enta

With 200 Jumps loading 1,46 (Sabre 2 135)

You are a disrespectful piece of shit. Many people gave you their honest opinion and all you can do is come back to shit on them. If this is how you feel then this should be your last post here since no ones experience or opinion is worth anything to you.

One thing you might want to consider is the consequences of one side being wrong.

If the people telling you not to downsize, and to stay on your current wing for a lot longer, are wrong, then that means that you will have several hundred jumps on a more boring canopy. Packing might be a little harder.

If the people telling you downsizing is fine are wrong, then you increase your chance of injury, paralysis, or death.

So, at this point in your skydiving career, do you feel qualified to decide which side is right or wrong? If so, then do as you believe is right. If not, then decide whether you're willing to incur the risks (not only to yourself, but to your DZ, friends, and family).

Very different opinions.

I'm going to assume that was not intended as a reply to me, though you replied to my post. If it was intended as a reply to me, I don't see where anything I said was "shit[ting] on" anyone or disrespectful in any way.

Following your posts it appears that your mind is made up.

But in the interest of giving you a datapoint. I've got just under 500 jumps and am on exactly the same wingloading that you are proposing on a Sabre 2 135.

I love canopy flight, am 40 years old and struggle with depth perception. This means that my landings often really suck and I know that I am below average. I've about 100 jumps on the 135 and I am still finding that I am really having to concentrate hard on landing on no wind days.

Added to the above, the most confronting skydiving fatality I have witnessed was a person turning a Sabre 2 135 into the ground approximately 10m from me and my kids. The sound of the impact still haunts me 12 years later.

Having considered that I am jumping much less, and the fact that I am thinking about landing as I setup in the door, I've decided to sell the canopy. I've got a 149 Crossfire on order - I've gone brand new as I won't be downsizing, this canopy will last me the rest of my jumping career.

I've jumped a Crossfire and it has the ability to really get thrown around, but more importantly for me at the lower wingloading I can just relax and fly it slowly when I want to. I'm highly unlikely to be a "current" jumper and will probably stick to doing 3-5 jumps a month for the foreseeable future.

My thoughts are stay on the 150, travel meet new skydivers experience different dropzones and weather patterns. Some of the best skydivers I know only downsized every 1000 jumps or so. You perform better and learn more when you aren't at the limit of your adrenaline arousal curve as well.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

JWest

***and you've proved my point....

Picking on a guy that isn't a native english speaker.

Dude. That's not why he's 'picking' on him. It's because he's a recalcitrant ignoramus. Perhaps you haven't read through this thread.

Why don't you sit back, relax, and read some more experienced jumpers' posts until your own jumps/posts ratio is higher than 1:1? Or go practice re-stowing your brakes during canopy flight. :Shttp://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4758715;#4758715
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

ghost47

You are a disrespectful piece of shit. Many people gave you their honest opinion and all you can do is come back to shit on them. If this is how you feel then this should be your last post here since no ones experience or opinion is worth anything to you.

One thing you might want to consider is the consequences of one side being wrong.

If the people telling you not to downsize, and to stay on your current wing for a lot longer, are wrong, then that means that you will have several hundred jumps on a more boring canopy. Packing might be a little harder.

If the people telling you downsizing is fine are wrong, then you increase your chance of injury, paralysis, or death.

So, at this point in your skydiving career, do you feel qualified to decide which side is right or wrong? If so, then do as you believe is right. If not, then decide whether you're willing to incur the risks (not only to yourself, but to your DZ, friends, and family).

Very different opinions.

I'm going to assume that was not intended as a reply to me, though you replied to my post. If it was intended as a reply to me, I don't see where anything I said was "shit[ting] on" anyone or disrespectful in any way.

You are correct. I quoted the wrong post. :)

What is the point of asking if you only look for people to tell you to go for it and ignore solid advice? Do what you want and stop posting. EVERY SINGLE THREAD about downsizing aggressively ends exactly the same. It's your life and in the end you will have to make your own decision and live with the consequences.

Hallelujah! You have finally come to realization of who you are. That's the first step accepting who you are....Proud of you son..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Lukasz_Se

What is the point of asking if you only look for people to tell you to go for it and ignore solid advice? Do what you want and stop posting. EVERY SINGLE THREAD about downsizing aggressively ends exactly the same. It's your life and in the end you will have to make your own decision and live with the consequences.

I agree with you, I have no idea why he came for advice if he knows whats good for him.

Baboonredbutt

***What is the point of asking if you only look for people to tell you to go for it and ignore solid advice? Do what you want and stop posting. EVERY SINGLE THREAD about downsizing aggressively ends exactly the same. It's your life and in the end you will have to make your own decision and live with the consequences.

I agree with you, I have no idea why he came for advice if he knows whats good for him.

It's not just the downsizing that's the issue. Honestly, it's a dumb move, but someone with the right attitude might be able to get away with it...
The problem is that the OP has displayed an extremely juvenile and dangerous attitude - 'fuck you all, I'm right' is not someone you want to be in the air with, regardless of what they're flying.

Regarding dz.com never advocating aggressive downsizing - you're right. In an environment where you have no idea about the skills or attitude of the person posting would you really suggest a course of action that seriously increases their chance of an accident? If so, that's a problem with you, not with this board.

The only thing we can go on is what a poster puts up here. From this thread we have arrogant, argumentative and with questionable judgement. All of those are huge red flags for someone who is asking to buck the normal method of canopy progression.

This thread ran its course a long time ago, but this 'don't ask on DZ.com if you want to downsize' thing that's been mentioned a few times really bugs me. It's like saying 'don't mention that you're planning on getting loaded and doing some 1/4 miles on the way home while you're at work...' Just because you'd get called a jerk for that doesn't mean they're wrong.

Jeeze, guys, ease up will ya?

If you haven't read the whole thread, let me summarize briefly:

1. In the OP he stated he was going to downsize, and gave his experience with his current canopy and the reasons he was doing so, and was just looking for a second opinion, although he seemed pretty fixed on doing the downsize.
2. Many here advised him not to, with a variety of reasons and perspectives.
3. Initially he was resistant, kind of arguing/pushing back.
4. Then it finally sunk in and *HE CHANGED HIS MIND*, and decided, based on the advice he got here, that he would stick with his current canopy.

I mean, come on, what more do you want? It's a DZ.com thread success story. Congratulate him! Who cares if he doesn't yet realize each and every god damn wrong thought he had on the subject? What is gained?

He's still relatively new (as am I) and hopefully after a few more hundred jumps when the thought of downsizing occurs to him again, he will have more time and experience and wisdom and will approach the decision in a better way. Right now, how about giving it a rest and wish him well?

+1 our sport only survives because of personal responsibility when people show they do not have it then we as a community need to help them find it our drive them out (tar and feather's need to make a come back)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

+1 our sport only survives because of personal responsibility when people show they do not have it then we as a community need to help them find it our drive them out (tar and feather's need to make a come back)

Clearly, this sport needs more oversight! ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."