2 2
brenthutch

Canada, what’s up?

On 2/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, SkyDekker said:

Which has nothing to do with using COVID quarantine to avoid Question Period, which was your assertion.

I was in Ottawa this past weekend, stayed at the Chateau Laurier to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday. Unfortunately this was planned before these protests were announced. Regardless, I saw it all first hand. I am not a Trudeau fan by any stretch, but he was correct in his statement based on what I witnessed being there.

Were you there?

Believe it or not the CBC televises most of his public statements. His speech pandered to his base.

My brother live sin Ottawa, a mere 2 or 3 kilometers from Parliament Hill. He said that trucker protests have not affected his way of life.

OTOH he did express sympathy with the "silent majority" of working-class truckers who are ignored by the Trudeau Liberal gov't. His political views are more conservative than mine.

15 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

OTOH he did express sympathy with the "silent majority" of working-class truckers 

That's me and the over 85% of my co-workers. We think that the protesters are basically just assholes. Unlike some people I know who think they are terrorists. That is a little over the top for me.

6 hours ago, riggerrob said:

My brother live sin Ottawa, a mere 2 or 3 kilometers from Parliament Hill. He said that trucker protests have not affected his way of life.

OTOH he did express sympathy with the "silent majority" of working-class truckers who are ignored by the Trudeau Liberal gov't. His political views are more conservative than mine.

I can see why some think Liberals ignore their opinions.In last years elections conservatives did win the popular vote. In a just released poll 68% said that their point has been made. While most feeling Trudeau had bungled the handling of the protests

The liberals have done little to heal divisions.Although they have spent to address every issue like a drunk sailor.

What has not been recognized is Liberal spending on programs that benefit the west. Like the trans-mountain pipeline which is now at $17 billion for completion. Its original cost was pegged at $7.4. C'est la vie, when you belong to a tribe you ignore the obvious.

spacer.png

Even the fascist parties support is up.

"Praise God" was the messaging on FOX and the US Christian right news sites as the fundraising passed $5 million US on the GiveSendGo site. Politicians from trump to Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene all jumped on the christian/right bandwagon.

Here is the new opportunity to export US tribalism to the world. Along with buckets of US cash to finance it all.

Thanks America!

49 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I hear that in the last 24 hours the protesters have been messing with the ambassador bridge. That’s not gonna go down very well.

I don't think "messing with" is very accurate.  They have closed the bridge in both directions for the past two days.  Commercial traffic has to divert all the way to Sarnia, at least until they decide to close that as well.  What is the plan?  To block commercial (and all other) traffic and starve the country into submission?  I am starting to think it's time to declare a national emergency and bring in the troops to clear these bozos out, airlift them to the North Pole, and park their trucks on the ice on Lake Huron for several months.

18 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

In last years elections conservatives did win the popular vote.

While on its face this is true, it is a bit misleading. When comparing the Conservative Party votes against Liberal Party votes, the Conservative party comes just ahead in popular vote. However if you compare "left vs right" you get nowhere near a popular vote win for the "right".

5 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

While on its face this is true, it is a bit misleading. When comparing the Conservative Party votes against Liberal Party votes, the Conservative party comes just ahead in popular vote. However if you compare "left vs right" you get nowhere near a popular vote win for the "right".

So the Conservative party is not on the “right”???

23 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I can see why some think Liberals ignore their opinions.In last years elections conservatives did win the popular vote. In a just released poll 68% said that their point has been made. While most feeling Trudeau had bungled the handling of the protests

The liberals have done little to heal divisions.Although they have spent to address every issue like a drunk sailor.

What has not been recognized is Liberal spending on programs that benefit the west. Like the trans-mountain pipeline which is now at $17 billion for completion. Its original cost was pegged at $7.4. C'est la vie, when you belong to a tribe you ignore the obvious.

spacer.png

Even the fascist parties support is up.

Pinball money. And now, back to hockey.

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

We are now winning at football. Just about have punched our ticket to the World Cup with our win over the USA.

Are you talking about the football where you don't actually use your hands, or the proper American football where feet are used for running - except for when they occasionally trip over the ball?

