enta

With 200 Jumps loading 1,46 (Sabre 2 135)

jbscout2002

35 years ago, if you wanted more speed, you just cut a couple small holes in your T-10 :P

Nope... I had already had hundreds of round jumps and retired the cheapos and the Papillion and gone to a Parafoil and Strato Star and Strato Cloud.

To enta....

I am old and decrepit but I still have original equipment landing gear. I am not one of the cool kids with all those cool titanium after-market parts that so many of them have in their landing gear.

Did I mention I am allergic to pain????

You are young and indestructible but the planet is harder and more indestructible than you are. IF you survive to old age I will guarantee you will think about all the stupid shit you did while you were young every morning you wake up and have to roll out of bed.

^^^ What She said. Look its your life, your decision.to a point. These guys have shared all the stories and there are countless here on Dizzy EXACTLY LIKE YOURS. Read everything Sanji wrote. then Read the others that aren't breathing anymore. The results for bad choices are severe injury or death and that's no Joke. You can come back from a femur but dead is forever. No one is trying to hold you back. Everyone here wants you to be an old foggy like Amazon ;) giving sound advice to the new kid coming up. You can't do that dead. After reading every reply the one that sticks out is your worried about your container. I jumped one of fast Eddies Rigs with a 260 Lazer in it for over 300 jumps. Paid $800 for the whole rig. Would probably have put another 2-400 on it if my rigger wouldn't have said he wasn't going to repack it anymore since it was over 25 years old. Please do no let buying a rig have ANY factor in your decision if you do please let us know where you jump so I can pick my bounce bingo slots. Blueskies are so much better then Black Death...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I think it is a very personal thing.
It is okay to be allergic to pain, but some are allergic to fun because they are afraid.

It is good to be afraid to a certain degree, but you have to be confident and if you know what your goals are, i think some can go a bit faster than others.

One of our instructor is around 60 years old and is very proud, that he never had a injury in 5000 jumps.
He is still on a 150 chute and never went smaller.

He lands very slow and save every time and never had the urge to go faster or smaller.
And i think that is perfectly fine once you made that decision.

But that isn´t meant for everyone, i think it´s intelligent to tell ppl. to take it slow, but not to start a shitstorm because he wants to live his life more risky than others with all it´s consequences.

Today i talked to my "main" instructor, who took care of me from AFF to present. He is a very experienced swooper and i think he is not a person who would give advice without thinking it through completely.

I trust him a lot and his opinion has a huge weight for me.
I jump with him from time to time and he is at the DZ almost every weekende, so he knows my skills.

I told him about the discussion in this forum and asked for his opinion.
He said, he can fully understand that everyone is telling me not to do it, simply because no one knows me and my skills.
It would be stupid to tell a person you don´t know, go for it!

He says i am a very prudently and responsibly person from what he saw when i was piloting my chute and thinks it shouldn´t be too big of a risk to go for a 135.
He made clear, that it is definitely a big step and if i do so, i have to join another CCC and be very carefull.

He also made clear, that he is telling ME, that he thinks it´s okay, most other he wouldn´t recommend that step so soon.

It is interesting to see how ppl. react when they know me in person and jump with me and ppl. who don´t know me.
Don´t get me wrong, everyone adds the fact, that it is a risk and i have to know if i want to take it or not.

But they are confident that i could manage it.

At the end it is obviously my decision, but i think it is a smart move to get as much information and opinions as i can get before making my decision.

Good thing, i will meet a CCC Instructor next weekend, i will ask him too.
From this point on i´m just curious what people think, very interesting.

Even tough i appreciate your comments, i have the feeling everyone is overreacting to my thread.
I ask this questions and within the first responses i get linked to a dude who swoopt a 270 way too low and almost died.

Some of the responses have nothing to do with my topic.
I bet now it´s hailing shit again, because i am not sure in my decision, but still trying to be honest and i get very different input from 2 sides.

I am still very new to this sport and gaining as much input as i can get should be my main goal before making a decision.
To aks why i opened this Thread if I "already made up my mind", this is why....
The advice to "man up" and make this decision by my own is the worst advice i got so far. You sir are not a smart man.

