2 2
ryoder

Justice Breyer to retire

17 hours ago, BIGUN said:

There's a big difference between a speech from the oval office and a press conference. 

Well, Biden actually holds press conferences.

How long did Trump go without a real one?

12 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Gotta tell you but you are neither funny or interesting anymore. It's no surprise so many here have you blocked, You must be proud.

Anymore?
You mean he was at one time?

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

Politics is nasty and getting worse. Plenty of bad actors on both sides. Where are the moderate Dems and Reps that should be addressing the problems the country has? Why are the extreme minorities running the show? A part of reason is that is what happens when there is a weak leader.

The mess at the border and illegal actions being ignored are a huge problem. That problem will be raised and the country deserves answers. The reports that have recently come out are alarming.

First, off, what "moderate Republicans?
They've all become hostage to Trump and the Trumpettes.
The ones that believe the election was stolen.

Every R has voted against everything Biden has proposed.
McConnell has said, again, that his only agenda is blocking Biden from accomplishing anything.

What "mess at the border"? 
Seriously, there are people trying to cross into the US. Some illegally, some trying to claim asylum. 
Many of the illegals are arrested & deported. The asylum seekers are processed as always (Note: Those seeking asylum are NOT here 'illegally').
How is this different than ever before?
Other than the lies and propaganda about the 'crisis' that Fox and the rest of the Right Wing Universe are spewing.
What 'illegal actions' are being ignored?

• Like 1

(edited)
55 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

True and I disagree with blaming him. ...

No argument. I was a fan.       

You're entirely correct that Biden is MIA in selling his agenda to the people. He should have press conferences weekly or bi-monthly. His BBB plan needs action. He needs to grab Nancy Pelosi by the scruff of her scarf. Round up Romney, Liz, Adam and the Dem holdouts. Bring them all over to the WH and nobody goes home until there is unanimous agreement on what is spent. Then get it passed.

With inflation rising additional spending may not be the best plan for America. But there is infrastructure that needs address. The passing of a smaller BBB deal would likely lead to a quick withdrawal of FED bond buying. So likely have no impact on inflation overall.

What he has failed in and Pelosi, Adam Schiff and the other democrat leaders have fumbled. Is any attempt to split the GOP leadership from their base. By initiating moderate spending plans. By making efforts to sideswipe McConnell and the trump agenda. By exposing the radical elements of the GOP that refuses to compromise. Biden promised to reach out in his campaign and his inauguration. He hasn't and if he doesn't get busy Brent may be right for the second time in his life.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

That is the fringe right. 

I've seen reports that something like 60%+ of Rs believe the lie that the election was 'stolen'.

Two thirds is not the 'fringe'.

I'd like to believe that the moderate right is growing, but I'm not seeing much of it.

Trump and his idiots have a very strong grip on the party.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I've seen reports that something like 60%+ of Rs believe the lie that the election was 'stolen'.

Those reports were from 1st QTR last year. 

3 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'd like to believe that the moderate right is growing, but I'm not seeing much of it.

That could be a factor of geography. It is growing, but it also takes time for people to retract from a definitive earlier position. 

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That grip is slipping. 

10 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

That could be a factor of geography. It is growing, but it also takes time for people to retract from a definitive earlier position. 

That grip is slipping. 

Bigun, you have a much more nuanced view of the conservative side of our country -- I really hope you're right. Because we need some commonality. We all live here, we all belong here.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
54 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not according to the polls

44 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

That grip is slipping. 

You are correct.

32 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Bigun, you have a much more nuanced view of the conservative side of our country -- I really hope you're right. Because we need some commonality. We all live here, we all belong here.

Wendy P.

Actually it appears he is right. But Wendy is correct the country needs moderation. More so than any other country. "America is exceptional in the nature of its political divide" Pew research 2020 study.

24 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

True. 

and it looks as if midterms are swinging to a newer GOP middle ground.

From last week Gallup, "by the final quarter of the year that had shifted sharply to a 5-point Republican advantage, according to Gallup's aggregate data.

