New York City Bans All Parachutes.

The New York City Council recently passed an ordinance prohibiting landing by parachute anywhere within the city. Likely in reaction to the Freedom Tower BASE jumps, the ordinance applies to any parachute landing, including those that descend from an aircraft for an exhibition jump with Federal Aviation Administration authorization. City officials have threatened to arrest anyone landing by parachute within the city.

USPA has been working with an exhibition team that had to cancel a jump that had been arranged and had an FAA authorization. The issue has been elevated to FAA Headquarters, since local jurisdictions cannot restrict airspace use to aeronautical activities overseen by the FAA.

:S
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

So, those little plastic army guys with parachutes are also banned?!?!

And if you own private property and have authorized jumpers to land on it, how can the council have any authority to prohibit jumpers?

The demo team should send a not-so-nice letter from an attorney threatening restraint of trade and lack of authority and demand compensation.

Jump more, post less!

Figures.....

It's The Peoples Republic of New York, where all politicians above the law and the Constitution of the Free Union is null and void. As soon as they figure out a way to collect a tax on each parachute landing, it will be legal again, provided of course that you pay your annual fees for the NYC parachuting permit.

Bad news for the next military pilot who needs to punch out of a crippled combat a/c over the city.:|

BTW I got the email from USPA, but googling turned up nothing.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi 3331,

The New York City Council recently passed an ordinance prohibiting landing by parachute anywhere within the city.

Back in the 60's, some local jumpers approached the City of Portland, OR about getting permission to make a demo jump into city limits. The city said wait until we consider this.

So three guys went ahead & made a bandit demo jump into the city. One of them, Ted Mayfield, hit a distribution powerline and was lucky not to have been killed. It took out a large swath of power to a lot of city residents. Also, the electrical blast caused Ted to have his French Paraboot completely explode and he came very close to losing that foot.

As you would expect, the city then banned all jumps into the city limits.

Jerry Baumchen

The city flipped out over the Freedom Tower jump.

They can't understand the difference between BASE jumping and skydiving.

The USPA is on this in a big way, as is the demo team.

The ordinance allows pre approved military and emergency bail out skydives.

The New York City Council recently passed an ordinance prohibiting landing by parachute anywhere within the city. Likely in reaction to the Freedom Tower BASE jumps, the ordinance applies to any parachute landing, including those that descend from an aircraft for an exhibition jump with Federal Aviation Administration authorization. City officials have threatened to arrest anyone landing by parachute within the city.

USPA has been working with an exhibition team that had to cancel a jump that had been arranged and had an FAA authorization. The issue has been elevated to FAA Headquarters, since local jurisdictions cannot restrict airspace use to aeronautical activities overseen by the FAA.

:S

I think if I worked or lived in one of those high rises.. that I would just take the ticket if I had to escape a fire or some other catastrophy.

I have seen several companies who market an escape system.

emergency skyscraper parachute

gunver79

***I have seen several companies who market an escape system.

This does not look like a good idea. Selling what is essentially BASE gear to the uneducated public? Not a good idea at all. If they'd ban these, I'd say it's reasonable. But of course this is not what the ban is about...

Would you rather burn.. or make that leap like the waiter from the twin towers did or use one of those.... that I linked

Cities can and do regulate the use of private property. Zoning regulations decide what can be built. Vehicles are benned from parking in the grass. Tent sales in parking lots may not be allowed. And fireworks are often banned, even on your own property.

Private property excuse gets you nowhere. But as an example cities in my state cannot ban adult book stores. They can be regulated but we must allow them somewhere. The qualifying properties may not be for sale or in undesirable locations but there has to be some place for a legal business. I would expect that a blanket ban might not be sustained. Regulation, such as the FAA congested area regs are allowed but blanket bans usually not. Especially since the FAA has regulations in place and trespass laws apply to unauthorized jumps. But some one will have to spend the money to fight it because the politicians aren't likely to.change their minds. And political judges get to make unreasonable decisions all the time.

Do ballons get to land in NYC? If so there on shaky ground banning parachutes and not ballons.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Amazon

Would you rather burn.. or make that leap like the waiter from the twin towers did or use one of those.... that I linked

I remember this coming up at the time of 9/11 and being discussed in detail by some experienced BASE jumpers... the consensus at the time that I remember was that there was virtually zero chance of the system saving people due to air currents, packing requirements, landing areas etc etc.

In theory I have no problem with the concept, after all a cat-in-hells chance is better than no chance at all.

That said, the biggest issue I have is that none of the people selling these solutions sate just how remote a chance it is, or at least they didn't last time I looked. The marketing was capitalizing on the fear of 9-11 and touting an expensive and unreliable system to gullible punters.

I think if I worked or lived in one of those high rises.. that I would just take the ticket if I had to escape a fire or some other catastrophy.

Those companies are scummy profiteers.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

Those companies are scummy profiteers.

Perhaps if their CEO's demonstrated them personally. I am a big fan of "dogfooding" any product you wish to sell.;)

Word. The most likely scenario is Mr. Jonny Paranoia buys this thing and throws it in his closet. He eventually forgets about it and several years down the road, without ever having been serviced or re packed, it ends up at a yard sale. Then little Jonny Stuntman and his friends buy it, knowing nothing about the sport, and decide to jump off something for a YouTube video. They clean little Jonny off the street with a squeegee, and the skydiving community suffers the consequences. More negativity, more restrictions, more BS.

councilman24

Cities can and do regulate the use of private property. Zoning regulations decide what can be built. Vehicles are benned from parking in the grass. Tent sales in parking lots may not be allowed. And fireworks are often banned, even on your own property.

Private property excuse gets you nowhere. But as an example cities in my state cannot ban adult book stores. They can be regulated but we must allow them somewhere. The qualifying properties may not be for sale or in undesirable locations but there has to be some place for a legal business. I would expect that a blanket ban might not be sustained. Regulation, such as the FAA congested area regs are allowed but blanket bans usually not. Especially since the FAA has regulations in place and trespass laws apply to unauthorized jumps. But some one will have to spend the money to fight it because the politicians aren't likely to.change their minds. And political judges get to make unreasonable decisions all the time.

Do ballons get to land in NYC? If so there on shaky ground banning parachutes and not ballons.

They can regulate the use of the property within a defined scope. Commercial, residential, etc. and the type of businesses. But the use of property for recreation by a private party when a Federal agency already has jurisdiction is very shaky.

The FAA should weigh in on this as it would be a way for other cities and counties to essentially ban skydiving at an airport without losing federal funding. "We don't ban skydiving, just the landing or parachutes in our county."

I don't see this having a huge impact on large numbers of jumpers, except those that wanted to do some demo within the city limits, but the precedent it sets is very dangerous.

Jump more, post less!