2 2
ryoder

Justice Breyer to retire

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Kallend made a joke. You reply with "Please.  Try that.  Thanks." Why? Is what is happening to our nation that funny for you? Get things straight, the right is splitting the republic. The damage done by the election of Trump, his refusal to concede peacefully, his attempted coup by insurrection, his year plus long lie about a stolen election and the inability of people like you and Brent to see that you are not a part of the solution are what is dividing the nation. 

That damage was being done long before Trump.

Trump was barely running when McConnell refused to do his constitutional duty and hold hearings for Garland.
Trump was still declaring bankruptcy on a regular basis and raping teenagers when Gingrich started his garbage (you know him, he's the one who wants to see the Jan 6 committee members 'locked up')

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I don't care if you guys want to try Hillary.  It's simply a waste of time.  And, it will drive a bigger wedge into an already split republic.  Great idea.

Americans en-masse nearly had an aneurysm when a Black President was elected.Now Biden wants.... a Black, woman, lawyer as a SC appointee? I predict winsor will keep another thread alive single-handedly.  That Mitch Mcconnell and Tucker Carlson will echo the meat of the GOP base. A powerful Black woman making decisions on guns and their lives? Never.

21 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

See, it's comments like this that show your true "color." 

Hey, I'm not the one who ran for office promising that I would appoint people to the Supreme Court based on such criteria.

Frankly, I'm not cool with any Justice who rules on the basis of their own opinions.  At worst, what I'd like to hear is "I personally oppose this, but the law is clear on the matter..."

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Americans en-masse nearly had an aneurysm when a Black President was elected.Now Biden wants.... a Black, woman, lawyer as a SC appointee?

Hell, my evangelical parents never got over a Catholic being elected!

No, not that one; I'm talking about JFK.

27 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

See, it's comments like this that show your true "color." 

Actually I was listening to a panel discussing Biden’s judicial appointments, while they all applauded the diversity one panelist lamented that they have yet to appoint, deep thinking intellectual heavyweights to counter the ones appointed by Trump.

Anyone watching the judicial hearings would see that this observation is not unfounded.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

But suggestions of HRC and A. Hill are meant to bring us all together?  What about,

“Biden appoints Hillary, after making secret agreement she will decline the nomination before the vote takes place, but only after lots of GOP heads have exploded. [evil grin]”

You consider that to be just fine, yet you accuse someone who says “go ahead and do it” as divisive 9_9

I believe I am the only one on this thread who gave a serious answer.

You want a cookie? First answer this: why, oh, why is the Biden Administration beleaguered?

29 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You want a cookie? First answer this: why, oh, why is the Biden Administration beleaguered?

https://www.ajc.com/politics/ajc-poll-bidens-approval-in-georgia-takes-a-nosedive/6KNWUXXWRZBQ7P7EC6GG26TXHU/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/26/politics/biden-approval-rating-pew-poll/index.html

beleaguered 

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

OK, in very simple terms: do you believe Trump and his cronies hosed Biden in a way no previous President ever had to endure?

20 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

do you believe Trump and his cronies hosed Biden in a way no previous President ever had to endure?

I'd like to address this, Joe. I would have liked to have seen Biden win and come out swinging. When he was shunned at the inauguration, first words out of his mouth should have been, "Yeah, I don't like losers either" He should have shown strength in his victory and been strong & decisive in speaking with "the people" instead of going back to the "older" politics as usual. 

Every month, he should have given a strong speech from the oval office. 

In my opinion, people would have thought, "Ya know, maybe I got this guy wrong." Instead, people are thinking, they got what was left and just like the sentiments echoed here - he wasn't my choice, but he wasn't Trump either.

Chocolate chip, please. And, not that old hard brittle shit you got in the back. :)  

(edited)
34 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

OK, in very simple terms: do you believe Trump and his cronies hosed Biden in a way no previous President ever had to endure?

The #1 issue on voters minds is inflation and Biden’s money party and war on fossil fuels are primarily responsible.

With regard to previous presidents, Trump comes to mind, with the Ds clamoring about impeachment the day after the election, and an endless series of fruitless investigations and obstruction.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
17 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

There's a big difference between a speech from the oval office and a press conference. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGuyk8xyiI

Ron Burgundy has nothing on Biden when it comes to (mis)reading the teleprompter.