"Both the 9-point Democratic advantage in the first quarter and the 5-point Republican edge in the fourth quarter are among the largest Gallup has measured for each party in any quarter since it began regularly measuring party identification and leaning in 1991,"

IMO a swing vote this fast and large represents independent minds as the fringes of both parties have been fixed for a while.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, billeisele said:

Politics is nasty and getting worse. Plenty of bad actors on both sides. Where are the moderate Dems and Reps that should be addressing the problems the country has? Why are the extreme minorities running the show? A part of reason is that is what happens when there is a weak leader.

The mess at the border and illegal actions being ignored are a huge problem. That problem will be raised and the country deserves answers. The reports that have recently come out are alarming.

"A part of reason is that is what happens when there is a weak leader."

Besides his age and a speech impediment can you think of anything that might be hindering Biden's Presidency?

"The mess at the border and illegal actions being ignored are a huge problem. That problem will be raised and the country deserves answers. The reports that have recently come out are alarming."

Please flesh out these bald claims and attribute the reports.

(edited)
2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

The reports that have recently come out are alarming."

Please flesh out these bald claims and attribute the reports.

He's talking/inferring about the "Secret" night flights of illegal immigrants. 

ETA: Based on what I can find, it would appear these flights are HHS flights for children. About 1.5% of "illegals" and where a majority have been subjected to sex-trafficking. IMO: I will forego the criteria of the "illegal immigrant and asylum" argument for the sake of kids getting to a safe place and out of that environment. We are the US and that's what we should do.   

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, kallend said:

On the whole I prefer a f'n idiot to an evil illiterate narcissistic arrogant lying ignoramus.  But YMMV.

I agree - but the only real difference between the two is literacy. Boris is possibly slightly less evil as well but its the same basic template.

22 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

He's talking/inferring about the "Secret" night flights of illegal immigrants. 

ETA: Based on what I can find, it would appear these flights are HHS flights for children. About 1.5% of "illegals" and where a majority have been subjected to sex-trafficking. IMO: I will forego the criteria of the "illegal immigrant and asylum" argument for the sake of kids getting to a safe place and out of that environment. We are the US and that's what we should do.   

Oh, you mean extraordinary renditions for children? 

Just now, BIGUN said:

OK We can do the short version.  

I think for most people if they're told they're going to an extraordinary rendition they'd think they were going to see happy children singing songs not being hog tied, hooded and flown through the night to an unknown country where there aren't one phone calls, there are no lawyers and most definitely there are no happy children singing songs. So maybe, we can give Biden a back pat for improving things a bit.

32 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I think for most people if they're told they're going to an extraordinary rendition they'd think they were going to see happy children singing songs not being hog tied, hooded and flown through the night to an unknown country where there aren't one phone calls, there are no lawyers and most definitely there are no happy children singing songs. So maybe, we can give Biden a back pat for improving things a bit.

Do you really think things changed when Biden relieved Trump who relieved Obama who relieved Bush? 

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not the ones I read.

WaPo poll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/07/republicans-big-lie-trump/

46% "Definitely not legit"

25% "Probably not"

Unfortunately there is a middle ground of voters. For them the price of gas, meat and potatoes trumps a good economy. The DJIA doesn't matter because the only stocks they own hold the actions of their guns. The conditioning that they get each night from FOX teaches them to hate Washington. To hate government.

For them history is last weeks trip to Walmart where the price of ammo was up.Oh well, like MLK's speech "I had a dream". The dream of a national brotherhood, a national reconciliation, seems to be as short lived as King's life.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

For them history is last weeks trip to Walmart where the price of ammo was up.

Feb of last year: "Biden SUCKS!  He's pandering to China and making them stronger economically. Why are we helping China by making the trade imbalance worse?"

This year: "Biden SUCKS!  All the cheap Chinese stuff I want to buy at Wal Mart is more expensive now!"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Washington Post. 'nuff said. 

I would point out that many D supporters said that Trump was illegitimately elected due to Russian interference. People hate to lose and they hate when their team loses. Rs are just louder about it because it's in their nature to complain.

11 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not the ones I read.

WaPo poll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/07/republicans-big-lie-trump/

46% "Definitely not legit"

25% "Probably not"

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Washington Post. 'nuff said. 

Those numbers are consistent with polls from NPR and PEW.  IMO they are accurate. While the WP has a consistent left wing orientation to its editorials. Its accuracy is well respected.

• Like 1