5 hours ago, winsor said:

Are you talking about the football where you don't actually use your hands, or the proper American football where feet are used for running - except for when they occasionally trip over the ball?

He's talking about 'football', where only one person on each team can use their hands to touch the ball.

Not Hand-Egg, where only two people on the team actually use their feet to touch the ball.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

He's talking about 'football', where only one person on each team can use their hands to touch the ball.

Not Hand-Egg, where only two people on the team actually use their feet to touch the ball.

Okay, some of these things are confusing, like Anheuser-Bush suing some posers for calling their beer "Budweiser."

The fact that it's brewed in Budweis, Czechia is a pretty weak excuse, so they settled out of court.  It seems they were given orders of magnitude more than years' worth of sales would generate, so you have to look for 'Czechvar' on the shelves these days.

5 hours ago, winsor said:

Well Windsor, that soon to be extinct game that Americans call football doesn’t have a World Cup. Because the world doesn’t care. We don’t like Bud either so very little lost.

58 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Well Windsor, that soon to be extinct game that Americans call football doesn’t have a World Cup. Because the world doesn’t care. We don’t like Bud either so very little lost.

No, they have what they call the 'world championship', which is rather presumptuous. Considering there's more than ONE country in the 'world'. (baseball does the same thing)

And I would say that American football (Hand-Egg) is a long way from extinction.

They've got some pretty big problems, mostly resulting from their own arrogance, bigotry and greed.
But it's far too popular, far too big and FAAAAAAAAAAR too profitable to go away.

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

They've got some pretty big problems, mostly resulting from their own arrogance, bigotry and greed.
But it's far too popular, far too big and FAAAAAAAAAAR too profitable to go away.

CTE will lead to a decline in the game in the fairly near future. Although “soon to be extinct” is admittedly hyperbole.

17 hours ago, brenthutch said:

So the Conservative party is not on the “right”???

uhhhh, yes they are. As is the PPC, but then on the left you have the Liberal Part, NDP and to some degree the Green Party.

I know math isn't your strong suit, but I am assuming some relatively basic addition shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Just now, SkyDekker said:

I know math isn't your strong suit, but I am assuming some relatively basic addition shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

It is hard for some Americans to understand a system that has more than two parties. Dividing by two is easier.

21 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It is hard for some Americans to understand a system that has more than two parties.

A football game has two teams.  There are two kinds of beer - Bud and Miller.  There are two kinds of music - country and western.  What more do you need?

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

...They've got some pretty big problems, mostly resulting from their own arrogance, bigotry and greed.

The problem with the NFL if you can call it a problem. Is that its just such a stupidly successful cash generating machine. This years playoffs could not have been scripted by Hollywood to be any better.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

The biggest problem with football is the lack of time outs for commercials.

Without commercials, how would you know that Anhauser Busch products are 'beer?'  They certainly are not in compliance with Reinheitsgebot.

I'll give to to hockey and to the NFL. At least their players don't drop as if they've been shot in the head by a 30-06. Every time an opposing player touches them. I've become a fan of women's and men's football(soccer). But it took some adjustment to see the acting that results in any contact with an opposing player. The efforts to draw yellow cards on opposing teams is shameful.Its a bit embarrassing to see a Canadian play/act that way. But when their winning.C'est la vie.

After watching US players adapt to the phony 'injuries" so well, so deftly. I also adapted and cheered Canadian actors as well.

On 2/8/2022 at 10:34 AM, gowlerk said:

I hear that in the last 24 hours the protesters have been messing with the ambassador bridge.

Funny contrast - 

Canadian truckers are driving in circles because they are mad that they might have to wear a mask and that's JUST LIKE HITLER!

Canadian women just beat Russia in ice hockey at the Olympics - while wearing KF94 masks.

Makes quite a comparison between the doers and the complainers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Without commercials, how would you know that Anhauser Busch products are 'beer?'  They certainly are not in compliance with Reinheitsgebot.

True.  But then again, almost no modern beer is (including most German beers.)