BTW he doesn’t give speeches from the Oval Office 

Edited by brenthutch

16 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I'd like to address this, Joe. I would have liked to have seen Biden win and come out swinging. When he was shunned at the inauguration, first words out of his mouth should have been, "Yeah, I don't like losers either" He should have shown strength in his victory and been strong & decisive in speaking with "the people" instead of going back to the "older" politics as usual. 

In my opinion, people would have thought, "Ya know, maybe I got this guy wrong." Instead, people are thinking, they got what was left and just like the sentiments echoed here - he wasn't my choice, but he wasn't Trump either.

Chocolate chip, please. And, not that old hard brittle shit you got in the back. :)  

We got Biden and Harris. He was going to be who he is, that is not Trump, no one should have wished for more. The miserable fuckers sabotaged his transition in every way possible and didn't stop at that. He's weak, getting pounded, and will likely be a one termer. Even if he would have said  "Yeah, I don't like losers either" he might have stuttered "Yeah, I don't like loose stools either" and Brent would have had another opportunity. I wish he was so strong that the damage done to his administration just bounced off but that's not the case. As it is, he's our President not Trump and we should be grateful.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I wonder if the coverage would have shown any of that, or would some of our illustrious "news" sources simply have shown what they considered to be the lowlights?

Wendy P.

5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Enjoy the cookie. President Biden is getting the blame for inflation now. In his recent speech he said he over delivered and under promised. Many will remember trump saying that if elected the US would see 5%,6% and even seven percent growth.

Well today Biden delivered 5.7 percent, the largest annual increase since 1984. He never asked for applause and it seems as if he never got any. Now when the world needs US leadership to confront Russian aggression in Ukraine. This would be the fifth country Putin wants to invade. Biden and the US have put together another united front. Even republicans have said the US response is correct.

The USSC? Mitch Mcconnell has stated that he won't tolerate any "radical left" nominees. Yet sabotage of the political center of the courts was his previous efforts.

When republicans held power they promised again and again a infrastructure bill. None was ever presented.China has outspent the US over 3-1 in infrastructure over the last decade.

spacer.png

President Biden has done nothing to date to further US division. The same cannot be said from those across the isle. Where are the "moderate republicans" with national interests at heart? Although I'd agree he needs to sell his position better. Its just too bad that many don't recognize the 27% increase in the DJIA. Even after the recent corrections, full employment, with hundreds of thousands of jobs unfilled.

That last moderate republican? He died on August 25, 2018 and only his destroyer remains to wave the flag.

• Like 5

Politics is nasty and getting worse. Plenty of bad actors on both sides. Where are the moderate Dems and Reps that should be addressing the problems the country has? Why are the extreme minorities running the show? A part of reason is that is what happens when there is a weak leader.

The mess at the border and illegal actions being ignored are a huge problem. That problem will be raised and the country deserves answers. The reports that have recently come out are alarming.

10 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

President Biden is getting the blame for inflation now.

True and I disagree with blaming him. The US pumped money into the economy to keep it going at a "little" faster rate than necessary, but it was difficult for even the best of economists to forecast how much was too much and too little which would do less. Factor in those along the supply chain "adding" more than the inflation rate to maintain margins (meat, fuel, etc,) creating a hyperinflation.

Biden and the US have put together another united front. Even republicans have said the US response is correct.

I have to admit being a bit surprised at the level of response in the past 36 hours. Mobilizing and putting on alert most of the "Quick Reaction Forces" is the right amount of response. I had replied to Skydekker that I thought the response would be a lot of words and finger-shaking. 

The USSC? Mitch Mcconnell has stated that he won't tolerate any "radical left" nominees. Yet sabotage of the political center of the courts was his previous efforts.

As mentioned earlier, I've never been a fan of politicizing the USSC. The only factor of weight should be the law. I do not agree with Biden's proclamation of placing a black female on the USSC as the primary matter of criteria. I do believe the criteria should be the matter of law first and if the best person for the job is a "trans-lesbian of color" so be it. In business, I was a frim believer in "blind" interviews, but recognize that's a bit unrealistic when it comes to the USSC. 

China has outspent the US over 3-1 in infrastructure over the last decade.

That is incorrect. It's actually something like three trillion to 146 Billion. But, with that there are two factors, lost money was used to build cities in which no one lives - but they have seriously outpaced us on 5G and technology. that infrastructure spending PLUS becoming the world's manufacturing hub is directly related to China having reduced its poverty levels from 88% to .7% in the past forty years.

That last moderate republican? He died on August 25, 2018 and only his destroyer remains to wave the flag.

No argument. I was a fan.