FYI I still think i will keep my 150

Very thought out response but you missed it completely as to why they link Sanji. The story IS the same as are the countless others. I don't have the photographic memory of shotgun so I don't remember the dead unless they touched my life but please do not think you are different then any of them because your not. That's what got them dead or in a wheelchair..think they were DIFFERENT...well now they really are different then everyone else they aren't breathing anymore. Its your life but please be considerate and think of those left behind..Blueskies...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

enta

He said, he can fully understand that everyone is telling me not to do it, simply because no one knows me and my skills.

You don't realise this because you are new, but this line here is a cliche. The people who are about to all jump on you are not going to be the jackasses now - just be aware that this phrase here is what set them off.

I (and the canopy coaches I drink with) would never give anyone the advice you just got - what he is suggesting you do is so far beyond what is considered safe even for exceptional people that it's hard to describe.

It's not a question of you vs other people - it's just a terrible idea, period.

The thing is, you might well get away with it. You probably will be fine. But despite that, you should not do this.

(EDIT: I think you know this already. Your instinct to hang on to your 150 seems good, and that kind of instinct will serve you well in your jumping career.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

It is okay to be allergic to pain, but some are allergic to fun because they are afraid.

It is good to be afraid to a certain degree, but you have to be confident and if you know what your goals are, i think some can go a bit faster than others.

I do know a little bit about going VERY FAST[;) and I have a had a LOT of fun in the skies in a few different disciplines. Flying your body and your canopy is hella cool.. but it boils down to that last few millimeters when your body returns to the planet.

It's not about fear.. it is about prudence.
You do not know what you do not know YET.
Some people need to experience adversity for themselves, as opposed to others that have spent a lifetime watching others change their lives and their families lives by faulty decision making.

I couln't care less whether you jump a Velo 75 with 300 jumps or a Navigator 260. I really don't care if you hurt or kill yourself.
I give about zero fucks on you and your pathetic life.
And as long as YOU are the ONLY person affected by your own decisions you can do whatever the fuck you want.

BUT:

You are NOT independent, you are never alone, you are not autarkic and you are NOT only responsible for yourself,
and you just CAN'T the fuck clean up after you when you pounded your sorry ass in at whatever place you decided to 'play it safe'.

The worst is not the pain, the rehab or the part, where you have to shit in your own bed because you can't get to the toilet by yourself.
The worries and horrors you infused your buddies, girlfriend and family with because THEY had to watch and THEY had to clean up after you are the worst.
You let them down because you thought the little rush was worth it and you didn't think ahead that one time.
You are not feeling anything when you are dead but others are. Have you prepared them properly?

Been there, done that.
I made my friends think they just watched me die. Accomplishement unlocked!

The thing is, I also don't care for your family and friends.
Not only because I'm an asshole but also because I will probably never get to know them.
But what I do care about is when I come to a DZ and they don't let me swoop there because some sorry ass pounded himself in while playing it safe under whatever small canopy he could find.
Other DZ see this and ban swooping and smaller parachute sizes alltogether. The media coverage leads the whuffos to think that we are all a bunch of adrenalinjunkies and that jumping should be banned in general because its just irresponsible and dangerous.

You see where this is going... I'm exaggerating but you might get the point

There is no race to win and if you don't know how to speed up the landings on your 150 pay somebody to show you.

*rant off*
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

I already thought you were a dumbass for posting such a question, with your replies you erased every doubt about it :P

pretty forgiving canopy... HA!
You know nothing, Jon Snow!

Go ahead and be a man that can make his own decisions!
I did and it was awesome. Especially the part where I could't shit for 7 days and a fat, ugly nurse put a suppository inside my anus.

I like my drama as I like my coke

sparkling...

ETA: 12.09.2017 jump 587

To absent friends

And I already thought you are not the brightest star in the sky.

Really sorry to hear you didn´t like your fat ugly nurse, but seems like karma.
Please tell me your i bet very interesting story about how you fucked up, maybe it will help.

But trolling and wimping around won´t help me at all.

Edit: Seems like the really helpfull things are said.
Thanks to the few people really interested in helping and giving usefull advice. You´re da real mvp.

