askir

PLEASE CHECK YOUR GEAR!!!

First off, there should be NO REASON to remove the reserve ripcord handle from the pocket during the check. That being said, as a separate check, I believe you should remove the ripcord from the pocket occasionally so you get the general feel of the process (and to make sure your hateful ex hasn't sewn the pocket shut with some really strong nylon thread>:(). Removing the ripcord from the pocket too often will wear out the velcro prematurely and you don't want that. I like to remove and pull the reserve ripcord at the end of the repack cycle with my rigger watching. Most riggers like to see the pilot chute launch, but I believe most riggers do not want the rig dropped off with the reserve already deployed (unless it was used as a save).

Now for the check. Stand the rig up on the pilot chute pouch (BOC) and open the reserve flap. Check to ensure the pin is seated properly - I repeat - check to ensure the pin is seated properly. Next, with just your thumb and index finger (pointer) grasp the cable at a point above the pin near the area where it goes into the housing. With your other hand grasp the other end of the cable just above where the ball is attached. At this point, you can pull on the cable with the hand that is at the pin end of the cable - pulling TOWARDS the pin. The other hand will move up accordingly. Now use the hand at the ball end of the cable to pull the slack out of the cable that you just created. I do this two or three times. The cable should travel freely in the housing. If it doesn't, you need to ask a rigger to check it out before you jump it.

Jon

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1448166#1448166

Edited to add link

Maintenance issue like this are one of the reasons I don't want to see the repack cycle extended for commercial users.

I understand your concerns, but that picture looks like a pincheck concern (caused by, among other things, too short of a ripcord?). I don't think the length of the maintenance cycle is cause or cure for this.