MichaelMoore

Perris Jet retired?

mjosparky

***You can get a Student Pilot Certificate by going to the FSDO, or an examiner, and asking for one.

I you don't have a current 3rd. class medical your Student Pilot Certificate is not valid. ;)

Sparky
If you're over 14 years of age, you can get an SPC and act as PIC (Solo) of a glider or balloon without a medical certificate. And, if you're over 16 y/o, you can fly a sport plane with a driver's license in lieu of a medical certificate.
What if the Bible had been written by Stephen King?

When I was at Perris last April, I was told the engines needed an overhaul. This is expensive, as you can imagine. The jet must be passenger rated, which means an annual inspection that runs about 100K for a DC-10 (so I'm told). So, I'm guessing that they never want to say never, but a jet jump is probably somewhat off in the future. And I really want to make one, yes.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

normiss

No, not that fast or easy.

You're right, there's a form to fill out.

§ 61.85 Application.

An application for a student pilot certificate is made on a form and in a manner provided by the Administrator and is submitted to:

(a) A designated aviation medical examiner if applying for an FAA medical certificate under part 67 of this chapter;

(b) An examiner; or

(c) A Flight Standards District Office.

normiss

(a) A designated aviation medical examiner if applying for an FAA medical certificate under part 67 of this chapter;

From 8900.2 (which is the handbook for Designated Examiners)

Section 3. Issue a Student Pilot Certificate

38. General. There are two types of student pilot certificates. An Aviation Medical Examiner
(AME) issues an FAA Form 8420-2, “Medical Certificate _____ Class and Student Pilot
Certificate” (Figure 7-18), to an applicant who meets the requirements of part 61 subpart C, for a
student pilot certificate. FAA Form 8420-2 serves as both a medical certificate and a student
pilot certificate. DPEs issue FAA Form 8710-2, “Student Pilot Certificate” (Figure 7-19), to
qualified student pilot applicants. FAA Form 8710-2 serves only as a student pilot certificate.

a. Applicants with Medical Certificates. An applicant may hold FAA Form 8500-9,
Medical Certificate _____ Class (white copy). This certificate does not impart student pilot
privileges. The applicant must obtain a student pilot certificate from an examiner or the FSDO in
order to exercise privileges as a student pilot.
8/16/10 8900.2 CHG 1
7-55

b. Applicants Who Need Medical Certificates. For aircraft that require medical
certificates, the applicant must hold at least a valid third class medical.

c. Gliders and Balloons. An applicant who intends to pilot only balloons or gliders,
including self-launch gliders, need not have an airman medical certificate. The applicant is
issued FAA Form 8710-2.

d. Examiner Authorization. An examiner may issue a student pilot certificate to a
qualified applicant without regard to the category or class of aircraft the applicant intends to
pilot. Any examiner may issue an FAA Form 8710-2 (Figure 7-19) regardless of the category
and class of aircraft or grade of pilot certification authorized by the examiner’s COA. However,
if the student pilot has medical limitations that need to be shown on the medical portion of the
student pilot certificate then only a medical examiner or an FAA office may issue the student
pilot certificate.

39. Nonrenewable. Student pilot certificates are not renewable. Upon expiration of a student
pilot certificate, the airman may apply for a new student pilot certificate, using the same process
as for the original issuance.

a. Endorsements. The student pilot should keep the original certificate bearing all of the
endorsements that remain valid. The holder of an expired student pilot certificate must meet the
same requirements as for the original certificate.

b. Additional Aircraft Endorsements. If the space for instructor endorsements is full, and
the student is seeking endorsements for additional types of aircraft, a DPE may issue a second
student pilot certificate clearly marked “FOR RECORD PURPOSES ONLY.” The second
student pilot certificate will have the same expiration date as the original. The original is issued
to the student and the duplicate copy destroyed (Figure 7-19). There is no requirement for FAA
Form 8710-1.

40. Procedures.

a. Review Application. Verify that the information on the FAA Form 8710-1 is presented
accurately and legibly and is complete.

(1) In section I, ensure that the applicant has checked the box labeled “Student.”

(2) Ensure that the remainder of the application is filled out according to the guidance in
chapter 7, section 2, paragraph 27.
Note: Sections II and III of FAA Form 8710-1 do not have to be completed for
issuance of an original student pilot certificate.

b. Verify Applicant’s Identity. Ensure acceptable forms of identification establish the
applicant’s identity in accordance with the procedures described in chapter 7, section 2,
paragraph 25.

(1) Compare the forms of identification with the personal information provided by the
applicant on FAA Form 8710-1.

(2) When the applicant’s identity is verified, continue.

(3) If the applicant’s identity cannot be verified because of lack of identification or
inadequate identification, explain what types of identification are acceptable. Instruct the
applicant to return with appropriate identification.

(4) If the applicant’s identity appears to be different from the information supplied on
the application, or it appears that an attempt at falsification has been made, immediately report
the matter to the managing FAA office and discontinue the task.

c. Establish Eligibility. Determine that the applicant meets the eligibility requirements for
a student pilot certificate (see § 61.83).