Now that Drama seems to take over the Thread i will stop commenting, it´s leading nowhere.

blue skies

If I am ever going to tell you my story it will start like this:

I was just like you :)

You got more from this thread than you could have ever asked for.
Now you just need to understand.

Go out and jump, that's what it's all about, isn't it?

To absent friends

I can't find the thread now, but just a couple days ago I was browsing the forums hoping to learn from other peoples' questions, advice, or mistakes, and I saw a posting by Skymama, if memory serves correctly, about this very topic.

It was a list of recurring phrases uttered from the mouths of newbies at various DZs throught the years. It was about how so many people are coming into the sport believing that they are the exception, the cream of the crop, the 1 in 1000 gifted athletes.

People with 20 jumps and a Go Pro on their bran new helmet, or the ones that say their instructors told them that compared to the other students, they are unique little snowflakes.

It's funny to read that, and then just days later, actually watch it unfold.

enta

And I already thought you are not the brightest star in the sky.

Really sorry to hear you didn´t like your fat ugly nurse, but seems like karma.
Please tell me your i bet very interesting story about how you fucked up, maybe it will help.

But trolling and wimping around won´t help me at all.

Edit: Seems like the really helpfull things are said.
Thanks to the few people really interested in helping and giving usefull advice. You´re da real mvp.

Now that Drama seems to take over the Thread i will stop commenting, it´s leading nowhere.

blue skies

Some of us (I hope I was one of them) were trying to give you good advice. After reading your last couple of comments, I'm sorry I responded to you at all. Your true colors are now in broad view.

It now appears to me that you are looking for validation for a decision you've already made. Sorry, that validation is not forthcoming. Good luck on the postage stamp.

Before 12-31-15!!!!! Who cares how many jumps. [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I ask you the question I get asked every time I think I want to downsize:
WHY do you want a smaller canopy?
You day you want to go faster, though you haven't done any maneuvers on your 150 that would add speed. Why not do some downwind landings, add weight, or add performance to your turns on your 150 before you downsize. All those $$$ you are ready to spend on a new container and canopies are better spent on more jumps and more coaching now.

enta

It is good to be afraid to a certain degree, but you have to be confident and if you know what your goals are, i think some can go a bit faster than others...

...FYI I still think i will keep my 150

First off, there's a difference between "Not having fun because of fear" and "reckless and dangerous behavior'

Second, what about 'false confidence.'

You are getting the "shitstorm" because too many people have seen "you" before. Too many of "youse" have made the decision, and paid a very high price for it.

There are instructors out there who will tell beginners that it's ok to progress fast. I have no problems calling them idiots. To their face if necessary.

You want to downsize to a 135, yet haven't landed your 150 on rears yet. Why not? What if a toggle or steering line breaks?
You also haven't done any induced speed landings either. Again, why not? If you want a beginning of an idea of what it's like to land a smaller canopy, make yours go faster on approach. It's not a direct comparison, because the flare will be different, but it's a start.

But it's your choice. And you will probably be ok.

After all, if you are careful, you might get away with it long enough to learn how to handle it, so when (not if, when) something funky happens on landing, you don't hurt yourself...

Much.

But is it worth it?
With 80 jumps on the 150, you are just learning the flight characteristics. And it's easier to learn and more forgiving to make mistakes (if you don't make any mistakes, you aren't pushing your limits) under a bigger canopy.

A lot of people who downsized fast have later said that it was a mistake and that they were lucky not to have gotten hurt. They also said that downsizing too fast slowed their progress instead of helping it.

What's going to be more fun - A larger canopy that you can push to your limits (and eventually the canopy's)? Or a small, twitchy "rocket" that you can only land straight in because you have to be "careful"? One that you are rightly afraid of, because it's limits are so far beyond your own?

You seem to have decided to stay on the 150. Good on you. I hope when (if) you decide to downsize, that you do it for the right reasons, and with the proper skills and experience to do so safely.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

enta

At the moment I have a sabre 2 150 (80 Jumps on it) and i think i will go with a 135 next season.

You know fuck all about that canopy with only 80 jumps on it. I have 226 jumps on my 150, and I still get surprised every once in a while. I also weigh a lot less than you, and have taken a few canopy courses with PD as well.