kallend

Super Bowl National Anthem

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

They don't care, you are no longer in their target demographic!

Hi Ken,

Well, for me, that is a definite.

Also, I ALWAYS mute my tv whenever any commercial comes on for any tv broadcast show/program.  I also did not watch the opening 'ceremonies', did not watch the half-time show, and moved on as soon as the game ended.  I saw what I wanted to see; even if the team I wanted to win did not.  C'est la vie,

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I have yet to find any sporting event in which the outcome changed anything about my life.

14 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

At the end of the half time show, the spectators were applauding.  Not sure if they were applauding because they liked the show or because it was over.

I rarely drink Pepsi but not any more.

yeah, i wonder why folks applaud at the end of the anthem also, but that is more because i used to be surprised that everyone acts like the flag code doesn't exist and that you're not supposed to applaud afterwards, but you're also not supposed to use the flag as a bikini, so...

on a side note, i loved the part where emenim took a knee.  that was worth stopping my book and unmuting the tv when the s.o. wanted to watch halftime.  i love pepsi, and this just made it all the better, even though it can take months to go through a six pack.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:25 PM, kallend said:

If that was "Voice of an angel" I think I'll go to the other place and listen to the Stones.

I just checked out the performance. It seems perfectly appropriate to me that at an event like the Super Bowl the anthem should be turned into a showtune. It suits the whole American ethos.

• Like 3

I can't remember when but many years ago a channel different than the one that broadcast the Super Bowl had their own half time show.

On the screen was a count down timer that showed how much time was left until kick off for the second half.  I watched that half time show and it was pretty good.  Maybe it is time for another network to do the same thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

I can't remember when but many years ago a channel different than the one that broadcast the Super Bowl had their own half time show.

On the screen was a count down timer that showed how much time was left until kick off for the second half.  I watched that half time show and it was pretty good.  Maybe it is time for another network to do the same thing.

Hi Big,

IMO that would be more entertaining that this year's half-time show.

Jerry Baumchen

16 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Big,

IMO that would be more entertaining that this year's half-time show.

Jerry Baumchen

for who?  with over 300 million people in the us alone i doubt anyone could make all of them happy at once.  my s.o. was so stoked to watch the show that we sat with the tv on mute the whole game until it came on.  that was because neither of us watch football, hell i had a good book.  the show was great, and i found out that it turns out the nfl did not ask emenim to not take a knee during practice, that was a rumor spread by someone.  or at least the nfl rep that wrote the comment i read said they had watched the practice all week and he did it every time. 

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

my s.o. was so stoked to watch the show

Yes, it was very popular with everyone under something around 40 years old. The people who didn't like it for the most part simply don't care for that style of music. Turning into a race thing is incorrect. White America has long embraced POC in music and entertainment.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, it was very popular with everyone under something around 40 years old. The people who didn't like it for the most part simply don't care for that style of music. Turning into a race thing is incorrect. White America has long embraced POC in music and entertainment.

she's 55, so...and did you seem emenim's response courtesy of colbert?  funny as hell.  when you hear folks complaining about him taking a knee, during the halftime show, you can rest assured it was never about the knee.  straight up racism/

23 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

1992 Super bowl half time show.

"A “Winter Magic” pageant, because the game was in Minnesota. Giant snowmen. Figure skaters Dorothy Hammill and Brian Boitano. Hideous dancing imps waving hockey sticks to Queen‘s “Don’t Stop Me Now.” And Gloria Estefan, because when you think of the Great White North, you naturally think of Gloria and her Minneapolis Sound Machine. But everyone clicked away to watch In Living Color‘s live comedy special – one of those genius ideas that changed the world. (In Living Color had a lot of those.) Nobody had ever challenged the Super Bowl halftime before, and it worked, because even cheap Dick Butkus jokes were more fun than hearing “Winter Wonderland” in January. This was the big turning point, as the In Living Color stunt finally jolted the Super Bowl into getting serious about halftime. The next year they brought in Michael Jackson. What would Brian Boitano do?"

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not a fan of rap or hip-hop. Not my thing.

But I didn't go off the deep end complaining about the show. I actually watched it.

I have to say I was impressed with the production. The technical end was pretty flawless. The sound was excellent, the lights and effects all worked (that has not always been the case). 

While I understand the logic that the people who didn't like it are old and don't like that kind of music, the ones I personally know that hated it the most are also pretty racist (a few of them overt, most 'closeted').

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 5:38 AM, gowlerk said:

Since rap and hip-hop came into fashion after I reached adulthood, I have difficulty relating to them. My version of "angry young man music" ended with Bob Seger.

At one point I was dating a music professor and described rap as "just another genre of angry young man music." That did not go over well with her!!!!!!
OTOH as an historian, I try to identify long-term cycles of weather, crop-failures, politics, warfare, art and music. If you live long enough, you will see waves in many aspects of society.,

• Like 2