2 2
brenthutch

Canada, what’s up?

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Been called a lot of things, Joe . . .  

But you are, sort of, or so I sort of thought. I'm not saying you'd willingly whip the horse and drive the collection cart when the ban happens, not at all. I'm just pointing out that you're not part of the hold your breath until you turn purple crowd; you're all about talking it through. 

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

But you are, sort of, or so I sort of thought. I'm not saying you'd willingly whip the horse and drive the collection cart when the ban happens, not at all. I'm just pointing out that you're not part of the hold your breath until you turn purple crowd; you're all about talking it through. 

Apologies. I should have expanded my reply. I knew what you meant and was being a little whimsical. Appreciate the compliment about talking it through. Both sides have good points and at some point, when the US saw kids getting shot in their schools - well, we should be addressing the issue logically and not letting it happen over and over again. We can sacrifice some privileges while maintaining our rights. We have to. 

22 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Canada has gun nuts, anti-vaxxers, hard right yo-yo's, loads and loads of end of the road enclaves, and drunken ice fishing with hookers. Seems to me we need to be marketing their wonderland to some of our own unhappy campers and not our bird and bunny people. 

24 minutes ago, ryoder said:

At the end of that article, it mentions that two of the organizers were arrested.
One was Tamara Lich. Since all her bank accounts have been frozen, and she doesn't really have any assets, the idea of her husband being the 'surety' for her bail (requiring him to report any violations).

During the court hearing, the husband said he thought it was a peaceful protest and part of their First Amendment rights.
Really.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tamara-lich-bail-hearing-february-19-1.6358307

I wasn't aware that the American Constitution applied to Canadians in Canada.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

... and drunken ice fishing with hookers. Seems to me we need to be marketing their wonderland to some of our own unhappy campers and not our bird and bunny people. 

I thought the 'lake lizards' were in Ohio.

https://journalstar.com/news/article_71913e3d-bb5e-5a8a-9e71-c3814743f20a.html

14 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

....During the court hearing, the husband said he thought it was a peaceful protest and part of their First Amendment rights.
Really....
I wasn't aware that the American Constitution applied to Canadians in Canada....

You'd be surprised how many of the illiterate class in Canada believe that. They get FOX, they know the gun laws are different. But beyond that it gets fuzzy.

The names of donators to the cause has been made public and there is some pushback to the donators. About 1/2 of the money came from Canada and the rest from the US.

Something that these protests have done is better define the Alex Jones types. The hard core anti-establishment, anti-government foot soldiers. It has isolated the conservative opposition party further from the center of Canadian politics, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, winsor said:

Maybe, but they all talk funny, eh?

So do you.

I have traveled extensively in Central and South America (but not Brazil), and find the preferred term for a US person (other than "gringo") is "estadounidense", with some level of irritation that US persons consider only themselves to be Americans.  Maybe Wendy can tell us the appropriate term in Portuguese.

Gringo and Ianqui (yankee) are kind of like “polack;” as far as I know not really used any more. Americana always works, especially when combined with my blond hair and deteriorating Portuguese. Sometimes “americana dos Estados Unidos” to clarify. Or just “I’m from the US.”

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Are all those nations in the USA “sphere of influence “? (I realize your point was unrelated)

How many have we invaded and occupied?
How many have we supported insurrectionists against the government?
How many have we supported horribly oppressive governments of?

This is mostly a rhetorical question, but the answer is either "lots of them" or "most of them."

On 2/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

How many have we invaded and occupied?
How many have we supported insurrectionists against the government?
How many have we supported horribly oppressive governments of?

This is mostly a rhetorical question, but the answer is either "lots of them" or "most of them."

You know, you really don't have to feel guilty about being American or to fit in with the liberal crowd. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

You know, you really don't have to feel guilty about being American or to fit in with the liberal crowd. 

I have observed that you are very sensitive to criticism of you country. No one, and least of all I expects you or any other American to feel guilty. This "you are either with us or against us" business is bullshit. America has made plenty of errors and because of its size and power these errors have caused substantial harm to many. I have also noted that you often have no answer for this criticism except to accuse others of being anti-American. Many Americans can acknowledge faults and not feel insulted. Does that make them liberal? Is that what you think liberalism is? I've got news for you. America was founded on liberalism and is the world leader of liberalism. Hard for some to believe and even harder for some to stomach.

Edited by gowlerk

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

America was founded on liberalism and is the world leader of liberalism.

You are so wrong on this point.

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I have observed that you are very sensitive to criticism of you country. No one, and least of all I expects you or any other American to feel guilty.

Then stop criticizing every fookin thing. 

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I have not noted that you often have an answer for this criticism expect to accuse others of being anti-American

I don't even know what you're trying to say. 

!