tred

instructor negligence

Could it be the recently departed Ted Mayfield, well known for both being a big supporter of skydiving and being a little on the lax side with students?

I can't vouch for the details but the below quote from an online article is inline with what I've heard before.

Mayfield came up on the radar screen again when it was learned that 13 skydiving students had fallen to their deaths due to their parachutes failing to open. In 1994, Mayfield was sentences to 4 months in federal prison for flying without a pilot’s license. And in 1995, in Yamhill County Circuit Court, Mayfield pled guilty for the deaths of two students; the death in 1993 of student Charles Schaefer and the death in 1994 of student Lee Perry Sr. Mayfield received 5 months for criminal negligent homicide. The court believed Mayfield was criminally responsible for the deaths of his students as the court believed the parachutes that Mayfield had packed were faulty. That same year, Mayfield’s Parachute Rigger Certificate had been revoked by the FAA.

(Of course the 'parachutes failed to open' thing will have been more complex in reality.)

Who knows, the IRM seems a bit alarmist perhaps because it may deal with only a highly unusual extreme.

Hi jim,

IRC, the reason they held him criminally liable is because he put them out without AAD's. I also think one was underage too...

Since I built the rig that the died was using, and I testified before the grand jury, I can tell you it was ( IMO ) only due to the misrigging of the rig. The guy was 83 yrs old, no one underage.

Jerry Baumchen