2 2
brenthutch

Canada, what’s up?

6 hours ago, billvon said:

Canadian truckers are driving in circles because they are mad that they might have to wear a mask and that's JUST LIKE HITLER!

Are you saying it's 'just like Hitler', or are they?  Do you have a reliable source/quote for that? I thought they were protesting vaccine mandates.

1 hour ago, metalslug said:

Are you saying it's 'just like Hitler', or are they?  Do you have a reliable source/quote for that? I thought they were protesting vaccine mandates.

And masking mandates.  And shutdowns.  And evil doctors who won't give them Ivermectin.  And Fauci.  And they want FREEDOM.  Because Canada is like Nazi Germany, apparently.

From The Hub, a Canadian newspaper:

"Many protesters are making false and unreasonable comparisons between present-day Canada and the early days of Nazi Germany. Like most Canadians, I find these comparisons deeply offensive."

https://thehub.ca/2022-02-01/why-the-coverage-of-the-trucker-protest-should-worry-all-canadians/

But to your point, yes, there have been a bunch of swastikas in evidence at the protests as well.

"“They’re also seeing the images that we’re all seeing, of very right-wing extremist messages: the flags that display the swastika, Confederate flags, images of a prime minister being lynched,” Catherine McKenney, an Ottawa councilor, told the Globe and Mail. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/08/trucker-freedom-convoy-radicalization-global/

So I guess that protesters think Canada is like Nazi Germany - and some protesters think that's a good thing.

Statements recently made by Candice Bergen (Leader of the Opposition, CPC) as to; "...countries like Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Israel, the Czech Republic, the U.K., Spain and Denmark are all removing restrictions and mandates, and they are all countries that have a lower vaccine rate than Canada..."

I'm fairly sure the majority in this forum and apparently within Canada itself would not agree with removing restrictions and mandates there. I will further tentatively assume that either;  Ms Bergen's comments are factually incorrect  ..or..  Circumstances within Canada (such as healthcare limitations, geography, social factors) make it incomparable to those listed countries  ...or...  All those listed countries have made a grave error.

Which is it ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, billvon said:

Arson is now "legitimate political discourse" as long as the arsonists are right wingers, Qanon, Nazis or Proud Boys.

Well that is what the lefties called it when ANTIFA and BLM burned down cities, killed dozens and caused billions of dollars of damage.  Actually they called it “mostly peaceful protests”

On 2/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, metalslug said:

I will only take those "Hitler" accusations seriously when they start publishing statistics about how many communists, half-wits, homosexuals, Jews, Roma, Poles, Ukrainians, etc. have been slaughtered by the Trudeau gov't.

Since GoFundMe froze the funds for these idiots, they went to GiveSendGo.

I wasn't familiar with it, but it's a "Christian" site. It has funded such 'Christ like' groups as the proud boys, Qanon idiots, and the Jan 6 insurrection attempt prisoners.

In a not terribly surprising development, their site security wasn't very good and they got hacked.
Lots and lots of info on who donated money for the 'convoy'.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7wpax/freedom-convoy-givesendgo-donors-leaked?utm_source=reddit.com

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

When you start with a false assumption......

By that statement you're inferring that the majority within Canada and within this forum believe that the majority party in Canada have got it wrong?  ...that this forum and most Canadians support the 'freedom truckers' cause, but not necessarily their methods?  ..or was the 'false assumption' referring to your own ?

1 minute ago, metalslug said:

By that statement you're inferring that the majority within Canada and within this forum believe that the majority party in Canada have got it wrong?  ...that this forum and most Canadians support the 'freedom truckers' cause, but not necessarily their methods?  ..or was the 'false assumption' referring to your own ?

I am confused as well. But I'm fairly sure he will clarify soon enough.

6 minutes ago, metalslug said:

I think you will find that the majority of people agree with relaxing various COVID driven restrictions based on the current COVID reality. You will also find that the majority of people do not agree with the "Freedom Convoy".

Edited by SkyDekker

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

I think you will find that the majority of people agree with relaxing various COVID driven restrictions based on the current COVID reality. You will also find that the majority of people do not agree with the "Freedom Convoy".

That's positive news then, if assuming you're correct. If Canada immediately and sufficiently 'relaxes' various restrictions then the convoy problem goes away, correct?  ..and yet that's not obvious to Trudeau himself ?   Is the convoy unpopular because of their methods or because of their 'cause' ?

11 minutes ago, metalslug said:

That's positive news then, if assuming you're correct. If Canada immediately and sufficiently 'relaxes' various restrictions then the convoy problem goes away, correct?  ..and yet that's not obvious to Trudeau himself ?   Is the convoy unpopular because of their methods or because of their 'cause' ?

Combination of both really.

Trudeau has nothing to do with the far majority of the COVID measures in place since they relate to provincial jurisdiction. The convoy doesn't even speak for the majority of truckers, who happily continue to work.

Most provinces already had a timeline of relaxations in place. Many of those are under constant review, which has already caused some to be relaxed ahead of schedule.

The convoy won't go away though. It is fueled by right wing misinformation and funding. In a large part from outside of Canada.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, metalslug said:

If Canada immediately and sufficiently 'relaxes' various restrictions then the convoy problem goes away, correct?

The original complaint that truckers had and that began the convoy was the removal of the exemption that essential workers including cross border truckers had at the Canada/US border. That restriction goes both ways. Neither Canada nor the US will allow non-vaccinated aliens to cross the border as before. If an un-vaxxed Canadian shows up at the border in a truck they will be allowed in but will be required to do a 14 day quarantine. If an un-vaxxed Canadian shows up to enter the US they will not be allowed entry. Trudeau only controls the Canadian part of that equation.

The convoy and associated protests have become much more complicated and basically is an anti-government and especially anti-liberal government movement at it's core. I think of it as a deplorable plus libertarian plus anti-covid restrictions mashup of pissed off people.

Edited by gowlerk

11 hours ago, gowlerk said:

...The convoy and associated protests have become much more complicated and basically is an anti-government and especially anti-liberal government movement at it's core. I think of it as a deplorable plus libertarian plus anti-covid restrictions mashup of pissed off people.

^This.

The protesters are a combination of anti-vax, anti-'liberal', disgruntled racists and 'sovereign citizens' (yes, Canada has those idiots too).

To a large degree, they don't even know what they are protesting.

They're just 'mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore'.

You know, because they're a bunch of sensitive snowflakes, and can't handle real life in the current world.

12 hours ago, gowlerk said:

That restriction goes both ways. Neither Canada nor the US will allow non-vaccinated aliens to cross the border 

Not true.  The Biden administration has not only allowed millions of unvaccinated aliens to cross our southern border, he has dispersed them throughout our country. 

spacer.png

No it's not the corner of Brent's basement. But "Four protesters in Alberta have been charged with conspiracy to murder, police said, in relation to a plan to use violence if police officers tried to break up a blockade in Coutts,"

. Based upon this seizure the Canadian minister for safety justified the imposition of the previously unused 'Emergency Powers act". He stated that even the protestors in Ottawa were "terrorists" based upon this group from Alberta. From an interview yesterday when asked why the Liberal government had enacted this act.

Edited by Phil1111