(1) If the applicant cannot read, speak, write, or understand English in accordance with
chapter 7, section 2, paragraph 7d, then the certification process should be terminated unless the
reason is because of a medical disability. If the reason for the applicant not being able to read,
speak, write, and understand English is because of a medical disability (meaning a hearing
impairment or speech impairment that is medically substantiated by a certified medical
physician), then an operating limitation may be placed on the person’s pilot/instructor certificate.
A medical disability of this kind may require an operating limitation be placed on the person’s
pilot certificate that prohibits the pilot from operating in airspace that requires the use of
communication radios. However, as a matter of clarification, this limitation would not
necessarily prohibit a pilot from operating in airspace that requires the use of communication
radios if the pilot has received prior authorization from the jurisdictional air traffic facility where
the flight is being conducted, and the pilot is able to receive instructions from that air traffic
facility via light signals or some other form of electronic means of communication.

(2) Determine which category of aircraft the applicant intends to fly.

(a) If the applicant intends to fly gliders or balloons, the applicant must be at least
14 years of age and complete section I.

(b) If the applicant intends to fly light sport aircraft, the applicant must be at least
16 years of age and hold a current airman medical certificate or valid U.S. driver’s license.

(c) If the applicant intends to fly airplanes or rotorcraft, the applicant must be at
least 16 years of age and hold a current medical certificate and complete section I.

(3) If a medical certificate is required and the applicant does not have one, advise the
applicant to obtain an airman medical certificate or a student medical certificate from an AME.

(4) If the applicant is ineligible, inform the applicant how the discrepancies may be
corrected. An FAA Form 8060-5 is not required and need not be issued.

d. Applicant Meets Requirements. If the applicant meets all of the requirements for a
student pilot certificate, prepare an FAA Form 8710-2, sign, and have the applicant sign, in ink,
both the original and the copy.

(1) The FAA Form 8710-2 should be typewritten, but may be handwritten.
Note: The examiner should advise the applicant that an airman medical
certificate or valid U.S. driver’s license is required to solo airplanes, airships,
weight shift control, powered parachutes, and/or gyroplanes.

(2) The examiner should inform a student pilot seeking a sport pilot certificate that he or
she will not act as pilot in command:

(a) Of an aircraft other than a light sport aircraft;
(b) At night;
(c) At an altitude of more than 10,000 feet mean sea level (MSL);
(d) In Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace,
and to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational control tower without having
received the ground and flight training specified in § 61.94 and an endorsement from an
authorized instructor; and
(e) Must comply with the provisions of § 61.89(a) and 61.89(b).

(3) The examiner should issue the original to the applicant and inform the applicant that
the certificate expires 24 or 36 calendar-months after the date it was issued, as appropriate.

e. Complete Certification File. Complete and sign the “Designated Examiner’s Report”
section of FAA Form 8710-1 or FAA Form 8710-11, as appropriate. Attach the duplicate copy of
the student pilot certificate to the form and forward the certification file to the managing FAA
office within 7 calendar-days. Unless otherwise directed by the FAA office, IACRA certification
files may be sent directly to AFS-760.

f. Subsequent Issuance. If a student pilot certificate has expired, issue a new certificate,
following the same procedures as for an original issuance. The flight instructor’s endorsements
on the expired certificate may not be transferred to the new certificate. The student pilot retains
the expired certificate as a record of the endorsements.

The discussion was about how to join AOPA by getting a student pilot certificate. It had nothing to do with medicals.

My point still stands, if someone wanted to get a student pilot certificate all they would need to do is go down to the FSDO and ask for one, they'll issue it on the spot.

erdnarob

I jumped twice too. First time ever in 1992 and another time in 1998. It was a cargo Boeing 727

I thought the coolest part about the whole deal was being in an airplane with 179 other skydivers!
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

SansSuit

***I jumped twice too. First time ever in 1992 and another time in 1998. It was a cargo Boeing 727

I thought the coolest part about the whole deal was being in an airplane with 179 other skydivers!I would have loved that too, but I think I would have been even more impressed to be 140 in a helicopter :Dhttp://www.deltaevasion.com/histo02.html
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

My guess is that the purchaser intends to salvage components (valves, hydraulic cylinders, etc.) and sell them to people who still fly DC-9s. Even if the engines are too old to overhaul, they can still provide hundreds of small parts to an engine overhaul shop.

I'd be impressed if the Conatsers got 1.1 million for a short body DC 9
with one timed out JT8 engine. The DC 9 was clean as a whistle though. Really nice inside and out. Old steam guage panel though.

2 million might buy John Fry's (Fry's Electronics) luxury 747SP in airworthy condition. It's listed at 3,000,000 but no takers. Of course a 747 would not make much of a jumpship.

This C 133 was the bargain of all time. $6500. Could have carried many hundreds of jumpers. Was jumped by USAF in a test. https://sites.google.com/site/boeing377/c133

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.