mik

People who have paid for ALL of their jumps

DougH

Maybe I am being my typical dick self, but I don't know why it even matters.]

It might matter to most people's bank accounts. Feel free to start another poll that is of interest to yourself if you don;t like ths one:P

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

~400 and ~4 years in the sport (with some down time).

That would put the total @ $9,600. The DZs I jump at all charge $24 for full altitude, which are the vast majority of mine.

Add $1,100 for AFF and about $6,000 on gear (almost all bought used), total cost comes out to ~$16,700; which comes out to ~$42 per jump (assuming I don't recoup any gear value).

Some of my down time was due to injury, which cost me about $7,000 out of pocket, so if you added that in it would be about $59 per jump.

Skydivin ain't cheap if you aren't getting paid to do it. :P

Just in my personal observation most non-paid fun jumpers get between 50 and 200 per year (limited by time, interest/effort, and money depending on who it is). The most I've seen unpaid in a year was 600, but he mentioned that he couldn't repeat that due to finances.

mik

***Maybe I am being my typical dick self, but I don't know why it even matters.]

It might matter to most people's bank accounts. Feel free to start another poll that is of interest to yourself if you don;t like ths one:P

That is all relative. What is more impressive. 75 self paid for the ramen eating packet who has pitched a tent in the ghetto, or 400 self paid for the trust fund baby.

Neither of them have an impact on my back account!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

******Maybe I am being my typical dick self, but I don't know why it even matters.]

That is all relative. What is more impressive. 75 self paid for the ramen eating packet who has pitched a tent in the ghetto, or 400 self paid for the trust fund baby.

Neither of them have an impact on my back account!

Indeed, everyone's jumping experience is different and no one else's affects yours, but getting a feel for a general trend is somewhat interesting. The posts so far and the poll are pretty consistent with my observations, 100% fun jumpers rarely have more than 1,000 and virtually everyone with more than 2,000 has been paid (or at least they were free) for a large portion of them. Probably partly due to finances and the generally short "skydiving career" of most fun jumpers and partly due to interest/effort. e.g. pounding out 10 jumps in a day stops being fun, but if you are making money off of them then you're more inclined to jump as much as you can. Speaking in broad generalities of course.

I've been rigging for ~9 years, very active. Business comes in spurts, for example I had 17 rigs in queue in early July, then had 4 weeks lull. All my rigging money goes into jumping and more sewing machines. It's about a break even deal.
=========Shaun ==========

I've paid for nearly 800 jumps, up until 500ish they were almost all 13 bucks at lodi. No more ticket blocks so now they're 15. So if they were all at lodi, (they werent but probably not much more then 100 elsewhere) that comes to about 11,000. Can't imagine having paid 30 or 40 bucks a jump!

I have almost 7500 jumps.

Most of them I have paid for

Lots of them are at Nationals and World Meets where the cost of getting there and the cost of jumping are both steep.

I try not to think about how much I have spent over the almost 30 years I have been jumping..... I would rather think of all the great people, great times, and laughs we had.

Instead of the bitchin' vacation home I could have.

Jump more, post less!

Anachronist

Skydivin ain't cheap if you aren't getting paid to do it. :P

It ain't cheap if you're getting paid to do it either. ;)

It just ain't cheap. :)
1300 ish jumps
No ratings.
Other than a jump where helped a person search for a cutaway canopy first, have never had a paid slot. Have won some jumps in raffles and a few all you can jumps weekends, but probably paid for more jumps for others (non instructional).

Most expensive jumps were:
Sabre2 135 cutaway over Sebastian brush never recovered. :(
Blue Hole jump/scuba in Belize B|
Solo crew (scared my AAD) :(
B-17 over Destin, FL B|
30K jump with bailout oxygen (had an 8 way round by 23K) B|
Unintentional ocean landing after overshooting a tight landing area in Marathon Key, Florida. FAA was watching. :(

Don't want to add up all I've spent on skydiving. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Dantes

That's a pretty rad sky resume. The two things that caught my eye were the Belize jump and the HALO jump.

How were they???

Did you do the HALO jump with those guys in Tennessee?

Belize was my favorite. They now even do expensive tandems. :)http://www.skydivebelize.com/

Did the Halo at West Tenessee Skydivers.
http://www.halojumper.com/
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

1450ish jumps, paid for nearly* all of them as well as all my gear and all of my tunnel time. Plus team coaching and other continuing education like canopy courses. Hell no, I'm not going to do the math!

*I probably have 50ish jumps that I haven't paid for - jumps where I was the organizer, some coach jumps, a couple free loads at boogies, and a couple times where I won a free jump tickets in a raffle.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just over 1500, and I paid for all of them myself. Too depressing to calculate what that translates to in cash, so I refuse to do itB|. Plus there's all the other costs like tunnel coaching, travelling to boogies and Nationals, gear, etc. so the calculation would probably be quite tricky.

I suppose I could have spent it on more "sensible" investments, but as most folks here have pointed out, at the end of the day it's just money, and the fun and friendships I've had over the years is easily worth what ever the grand total turns out to be:).

I started a year ago with a tandem in Skydive Orange VA. I am at 55 skydives and just bought a complete new rig. With AFF, tunnel, gear and travel costs I have spend 16,000 USD[:/]

The only skydive I didn't pay was my tandem. I got it for my 40th birthday. I was hooked. Hence it was the most expensive one:P

DrTooth

I started a year ago with a tandem in Skydive Orange VA. I am at 55 skydives and just bought a complete new rig. With AFF, tunnel, gear and travel costs I have spend 16,000 USD[:/]

The only skydive I didn't pay was my tandem. I got it for my 40th birthday. I was hooked. Hence it was the most expensive one:P

Stop adding it up. ;)

My wife and I both have close to 600 jumps and at that price we've spent about $30,000 on jumps.... Plus about 2500$ on tunnel... And well over $15,000 on gear.... Sewing machines come to about $4500... So not including gas and all that shit, we've spent about $52,000 on skydiving in 3 years.... Which is why we still rent and don't own a house... Or have food in the fridge.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

When I first got into this sport, I picked up a second job to help pay for it. I always had the goal to be a tandem instructor. By the time I got 3 years & 500 skydives and my tandem rating I had spent around $25000.00, that includes 2 rigs, 3 suites, camera gear & a wingsuit
Kirk
He's dead Jim