brenthutch

Beto O’Rourke, champion of the second amendment

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/593735-orourke-on-past-remarks-about-taking-away-guns-im-not-interested-in-taking

“Texas Democratic gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke on Tuesday said that he has no “interest in taking” assault weapons from gun owners”

Roll call!  Who still supports Beto?

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/593735-orourke-on-past-remarks-about-taking-away-guns-im-not-interested-in-taking

“Texas Democratic gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke on Tuesday said that he has no “interest in taking” assault weapons from gun owners”

I'd rather roll bugs onto their backs than play your latest games.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, brenthutch said:

It seems O'Rourke has figured out how to pander to a different voter base.

Do I 'believe' him?  I don't think 'belief' is part of the equation.

Since an accepted definition of 'assault rifle' is a select fire version firing a reduced power cartridge, there really aren't that many to be confiscated.  Most of the StG44s and the like in circulation are collector's items and don't see a lot of use.  The ammo's expensive and spare parts are a bear to find.

I suspect he's referring to 'military style' autoloading long guns with detachable magazines, such as AR-15 and AK variants.  From a hunting standpoint, about the only thing for which either seems well suited is feral pigs.  In large parts of the country they are a real problem, and fast, accurate follow up shots can make a big difference.

My biggest objection to high capacity rifles is with Rambo wannabes in law enforcement.  At train stations I have seen cops on patrol with the full G.I. Joe outfit with holsters and magazines in anticipation of terrorists starting a shooting war.  While I'm cool with jihadi dipshits getting the opportunity to enter Paradise forthwith, I'm not crazy about my family being caught in the crossfire due to zeal on either side.

I have fired an awful lot of ammunition on full auto, mostly 7.62x51 & .50 BMG, and stick to BB guns anymore due to the cost of ammo if nothing else.

The problem with 'gun violence' is not the guns so much as the people driving them.  The most heavily armed groups of people amongst whom I've lived have been entirely devoid of armed conflict.  Other groups are given to mayhem with access to pointy objects.

Given my choice, I'll take armed to the teeth and responsible over disarmed and out of control anytime.

BSBD,

Winsor