potatoman

Life lessons learned from this sport

So, please let me know yours...

When I got divorced, it was a thing of "Cutaway" before it's too late...and yes, there is a reserve.

Decision making/risk calculation in an instant. Wonder how many people can successfully do that, specially when driving bike/car.

You have one landing, get your approach right. There ain't no second chance. Use that one every day, a good approach gets results quicker.

Plan your dive, plan your day. Dive your plan, live your plan.

Jump, pack. Don't wait till later, you will just be less willing to do so, same with tedious tasks, just do it already.

Gear checks. I stop and check if I have everything required before getting into my vehicle.

Safety first. Darn, my son even tells me that nowadays.

There is never not enough money to jump. I realized that if I want something, just get it. Somehow you will make a plan to get the cash, even if it is baked beans on toast for a month.

Dress for success. That jumpsuit does give you an edge. Same thing when going to work. You are much more respected/listened to when well dressed.

Your friends will die, or even you. Come to terms with it. It WILL happen, not just in the sport.

Pay first, then jump. better saving for something than paying it off.

Lastly....Stay calm, take a deep breath(before jumping), focus on what is at hand.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

This isn't a life lesson , but more of a career path. After Many years in the skydiving business, I cured myself of the delusion that I wanted to own a DZ again.

If you have a good DZO, show him or her your appreciation for what they do. It is their passion for the sport that keeps them going NOT profit.

I am not talking about the tandem mills, I'm talking about the ones that go out of their way to keep skydiving safe and fun for us.

I don't think GOOD DZO's get enough credit for what they do.

Sorry for the early thread drift.

Agreed. My club is awesome. The tandem profits goes back to the members to advance.;)

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

If you think something is foolproof, you are wrong. You just haven't met (or become) THAT fool yet.

Time is the one currency you can't get more, don't waste it. Also, don't let others waste it for you.

If you ever say, "what are the chances....?" the odds will instantly increase to 100%.

Gear wears out. It's never too early to fix something, but often too late.

Dirt dives are free.

Freebags aren't.

Jump more, post less!

Let's see..
-Always keep condoms handy.(I never go into battle without cover)
-If a specific VERY experienced skydiver takes herself off of loads due to wind, I do too!
-Boogies are awesome.
-Being a skydive chick is awesome, everyone makes me feel like one of the guys...but with boobs.

-A good PLF is valuable
-ALWAYS PRACTICE CUTAWAY ROUTINE
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

Jumpers all know how to fly a jump plane better than the pilot.

Everyone else gets hurt swooping, but not us.

Skyhooks and an AAD will save us from anything.

The DZO is THE only person allowed to empty the trash can on the packing mat.

Just because my reserve is a month out of date and my USPA expired two years ago is NO reason to forbid me from jumping. It's my right!

You don't lose your girlfriend, you just lose your turn.

The size of a canopy is inversely proportional to the size of an ego.

That stupid shit only happens to everyone else.

Wing suiters are the bane of a DZOs existence.

Send the hot tandem chic with the happily married instructor.

better dead than uncool

you're never too low for an awesome swoop

if in doubt, add 180° and evaluate again

If you're dumb, you gotta be tough

never date the packing bitch/your rigger

just because you have a dick and act like one doesn't mean you're not a pussy

what could possibly go wrong?!

ETA: Just because you have the keys and nobody is going to hinder you doesn't mean you should drive the DZO's offroad bike over the landing strip... during the night... foggy as hell...drunken and intoxicated... right into the drainage trench... breaking not only the damn bike but also inflating your balls to the size of grapefruits, requiring a midnight visit at the emergency room

The DZO is THE only person allowed to empty the trash can on the packing mat.

I'd really like to hear the story behind this :)
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Life is full of choices. But all choices have consequences. Choose carefully.

Know your emergency procedures and practice them on a regular basis. When you need them, you won't have time to think about it. You will have to react, react well, and react quickly.

Don't make judgements based on appearances. The best rigger, instructor, airplane pilot, canopy pilot, belly flier, freeflier and wingsuiter that I know certainly don't look the part. (lots of other "best at" people in real life too).

When (not if) you fuck up, own it. Learn from it, move forward and try not to repeat it. Trying to blame someone/something else doesn't work and everyone knows you are trying to avoid responsibility for your mistakes.

Don't take yourself too seriously. Don't forget to have fun.

The difference between looking at the world through a 1/4" piece of lexan as opposed to seeing it through the open door is immense. Don't just watch through a window. Get out there and do it.

You can do things you thought were impossible. But you aren't as good as you think you are. Trying to find the balance between the two is a challenge.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's just skydiving. Works for just about everything.
Think about what might happen when nothing else is happening. Then you might be ready when it does.
The sky is always there. Sometimes other things are more important.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)