jezlevett

Smart Helmet

The last new helmet that "hit" the market didn't exactly go over well. This looks like a decent product but the product video reeks or those crappy late night tv marketing ads. Having problems losing your stuff, is it to hard to operate? Buy product X! Seriously though it just looks like you are incompetent and irresponsible. Your market is going to be really really small.

jezlevett

Right now they are USD $649 if bought individually and they are as sold as low as USD $529 if you buy a ten pack. That is only through Kickstarter. The Helmet is going to be sold at retail for USD$799 later on.

800 bucks? You're off your rocker.

hillson

***Right now they are USD $649 if bought individually and they are as sold as low as USD $529 if you buy a ten pack. That is only through Kickstarter. The Helmet is going to be sold at retail for USD$799 later on.

800 bucks? You're off your rocker.

Given what jumpers are willing to pay for stuff, maybe not.

https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/vertical-suits-viper-suit
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Perhaps...the gaudy numbers associated with some skydiving gear notwithstanding...in many respects one can make an attempt at explaining the value proposition. High end suits (vertical or comp flat), things like the FTP for dedicated video etc etc. Good products all, specific tools for specific jobs - plus a markup for label whores. :p

A skiing helmet that is also the single-most expensive "skydiving" helmet? Hell, it is even marketed as a snow sports thing. Please. It doesn't even have any of the redeeming features of jump gear half the cost but adds a few gimmicks. If it had an "integrated tracker" for when I cut it away during a deployment entanglement...then I'd buy it. HA!

But I agree...a fool and his money...etc etc.

Hi,

This product is made for snow sports right now!

While we designed our platform technology we kept in mind the 'needs' and requirements that other action sports like skydiving (that use helmets) required. Right now, we intend to branch out to these different areas later down the track.

We have identified a need for an intuitive first class smart helmet system that does it all and allows the user to be safely and fully immersed in their action sport without being distracted by the tech.

The technology we are using could be adapted to skydiving but first our Alpine helmet must be a success on Kickstarter in order for us to happen.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Give me a heads-up display that shows real time freefall speed and altitude.

You know those new-fangled cars that can parallel park automagically all by themselves? Yeah, well give me a helmet that will automatically dock me on a formation. You could have little winglets that would adjust themselves for fall rate and angle of attack, and then help you flare as you arrive at the dock. You could have a pipper dot that you would place on the guy you're docking on, like a bomber pilot pointing out his target, but aimed by mouth pressure. Just like a smart bomb headed for an ISIS hideout. That would be the cat's meow.

Socrates

Give me a heads-up display that shows real time freefall speed and altitude.

This.

Most of the features in your helmet will not work for skydiving use. It's open face, so you won't be able to neither hear nor speak into your radio. The GPS will likely have too low of resolution to be useful, and the snag-free camera, while a cool option, is not necessarily something I'd invest a fuckload of moneys into considering my Cookie G3 has a super awesome mouth-area camera mount that works just as well.

As far as GPS goes, there are better, more tailored GPS solutions out there on the market for skydiving (Flysight). Perhaps integrate with those?

If you want me to spend my limited moneys on a shmancy helmet instead of jump tickets:

* It has to be a closed face helmet, with a locking visor that's easy to pop open. Examine some existing skydiving helmets to see what I mean. Go to your local dropzone and have a skydiver give you a tour of their Cookie G3 and all the ways it's so super convenient. As a side note, skydivers slice through the air at 120+ mph. That's a LOT of noise. Your mic won't pick up anything but noise unless you shield it with a visor, and you won't hear shit without a visor blocking a lot of the noise.
* Integrate audible altimeter or pockets for an audible. If you cannot accomodate two audibles, your helmet is shit useless to skydivers.
* 10 Hz+ GPS + altimeter + programmable glide ratio vocalizer such as flightsight.
* HUD with altitude, horizontal speed, vertical speed and glide ratio.
* REAL impact protection. Not the bullshit we have in our helmets today. Make it skiing certified and we're talking.
* Keep the camera. It's a neat addition.

But unless you can deliver on all of those, I'm sticking to my G3 with grellfab mounted gopro, audible and flysight.

Good luck!

lyosha

***Give me a heads-up display that shows real time freefall speed and altitude.

This.

Most of the features in your helmet will not work for skydiving use. It's open face, so you won't be able to neither hear nor speak into your radio. The GPS will likely have too low of resolution to be useful, and the snag-free camera, while a cool option, is not necessarily something I'd invest a fuckload of moneys into considering my Cookie G3 has a super awesome mouth-area camera mount that works just as well.

As far as GPS goes, there are better, more tailored GPS solutions out there on the market for skydiving (Flysight). Perhaps integrate with those?

If you want me to spend my limited moneys on a shmancy helmet instead of jump tickets:

* It has to be a closed face helmet, with a locking visor that's easy to pop open. Examine some existing skydiving helmets to see what I mean. Go to your local dropzone and have a skydiver give you a tour of their Cookie G3 and all the ways it's so super convenient. As a side note, skydivers slice through the air at 120+ mph. That's a LOT of noise. Your mic won't pick up anything but noise unless you shield it with a visor, and you won't hear shit without a visor blocking a lot of the noise.
* Integrate audible altimeter or pockets for an audible. If you cannot accomodate two audibles, your helmet is shit useless to skydivers.
* 10 Hz+ GPS + altimeter + programmable glide ratio vocalizer such as flightsight.
* HUD with altitude, horizontal speed, vertical speed and glide ratio.
* REAL impact protection. Not the bullshit we have in our helmets today. Make it skiing certified and we're talking.
* Keep the camera. It's a neat addition.

But unless you can deliver on all of those, I'm sticking to my G3 with grellfab mounted gopro, audible and flysight.

Good luck!

And paint it Ironman colors and you're bitchin! B|