MelodyDelpino

Skydiving at Burning Man

mxk

Relevant discussion and video: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyDiving/comments/3kl4lj/skydiving_at_burning_man_what_a_blast/

There's word that we may be raising the jump limit or limiting it to C and up licenses because of the FAA issues.

To skydive into the playa it's now C license "or equivalent" (200 jumps) with some additional currency requirement (something like 50 or 100 jumps in the last year) that I forget because this is a "demo jump".

But they'll let you skydive into the airport with 100 jumps.

mxk

Relevant discussion and video: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyDiving/comments/3kl4lj/skydiving_at_burning_man_what_a_blast/

There's word that we may be raising the jump limit or limiting it to C and up licenses because of the FAA issues.

man that shit is just outright gear abuse[:/]
:S
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

***Relevant discussion and video: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyDiving/comments/3kl4lj/skydiving_at_burning_man_what_a_blast/

man that shit is just outright gear abuse[:/]
:S

Yes and no. If you are thinking of skydiving at BM it is absolutely worth it to talk to one of the veterans that have done it several years in a row about minimizing damage to gear and post-BM gear maintenance.

The damage is mostly avoidable and reversible with effort.

Having seen a bunch of the rigs that come back from BM, I would not suggest anyone jump their nice pretty rig there. If one has the option, I'd say use only gutter gear. Or borrow your buddies rig. :o My rigger showed me some of the stuff he has had to wash/repack and the playa dust was everywhere, into every nook and cranny.

Consider if you were looking to buy gear, wouldn't you want the stuff "only landed on grass and packed inside" versus landing in a "huge pile of super fine dust and packed in that same huge pile of dust"? Hmmm, how "crispy" would your new canopy be after BM? Bet it will pack more easily.;)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

That's a very reasonable approach. But last year when my own gear was covered in shit I came across a guy with a brand new infinity that still looked brand new in spite of three jumps. So I asked him for some tips.

Containers do much better if you keep the exposure of them down. Try not to jump in the dust storms, and once you land bring two big black garbage bags with you - one for your canopy and one for your container. If there isn't dust getting kicked up you might get lazy and just walk the canopy back to camp without covering it and it'll probably be fine.

Don't take the container out of the garbage bag when you pack it. Most of that dust actually gets into the container from wherever it touches the ground. For me that was always the packing area.

Your canopy will take on dust, and that is unavoidable. But it airs out in a few jumps, and the remaining coat can be washed off if it bothers you so much. It never bothered me, but ten jumps in the center cell got cleaned in the natural process of packing.

Most people seem to give zero f**ks about their equipment though, and do whatever.