baronn

Bridge Day 2015

Just a note on what is going on at this event this year. As some of you may have heard, The person who has been in charge of organizing BD for the last decade has decided to opt out this after the RIDICULOUS actions of the BD commission and local LEO's. If anyone is planning to attend, you may want to do a bit of research into the current organizers background.
http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2982046;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
has a discussion on the subject. Worth a look before making the trip.

virgin-burner

fuck it, just dont go! there's always the OTHER bridge day! ;)

HURT them where it does, and that's in their wallets!

Oh yes. If they want to make it difficult, then they can eat shit. Nobody comes and spends money in town. See how they like that.

Dublin, GA learned that the hard way when the St. Patrick's Boogie organizer more or less said screw you and moved the event to Fitzgerald.

Thank you for posting this.

If you're considering going to Bridge Day 2015 to make your first BASE jump I highly suggest you look into a proper course at the Perrine instead. Apex BASE, Snake River BASE, and ID BASE (in no particular order) - all are far superior to what you'll experience and learn at BD2015. Plus, you'll get 3-4 days of instruction with more jumps, different kinds of jumps, and way more fun.

This town and this event has mistreated our community and the vast majority of us are voting with our dollars to stop supporting them, at least until they make some changes.
Apex BASE

Wow!!! I knew there was a lot going on but damn.

The organizer deleting all of his posts says a lot to me. If the posts about him celebrating a jumpers death and sending messages to a widow are true then he is a complete douche bag.

I had thought about going this year but decided early on when Jason pulled out that I would not.

Besides, I got busy planning Fitz in the Fall.

baronn

you may want to do a bit of research into the current organizers background.
http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2982046;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
has a discussion on the subject. Worth a look before making the trip.

That discussion does not help. I followed this drama a little bit, and it appears to me to have changed from a "boycott because of our rights, 4th amendment / privacy / etc" or a "boycott because the organizer is an asshole".

I can't tell from that thread or any others I have read what is really going on.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

That wasn't my take on the discussion.

My take away was that Jason pulled out because of the fingerprint and general mistreatment problem, this was also the overall reason for the initial calls to boycott.

Then past employees of Jason's jumped up to fill the vacuum left by Jason's exit.

Next you move on to their motive, and claims about their character. More than a few people are claiming that the new organizer acted rather poorly after the death of a fellow base jumper, including harassing his widowed wife.

Not everything you read on the internet is true, but that sort of jives with the type of person that would use the issues over fingerprinting in to take over bridge day.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Disco.

Jason has a reputation for running quality events and ensuring that jumpers were treated with respect and their privacy protected.

When he felt that the town and organizers could no longer provide jumpers with a respectful environment he pulled out and the boycott was started.

The boycott was then undermined by someone with selfish motives. I cannot comment on his character, but there are many others who have been willing to chime in. He has been silent for the past couple of months on the subject. The rumors around this silence point to further deterioration in the relationship between jumpers and the event coordinators.

I, and every BASE jumper I have talked to, is opting not to support this new organizer or a planning committee which fails to treat it's "main attraction" with any respect.

I hope this thread will direct skydivers and hopeful BASE jumpers to go to Twin Falls where we are wanted, appreciated, and respected. BD2015 will be a shadow of what it's been in years past, at best.
Apex BASE