kmzamani

halfway down , halfway back in landing

are you asking for a study source for landings?  i read 'the canopy and it's pilot' by brian germain and loved it.  haven't had a chance to put it to practical use yet though.  good info.  i heard he has other training materials but haven't used any of them.

2 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

are you asking for a study source for landings?  i read 'the canopy and it's pilot' by brian germain and loved it.  haven't had a chance to put it to practical use yet though.  good info.  i heard he has other training materials but haven't used any of them.

I am asking for Halfway down & Halfway back techniuqe on landing process .

Never heard of that method. Anyone want to clarify?

Of course, one does generally want to at some point move back to the DZ after opening, so that one ends up at the pattern entry area by pattern altitude. So if your spot wasn't screwed up to begin with, if you've descended half way to pattern altitude from your opening, you may want to be half way back to the pattern area. Nothing mandatory but sort of a common sense, "Gee I should start getting back towards the DZ a little more as I descend."

Is that the idea? 

3 hours ago, kmzamani said:

I am asking for Halfway down & Halfway back techniuqe on landing process .

I've never heard of it and not sure what purpose it serves. It's possible to be "halfway down" and already over or near the landing area. Likewise, it's possible to be "halfway down" and not "halfway back" as might be the case when jumping in higher winds.

11 minutes ago, chuckakers said:

I've never heard of it and not sure what purpose it serves. It's possible to be "halfway down" and already over or near the landing area. Likewise, it's possible to be "halfway down" and not "halfway back" as might be the case when jumping in higher winds.

it is in IRM ( page 26 ) and also in SIM .

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 7.45.30 PM.png

2 hours ago, kmzamani said:

it is in IRM ( page 26 ) and also in SIM .

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 7.45.30 PM.png

That is essentially a visual exercise to gauge proximity. If you are halfway to the ground (from your opening altitude) and not at least halfway back to the landing area (horizontally from your deployment point) the suggestion is to head that way (stated "steer downwind") and look for an alternate landing area in case you don't make it.

• Like 2

This is really basic stuff that should be covered in any FJC. A simple method to avoid  getting too low before picking an alternate landing area in case of a bad spot.

Example; pattern entry is at 1000’ and every student should know approximately where the planned pattern entry point is. Under canopy at 4000’, look down and figure out your position, look at pattern entry point and pick a spot about 1/2 way between.
4000-1000=3000/2=1500’. So, at 2500’, if not at or well past the 1/2 point, pick out an alternate landing.

• Like 3