertain what is what. 

Matt Gerdes wrote the paper with input from many people including Will Kitto. You can reach out to them directly if you have questions.