peek

Problem with my demo accessories

Boy, do I feel stupid. I wasn't able to use a piece of my exhibition jump gear because of a failure.

I made a really nice pouch that fits around my midsection that can hold either a flag or a nylon streamer. The flag has never been an issue and probably would never be, but today on a demo jump the streamer was unusable.

I used a nice large-toothed plastic zipper to hold the pouch closed and it has never been a problem until today. I always fold the streamer neatly in the pouch, but today I added a couple of rolls of crepe paper for an extra-cool effect, and re-positioned the streamer, right where the zipper could catch on it.

After my canopy opened, I tried to unzip the pouch, but it would not budge! The end of the streamer was totally tangled in the zipper. I tried for about 30 seconds as I drifted away from the wind line. Then I said "Fuck it, I'm landing my canopy, unadorned with a cool streamer, safely in the landing area."

(I hearby extend my virtual wrist to Twardo, King of the Exhibition Jumpers, to be slapped.)

You know, I got many compliments from my audience anyway. They like the accessories, but what really impresses them is landing gently in the landing area. That is what demo jumps are about.

I you are jumping alone, a "mid section" streamer pouch may be OK; but if jump with others, and you ever have to go into a hard spiral, such as you do when you have to gain vertical separation between canopies so you aren't landing at the same time in a small area, you will be in for a nasty surprise. If you spiral hard, the belly band location of the zipper bag streamers becomes dangerous. Here's what happens: The streamers will begin to spiral around your body, then around your risers, then spiral around your lines too. It happened to me and one of the 3 streamers actually went over the top of the canopy. I'd say there were about 5 spirals - all told.

I invented a leg streamer pouch because of the safety factor. You can spiral as aggressively as you want and they will never wrap around your body.

Belly location for streamers is a bad idea.

That is one reason I don't like zippers on demo bags. Add a flap under the zipper so when it is zipped, the streamer does not come in contact with the teeth of the zipper.

I have a streamer that is 210'x14" that is held in a belly bag. The bag is closed by fastex clips. The streamer has a small "horse collar" that I slip over my foot/ ankle and then deploy the streamer. I don't even feel it when I fly. The best part is if it ever gets entangled, the horse collar will just pull off my foot.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

dpreguy

Here's what happens: The streamers will begin to spiral around your body, then around your risers, then spiral around your lines too. It happened to me and one of the 3 streamers actually went over the top of the canopy. I'd say there were about 5 spirals - all told.

We really need to see the video!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

dpreguy

The streamers will begin to spiral around your body, ... Belly location for streamers is a bad idea.

Walt, I somewhat copied the Liberty Parachute Team belly streamer setup that I used once. The streamer is about my feet level with a weight.

Peek. Good design! Flies from your feet because of the leader line that let's it fly from a lower position. I've also jumped the Liberty streamers and imagined a better release system than their curved pins- yellow cutaway cable - long enough to never allow an accidental pull; or, in your case, a zipper, which is about as secure as you can get. Although I prefer a leg mount, your design that allows a foot level origin is just as good, and probably less of a design task. I'm guessing you didn't need anyone to tell you to put a strip of cloth or webbing under that zipper!

peek

***The streamers will begin to spiral around your body, ... Belly location for streamers is a bad idea.

Walt, I somewhat copied the Liberty Parachute Team belly streamer setup that I used once. The streamer is about my feet level with a weight.

I've jumped that same streamer. Nice system. The lanyard is long enough so you control it with you leg/foot like any other flag. I cork screwed it hard and had no problem what so ever with it trying to wrap around me.

edit, I see Walt beat me to it. I think the velcro cover of the pins on Liberty's bag worked fine keeping it shut. I am also woking on a leg mount for my long streamer that will also use the horse collar. For ease and speed if deployment, will be using the yellow lolon cable.

And I know Gary would add the flap under the zipper. At work, it is my job to "remind" people to do things. To the point they call me Captian Obvious. Hard habit to break.;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity