MT_Reg_Dir

VOTE RAY LALLO For USPA Mountain Region Director

During my first term as your Mountain Regional Director, I have had a fulfilling experience, as I supported exciting changes as well as standing traditions. With your input and backing throughout the last 3 years, I was honored to represent as a voting member of the Safety & Training Committee and as the USPA Secretary.

I found that my previous experience in the corporate world and on boards helped me perform my duties in service to USPA members. Some of the items in my focus on the National level have been increasing efficiency, using technological resources, and simplifying materials and communication for the USPA member. In addition, I made it a top priority to respond quickly to Awards, Ratings and Wavier paperwork, to reach out to members in our region for feedback, and to ensure safety issues were handled with solid fairness yet compassion.

It would be my honor and pleasure to continue to serve as your Mountain Regional Director. If given that responsibility, I look forward to continuing being available to members and championing projects in progress to their completion. Please feel free to email me at:

[email protected]

visit my website: www.uspamountainregion.org and

Facebook Page: facebook.com/raylallo.mountainregion

I will be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Some of the exciting changes are in the realm of Safety and Training, Competition and Technology. The Safety & Training Committee and Board have embraced some very forward thinking ideas on training methods for AFF, Tandem Progression and the use of Tunnel Training.

We are continuing to develop a better reporting system for Non-Fatal incidents that will help educate the membership.

I feel regulation is important but I would like to see better and more education in all aspects of the Association. The use of Technolgy will better facilitate getting information out to the membership in near real time. We are in the process of employing systems to do this.

As far as traditions are concerned, I feel we need to continue to make sure members are recognized for their achievements and service to the sport and of course making sure the members in my region are supported with regards to awards, wings and other milestones. Making sure the paperwork is processed in a timely manner is a very important task of a regional director.

Hi Ray,

We are continuing to develop a better reporting system for Non-Fatal incidents that will help educate the membership.

This is not to argue with you; it is only a question.

What good will 'a better reporting system' do when even a GM dz has no req'ment to report these?

Your thoughts?

Jerry Baumchen
50-yr USPA member, but no more

Jerry,
Sorry, I should have gone into more detail. Currently we only have 1 reporting system called "Incident Report" as you know. I feel that if someone wants to report something that happened to them and the outcome was uneventful and they would like to share with the membership they have no other means but the "Incident Report" and I feel people are reluctant to fill it out because of possible retaliation.

Also, if we have a safe reporting system that we can sanitize and post somewhere for educational purposes I feel would be a great benefit to the entire membership and our sport.

Ray, I'm a member in your region.
One angle of this election year is that there are three people employed or operating Eloy running for the board; Larry Hill, Shawn Hill, and Mike McGowan.

Why do you deserve my vote vs the three power hitters from the most active dropzone in the United States? Do you feel there is a benefit or should there be concern for a dropzone to potentially have two representatives on the board?

johnhking1

Something like a "No shit there I was" form.

Pilots, mechanics, controllers, et al, have access to NASA's ASRS (Aviation Safety Reporting System) program. USPA could adapt this reporting system to benefit the skydiving community.

A few critical points from the ASRS website:

"ASRS captures confidential reports, analyzes the resulting aviation safety data, and disseminates vital information to the aviation community."

"Based on information obtained from this program, the FAA will take corrective action as necessary to remedy defects or deficiencies in the NAS. The reports may also provide data for improving the current system and planning for a future system."

Re: immunity:
"Regulatory Restrictions. Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 91, § 91.25 PROHIBITS the use of any reports submitted to NASA under the ASRS (or information derived therefrom) in any disciplinary action, except information concerning CRIMINAL OFFENSES OR ACCIDENTS that are covered under paragraphs 7a(1) and 7a(2)." (CAPS are mine; can't access italics on this device.)

So far, FAA has honored their promise of immunity from legal/certificate action as long as the event described in the report can't be categorized as an intentional violation of the FAR's (pilots ARE allowed to deviate from the rules to the extent necessary to meet the demands of an emergency), deviations occurring during the conduct of criminal activity, and events resulting in accidents meeting the legal definition referred to in the paragraphs cited above.

The report's identification strip is removed upon arrival at NASA's facility. The submitter receives that identification strip via return mail, and has a window of three years during which they can invoke the immunity provision should the FAA somehow independently find grounds to pursue certificate action. IIRC, the report must have been submitted to NASA within ten days of the reported event.

I've filed numerous ASRS reports as a result of equipment failures, operational issues (eg., taxiway signs which construction crews turned to point the wrong way during noreaster conditions), and aircraft emergencies during which it was necessary to violate one or more FARs. The FAA never came back to me over any of these issues, but I did receive one valuable followup call from NASA requesting further information when the volume of landing gear system failures reported for the C-177RG prompted them to investigate the situation in hope of finding a cure for problems with the hydraulic pumps, switches and gear warning system.

(I hope this info is appropriate to the current thread.)

Hi Ray, I am an S&TA in your region, You said you were going to come to our DZ, (the largest turbine DZ in Utah ) Never seen you. You are hard to get a hold of, you don't answer emails.

You are on the safety and training comitee and you have a AFFI/IE who is a convicted Pedophile and sex offender and nobody has done anything about that.

Now tell me why I should vote for you?
Onward and Upward!

SStewart

Hi Ray, I am an S&TA in your region, You said you were going to come to our DZ, (the largest turbine DZ in Utah ) Never seen you. You are hard to get a hold of, you don't answer emails.

You are on the safety and training comitee and you have a AFFI/IE who is a convicted Pedophile and sex offender and nobody has done anything about that.

Now tell me why I should vote for you?

Sir,

I have to call BS on the "Hard to get a hold of you and I don't answer my emails"

The average turn around time for ANY paperwork, emails or issues is about 1 to 2 days. Please feel free to reach out to other S&TA's or members in our Region I'm sure you'll will get a different answer. That being said please feel free to call me and talk in length. I would love to give you my perspective on what the landscape looks like if certain individuals get elected to the Board.

As far as travelling to your DZ. I was there and will be out again (Was not able to jump due to weather). My first year I traveled the Region and last year was a very busy year with certain DZ's in Utah, AZ and Colorado. Again, please call me I would like very much to chat with you. In fact, You will see me next month or so because we (Board) have finally approved a S&TA Training Module that you will be required to complete.

Why vote for me?

1) The only interest I have is the welfare of the Region. I don't work for a manufacturer or operate a DZ and for the last 3 years I have represented the Region's interest as they wanted.

2) I have championed and completed projects for the Region and USPA to make our sport more progressive and safer.

3) I also have handled disciplinary issues VERY fair and balanced.

As far as the issue you presented again, please feel free to call and I will be more than happy to talk with you about it. I can say reach out to other board members (Jay Stokes) and they will be able to give you more on my position and feelings about that situation. I'm reluctant to discuss it here.

Let me ask you a few questions. "Do you feel that if the Hills and McGowen are elected to the board the entire region will be well served?"

"If so, why"

"Should so much influence lay with 2 of the 3 individuals that are not current jumpers in the sport and all 3 are grounded at one of the busiest DZ's in the Country?"

I personally would want my Board members to be current skydivers and in touch with the vibe around our region and the country.

I am your Regional Director and you can call me anytime to discuss ANYTHING!

WV177RG

***Something like a "No shit there I was" form.

Pilots, mechanics, controllers, et al, have access to NASA's ASRS (Aviation Safety Reporting System) program. USPA could adapt this reporting system to benefit the skydiving community.

A few critical points from the ASRS website:

"ASRS captures confidential reports, analyzes the resulting aviation safety data, and disseminates vital information to the aviation community."

"Based on information obtained from this program, the FAA will take corrective action as necessary to remedy defects or deficiencies in the NAS. The reports may also provide data for improving the current system and planning for a future system."

Re: immunity:
"Regulatory Restrictions. Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 91, § 91.25 PROHIBITS the use of any reports submitted to NASA under the ASRS (or information derived therefrom) in any disciplinary action, except information concerning CRIMINAL OFFENSES OR ACCIDENTS that are covered under paragraphs 7a(1) and 7a(2)." (CAPS are mine; can't access italics on this device.)

So far, FAA has honored their promise of immunity from legal/certificate action as long as the event described in the report can't be categorized as an intentional violation of the FAR's (pilots ARE allowed to deviate from the rules to the extent necessary to meet the demands of an emergency), deviations occurring during the conduct of criminal activity, and events resulting in accidents meeting the legal definition referred to in the paragraphs cited above.

The report's identification strip is removed upon arrival at NASA's facility. The submitter receives that identification strip via return mail, and has a window of three years during which they can invoke the immunity provision should the FAA somehow independently find grounds to pursue certificate action. IIRC, the report must have been submitted to NASA within ten days of the reported event.

I've filed numerous ASRS reports as a result of equipment failures, operational issues (eg., taxiway signs which construction crews turned to point the wrong way during noreaster conditions), and aircraft emergencies during which it was necessary to violate one or more FARs. The FAA never came back to me over any of these issues, but I did receive one valuable followup call from NASA requesting further information when the volume of landing gear system failures reported for the C-177RG prompted them to investigate the situation in hope of finding a cure for problems with the hydraulic pumps, switches and gear warning system.

(I hope this info is appropriate to the current thread.)

This thread is fine sir. I would very much like to see USPA adopt a process like what we have at the Airline that I fly for. We employ an ASAP reporting system (It is also part of the FAA SMS System). The process I'm working on can not mirror exactly the ASAP system but we can build a process to fit USPA.

The process I'm working on would employ ZERO jeopardy and be used only for educational purposes.

DSE

Ray, I'm a member in your region.
One angle of this election year is that there are three people employed or operating Eloy running for the board; Larry Hill, Shawn Hill, and Mike McGowan.

Why do you deserve my vote vs the three power hitters from the most active dropzone in the United States? Do you feel there is a benefit or should there be concern for a dropzone to potentially have two representatives on the board?

Spot,

Members ask and should ask, "Why do you want to be on the USPA Board of Directors?" My profession allows me time and opportunity to travel and enjoy skydiving and training instructors. I do not earn my living by skydiving or teaching; I am not associated with nor do I work for a manufacturer and I do not own or operate a dropzone. While I believe doing so may not exclude someone from serving on the board, I feel a balance of power is essential, and voting power on the board should not come from an alignment of multiple members from the same dropzone. I am free to enjoy my passion without the financial tie, which puts me in a clear, unbiased position to truly represent members of my region. Also let me add that I am a current and very active AFF/IE and CE. This is important because I can relate to Safety issues and changing trends in the realm of training. I also am a very active fun jumper and Organizer. As you know personally I embrace different disciplines like WINGSUIT :) (Thanks for the great instruction and flight :). I feel very strongly that a director should be an active skydiver....It's what we do! How can he/she relate if they are not?

More to follow Mr. Spot :)